Play the hidden name game General forum

165 replies. Last post: 2014-06-03

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Play the hidden name game
  • mtbikesman at 2013-12-11

Here is a new game. Hide a famous name in a sentence. Can you find the name in my sentence in quotes?

Hajji was a powerful and evil genie. But Ahab was saying he could be meek and mild. His friend said “Is Hajii meek? Are termites in your brain?”

What famous name is hidden in the quotes? Can you make up such a sentence with a hidden name?

Hint: Repeat this part over and over faster and faster

ji meek are ter

• Elsabio at 2013-12-11

Jimmy Carter?

Jimmy Carter is correct. Now see if you can make up a hidden name sentence.

• Elsabio at 2013-12-12

Ok I'll try it.
    A: “Have you heard about this new town K? "
    B:“what?”
    A: " I say K, new town”

What's the name?

• z at 2013-12-12

Issac Newton

• Elsabio at 2013-12-12

@z Correct. Now it's your turn

• z at 2013-12-12

The entire Utah data center was hazed by an ominous mist after it rained, snowed, and hailed in late May.

• mtbikesman at 2013-12-12

How about a hint, Mister Z

• z at 2013-12-12

Hint

• z at 2013-12-12

Hint 2: This person now lives in this country.

Ed Snowden - the leaker of secrets?

The leper colony was starving so I loaded my catapult with hot dogs and was ready to toss them food. My European friend had the same idea but he called the hot dogs by their European name as used a Trebuchet.

He said “I have Franks in a Trebuchet”

He said “I have Franks in a Trebuchet” (I don't know how the quotes got turned into garbage)

• z at 2013-12-12

@mtbikesman: Correct!

• FatPhil at 2013-12-12

Frank Sinatra-buchet!

FatPhil, go ahead - your turn

• FatPhil at 2013-12-12

After the school reports came in, father of two, Ben, sternly said to his sons Reuben and Zachary “why's Zach 'A's, while you're all 'B's?”

• Taral at 2013-12-12

Isaac Hayes

The congressman yelled at his fellow congressman.

You are an ass and tack laws onto good bills already submitted!

• dougforte at 2013-12-13

Nice, it must be Santa Claus. Sticking with the seasonal theme:

A family member recently obtained an old piano. She thought of removing the dark keys by yanking a screw put into the wood, but someone said, “The ebonies her screw jerks out will likely be splintered and useless.”

• Marius Halsor at 2013-12-13

Ebeneezer scrooge?

• mtbikesman at 2013-12-13

Doug, that was great. Marius, your turn.

• dougforte at 2013-12-13

Thanks. Ebenezer Scrooge is correct, of course, well done Marius.

• mtbikesman at 2013-12-14

At the county fair Jeff and Ann, the judges, would rank the pig stys from best to worst. One year I entered my ant sty and everyone thought it was almost the best. The newspaper headline reported (Are you ready for this?)

Judges Ann and Jeff rank ant sty near the top.

• William Fraser at 2013-12-14

Frankenstein.

• William Fraser at 2013-12-14

Assuming I am correct in my guess, is it Marius' exalted turn or mine?

• mtbikesman at 2013-12-14

William, go ahead and take your turn. We can always have two at a time.

• Marius Halsor at 2013-12-15

Two soldiers relaxes by a large tree when their sergeant comes running. “We're going to the front!” he shouts. “Who, us?” asks one of the soldiers. “Yes, us!” cries the sergeant. And the sarge and his men marches off to war.

• FatPhil at 2013-12-15

Cheese's Crust?

• Marius Halsor at 2013-12-15

I THINK it's spelled differently, Phil, but I believe you have figured it out.

• FatPhil at 2013-12-15

Of course, I've ruined a possible future entry that I might have made. Now I have to think… :-(

• FatPhil at 2013-12-15

I hope the cheeky scumbags hanging around the traffic lights aren't going to squeegie my car today, and then beg for money like they do every other day.

• William Fraser at 2013-12-15

@mkbikesman Actually, I did take my turn(!) I guess I hid it well enough.

• FatPhil at 2013-12-15

ted turner

• FatPhil at 2013-12-15

I have two potatoes - time for a quick pass…

As the family stabbed each other with cutlery around the Christmas dinner table, noticing that his daughter was drawing the most blood, Mr. Rand stated “I'll bet Ayn's tines are sharper than anyone else's”.

• dougforte at 2013-12-16

Albert Einstein, I think.

• FatPhil at 2013-12-16

certainly - go for it!

• dougforte at 2013-12-16

Okay, these fit as a pair, so I hope it's okay to share them both (one name in each quote)

Jake and Linus met Frank at a rockin' oldies concert. Jake asked, “How long have you been jammin', Frank? Linus and I just arrived.”

Frank related what they had missed: “A short while ago, a backup singer tripped on a cord, clashed on all drums, fell down, but recovered without missing a note.”

• FatPhil at 2013-12-16

Ben Franklin
    Donald Rumsfeld

The latter was awesome - good work!

• FatPhil at 2013-12-16

Helen the Goth sat at home, depressed, wearing dismal black, and playing her gloomy cello. Bam! An absurd idea struck her - she could cheer the heck up, and play jolly music instead.

• mtbikesman at 2013-12-17

Michelle Obama? My cello Bam A

We were looking for adventure as we approached the great reef. But which to choose? The one inhabited by savages or the one inhabited by friendlies. I said to my men “Shall we head to the heathen reef or do the safe thing?”

• MarleysGhost at 2013-12-17

Henry Ford

What was the answer to this one? I guess I missed it.

I hope the cheeky scumbags hanging around the traffic lights aren’t going to squeegie my car today, and then beg for money like they do every other day.

• FatPhil at 2013-12-18

there have been no guesses yet to that one.

• MarleysGhost at 2013-12-18

gie my car to

• mtbikesman at 2013-12-18

Is Jimmy Carto related to Jimmy Carter?

Here are two more.

The aging actor auditioned for a part way too young for him. The casting director yelled at him. “You are a has-been. Half lacking in any talent whatsoever!”

Jim tried to get his girlfriend to go to the nude beach with him. She retorted “Lay nude on a sand bar? Bare ass? Try sand in your crotch all day!”

• Arty Sandler at 2013-12-18

Barbara Streisand for the 2nd?

Babs is correct for the second one.

• Arty Sandler at 2013-12-18

Ali cast down his eyes, while his bride's father talked to him angrily, “So, Ali, how are you going to feed your future family? Now, when you broke your rig? Hagar into that mess won't come, mark my words, son!”

• MarleysGhost at 2013-12-18

The aging actor: “been. Half lack” = Ben Affleck

Ali cast: “your rig? Hagar in” = Yuri Gagarin

• mtbikesman at 2013-12-20

Our marching band always had a rig set up for the drummers where they did not have to actually carry those big drums. I wanted to set up a rig for the tuba since it was also heavy. They dismissed the idea saying I was just too old for the tuba. I retorted (get ready for this one)

Why no tuba rig? Old? What are you trying to tell me?

• MisterCat ★ at 2013-12-20

Barry Goldwater.

I named my turtle “Burtle”. Are they any other people who used the same name?

(meow)

• Doctor_Strange at 2013-12-20

here is a puzzle with two hidden all-stars:

“In my newly drafted will I am splitting my alkaline battery collection amongst all of my children.”

• mtbikesman at 2013-12-21

Ted Williams - the splendid splinter

and Al Kaline

Mister Cat, I named my pet rock Frank.
    “Sit Frank sit. Good Boy. Now play dead. Good boy again.”

• MisterCat ★ at 2013-12-21

biker - thought you had to solve mine first. (roar - like a lion; hint)

Mister Cat, there was no hidden name in my last post. I was just telling you about Frank. (and no hidden name in this post)

• MisterCat ★ at 2013-12-21

but there WAS in mine! (don't be a tin man)

Bert Lahr

• mtbikesman at 2013-12-23

After Christmas Santa and his elves were vacationing in Hawaii. But they were not used to the heat and one of the elves got heat stroke. Santa sent a telegram to Rudolph telling him to pack some snow and ice on his sleigh and rush down to Hawaii. The Telegram read (this is real bad)

Hurry with elf ice. Pray sleigh gets here in time.

• Marius Halsor at 2013-12-23

Elvis Presley?

• mtbikesman at 2013-12-23

The King of Rock & Roll is correct. Your turn.

Hill, Adams and Drevin were arguing about where they should go to celebrate Christmas. They decided to play a game, and let the winner decide. Adams wanted to go to church, Drevin wanted to go to the town square, and Hill wanted to stay at home. “Adams wins! To church” Hill exclaimed. Drevin suspected foul play, but still tagged along.

• Taral at 2013-12-23

Winsto[n] Churchill

Correct. I didn't manage to fit in the “n”. Your turn.

• Taral at 2013-12-23

In last week’s rodent race his oak rat easily beat my willow rat.

• mtbikesman at 2013-12-24

s oak rate eas = Socrates

• Taral at 2013-12-24

Correct!

The Lone Ranger and Tonto are on the trail of the outlaws. They are breaking camp and eating a hearty breakfast so they can ride hard all day. Silver and Scout (their horses for those who never watched TV back in the 50's) are also ready to ride. The Lone Ranger says to Tonto (please forgive me on this one)

“Tonto, eat your fill. Silver's and Scout's saddles are already on them and they are raring to go.”

• FatPhil at 2013-12-24

Phil Silvers

• FatPhil at 2013-12-24

“Daddy, daddy, I just shot a reindeer!”
    “No, son, it's a mule, a damn stinking mule.”

• MisterCat ★ at 2013-12-24

“Gee, dad, may I celebrate Christmas with a Scotch?” “I told you junior - NO! A beer easily is enough for you to drink - especially if it the Boston Lager!”
    (containing the solution AND the next puzzle)
    (meow)

No A beer ea(sily) - Noah Beery

(it)s a mule a dam s(tinking) - Samuel Adams

We were making knew and elbow pads for rollerblading but the edge of the elbow pad would cut into the skin or the bicep. The design engineer says this could be made more comfortable by flanging or curling the edge of the pads. His memo to manufacturing said (forgive me its Christmas)

The pads still reduce elbow risk. Curl off the edges to make it more comfortable.

• MisterCat ★ at 2013-12-24

Boris Curloff; uh, Karloff
    (m)

• mtbikesman at 2013-12-25

Boris it is. Your turn.

• mtbikesman at 2013-12-26

Graham Hill and Rick Mears were running neck and neck at the Formula One race at the Cotton Bowl. The problem was it was windy and cotton was blowing all over the track and clogging up the air filters. Lint was everywhere. The announcer called the last lap. (I have sunk to a new low this time)

“It's going to be Hill or Rick. Lint on the track could spell the difference.”

• Christian K at 2013-12-26

Hillary clinton :)

• mtbikesman at 2013-12-26

Christian, now it is your turn.

• Christian K at 2013-12-26

In the Pie.

• FatPhil at 2013-12-26

Pi, about whose exploits /Life of Pi/ was made.

• FatPhil at 2013-12-27

The sign on the new bridge said “No ruminants of any kind allowed: no cows, no goats, no elk, …“. How herding was supposed to be possible for the old lappish reindeer farmer, nobody could work out.

• mtbikesman at 2013-12-28

Here is one from my sister and one more from me.

When asked my choice of venues for my birthday, I decided to go where I enjoyed myself as a child. Forget Niagara Falls and Disneyland. Just take me to the fair year round.

When I was younger I told Dad I could not mow the lawn. “Why?” he asked. There are dangerous killer bugs in the lawn. He looked and I was busted. “Ants, son. They are just ants.”

no elk, …”. How herding = Noel Howard

or Noel Coward

• MarleysGhost at 2013-12-29

When asked my: ted. “Ants, son

• Christian K at 2014-01-01

Fatphil, pi is incorrect.

• mtbikesman at 2014-01-01

When Jeb Clampett (Beverly Hillbillies) went to fetch honey from the beehive the bees went crazy and stung him all over so he went to bed to recover. Jethro came in and said “Why is Jeb ill?” “Cause bees stung him all over” answered Granny.

• FatPhil at 2014-01-02

(Je)b ill 'cause bee(s)

And I have no other guesses to replace “Pi”. We still apparently have 2 open games, so I won't start a third - mtbikesman's sister's, and the not-Pi one.

• mtbikesman at 2014-01-02

My sisters hidden name is pretty lame. And I can't get the Pi name either.

Go ahead and start a third name.

• dougforte at 2014-01-02

For birthday venues, I like boats enough that I'd probably go to the ferry instead.

Doug, same as my sister's Tooth Fairy :)

Any hints on the PI name puzzle?

• dougforte at 2014-01-02

None from me at least, I'm still clueless on that one. Perhaps Christian can clarify?

In the 1980's we went to a rock concert and were collecting t-shirts or jerseys from all the rock bands. However the hardest ones to get were from The Black Crows. I asked my friend how he was doing in his collection. He told me (it only goes downhill from here)

I got one from Kiss, U2 and Abba. Crow jersey's are next to impossible to find.

• mtbikesman at 2014-01-03

One more from my sister:
    I escaped from my captors and slid on my belly until I reached the bulrush. Limb and life were at stake not only for me but for the people whose whereabouts I kept secret.

• dougforte at 2014-01-03

I think the solution there is Rush Limbaugh. Here's one, I tried to fit a couple more names in the following, but couldn't manage to do so.

Despite torrential rain, young Jim was excited to watch France's cricket team in an exhibition match, but his father said, “You think they'll play in this weather, James? What? Son, that game will be canceled for sure.”

• mtbikesman at 2014-01-03

James Watt and James Watson Did I miss anything else?

• dougforte at 2014-01-03

James Watson is one of them. (James Watt is a good one, too). I see that I forgot to get the other one in a quotation, so it is in front.

• Christian K at 2014-01-04

Sorry for not responding sooner. A hint for “In the Pie” is that it is an anagram :)

• mtbikesman at 2014-01-04

pete hiin - Chinese ping pong player

• Christian K at 2014-01-05

no :p

• erratic at 2014-01-05

Piet Hein

• mtbikesman at 2014-01-05

If you don't live in Denmark that is a tough one.

Piet Hein (16 December 1905 – 17 April 1996) was a Danish scientist, mathematician, inventor, designer, author, and poet, often writing under the Old Norse pseudonym “Kumbel” meaning “tombstone”.

Indeed. Since he invented hex, I thought a lot of people would be able to get it tbh :)

I thought John Nash invented Hex.

Well he did but piet hein invented it first :)

Well, I invented this game and wikipedia has yet to give me any recognition.

I am not sure what you are saying, but piet hein is credited on the wiki site (as well as nash).

• FatPhil at 2014-01-05

France’s crick to go with Watson.

Imagine my surprise - I really didn't expect to hear any banjos at Rihanna's concert! I must buy a copy of the live album when it comes out on dusty vinyl.

I must have led a sheltered life. I never heard of these guys. I'll have to ask my girlfriend. She is a microbiology professor.

Francis Harry Compton Crick, (8 June 1916 - 28 July 2004) was an English molecular biologist, biophysicist, and neuroscientist, most noted for being a co-discoverer of the structure of the DNA molecule in 1953 with James Watson.

• FatPhil at 2014-01-05

I likes this dramatisation of the Crick and Watson story:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xitlyu_life-story-the-race-for-the-double-helix-1-2_shortfilms

OK, who is going to put up a new sentence with a hidden name I might have heard of in my life?

Oops, Joe Satriani the guitarist

• dougforte at 2014-01-06

That's a name I wouldn't have gotten. Crick and Watson were correct for the previous one.

• FatPhil at 2014-01-06

mtbikesman - Satch isn't on his own… ;-)

• mtbikesman at 2014-01-06

Fatphil, are there two names in your sentence? One more than Joe Satriani?

• Arty Sandler at 2014-01-06

Rihanna :) It's hidden right in front of everyone's eyes - that's why no one sees it :D

Arty, got to hand it to you. You are a genius.

• MisterCat ★ at 2014-01-06

Steve Vai; man likes his guitars, and no; I have no contribution at this time. (m)

He had a lisp. All he could do was invent the electric guitar.

• FatPhil at 2014-01-07

His wife had an even worse lisp, which he was always insulting. In fact, he would viciously offend her.

• mtbikesman at 2014-01-11

FatPhil, how about a hint?

• FatPhil at 2014-01-12

Yours plugs into mine

• mtbikesman at 2014-01-12

Leo Fender
    Very good

• MisterCat ★ at 2014-01-12

heard of Les Paul; never heard of Leo Fender.
    (m)

• mtbikesman at 2014-01-13

Leo Fender was the founder of Fender Guitars Not as big a name but still a name in guitars.

• mtbikesman at 2014-01-13

The wealthy buyer came into the art shop looking for a painting for his vast collection. After passing on all the great masters he selected a picture of dogs playing poker painted on felt - a pretty cheap painting. The salesman did not want to sell such crap to the buyer but the shop owner insisted that the customer is always right. This is what he told the salesman (forgive me for this one)

It is what he adores. Sell felt painting to him.

• klaashaas at 2014-01-20

A hint?

• FatPhil at 2014-01-20

theodore selfelt, 26th president of the unarted states.

• FatPhil at 2014-01-20

“What the blazes are you doing?” shouted the manager to the new barrista at Starbucks. “You don't put ground pine kernels on monday lattes; it's sprinkles on mondays, cocoa on tuesdays, and pine kernels on wednesdays!”

• mtbikesman at 2014-01-22

Phil, how about a hint?

• mtbikesman at 2014-01-22

Is there anyone named Pinker Nelson?

• MarleysGhost at 2014-01-23

nels on monday la

• mtbikesman at 2014-01-23

Marley, very good indeed.

• mtbikesman at 2014-02-02

The princess was going to marry in the old church the the chapel and alter were in disrepair. They built a new one and were going to lower it into the old church through the ceiling by a winch. But the old church winch was starting to buckle under the load. The foreman called out the his workers.

“Get a new alter winch. Hell if I know where to find one.”

• MarleysGhost at 2014-02-02

> the the

?

w alter winch hel

• mtbikesman at 2014-02-03

Marley, you must be as old as I am to remember him.

Your turn.

p.s. Sorry about the typos.

• MarleysGhost at 2014-02-04

He was the narrator on The Untouchables

• FatPhil at 2014-02-04

Famous Icelandic politician and serial killer: Tor Onþjun

• FatPhil at 2014-02-04

That was supposed to be a thorn character, obviously.

• mtbikesman at 2014-02-04

FatPhil, is there a name hidden in there? Or was that a comment?

• FatPhil at 2014-02-05

My solution was purely tongue in cheek, and therefore not correct, and therefore it's not me posing a new puzzle…

• mtbikesman at 2014-02-05

FatPhil, then go ahead and pose a new puzzle.

• FatPhil at 2014-02-06

When I asked “which widget do we need? Is it the grippy ovoid, the slipless cylinder, or the resistive ball?“, “more people use the latter, let's go with that”, came the quick reply.

• MarleysGhost at 2014-02-06

stive ball?“, “more

• FatPhil at 2014-02-06

Indeed, all yours…

• mtbikesman at 2014-02-08

I was locked out of my classroom and I needed a new key made right away. My key-man (locksmith) was on vacation. My fellow teacher said “Feel free use my key-man till yours returns.

• dougforte at 2014-02-10

I'm not sure, but, Mickey Mantle? That's a person, right?

• FatPhil at 2014-02-10

More or less of a person than Tor Onthjun, that's the question

• mtbikesman at 2014-02-11

Mickey Mantle is one of the greatest New York Yankees of all time. Almost as big as Babe Ruth.

FatPhil, is there a name hidden in your last text?

• FatPhil at 2014-02-11

Nope.

• dougforte at 2014-02-11

I was thinking Mantle might have been a sports star, but my baseball knowledge is quite limited. So, I recently inquired about a place to live in a nice community. The property manager responded, “I'll let you know if an opportunity for a condo lease arises, but in the meantime you can rent an apartment.”

• mtbikesman at 2014-02-11

Condoleezza Rice Did she play for the Yankees as well?

• dougforte at 2014-02-11

Correct. I don't think she did, I'll have to work on one of those for next time.

• dougforte at 2014-02-17

My friend recently went to a pet store to buy food for his dog. The cashier told him, “Sorry, but our supply of Purina brand is depleted. Will Iams work for you instead?”

• MarleysGhost at 2014-02-17

ted. Will Iams

• dougforte at 2014-02-17

Yes, that's it. Google informs me that Williams played for Boston, but he was a baseball star.

• mtbikesman at 2014-02-18

My friend would never pick up his phone. When I saw him I said (this one hits a new low)

You ignored my call? Of all the nerve! (Hint: A singer)

• mtbikesman at 2014-04-11

The killer alien orb came from who knows where but was quickly nicknamed the Beast for all the death and destruction is was causing. The president called his generals and admirals.

Can you stop the Beast orb? On even days it kills but on odd days it rests.

• mtbikesman at 2014-06-03

Here is a hint

Can you stop the Beast orb? On even days it kills but on odd days it rests.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic