Central europe couch surf? General forum

17 replies. Last post: 2014-03-21

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Central europe couch surf?
  • FatPhil at 2014-03-17

My g/f's heading off to the far east for 3 weeks, and I'll go mental if it's just me and RoRoRo in the flat, so I was thinking of just hopping down into central/eastern europe, and seeing where I end up. I'll definitely head down through Latvia and Lithuania, so I guess the first question is how much time I spend in Poland, and whether I head south to the Czech Republic and Slovakia for beer, or head west to Germany for beer. All I know is that I'll be heading wherever I head for new beers.

It would be fun to put faces to names, and maybe have some games of something (over a beer, perhaps ;-) ). Either recommendations for backpacker hostels, or couch surfing possibilities most welcome.

• mtbikesman at 2014-03-17

come on over to southern California and I will take you mountain biking.

• Paul Wiselius at 2014-03-17

If it's new beers you are looking for, then Belgium is the place to be! They have a wide variety, and their trappist beers are famous! ;-)

• FatPhil at 2014-03-17

I'm fairly impressed with the 886 Belgian beers that I've had already, certainly. And have been to various places in Belgium several times (Bruges being absolutely idyllic).

Having had only 133 Czech beers, and a shameful 11 Slovak beers, and never having visited either country before, and needing to visit Riga and Vilnius soon, the lager belt is more conventient.

Having said that, if I saw a dirt cheap return flight to Brussels or Amsterdam - I'd be there in an instant!

• David Milne at 2014-03-18

Which ever beers you had, they must have been pretty good. Especially, if they allow you to surf Europe on a couch. Most of us would need to buy a bus ticket and go by coach, ha ha. :-)

• FatPhil at 2014-03-18

Plans are forming - I'm going west to Germany!

Sofas won't be the softest thing on my trip - hopefully I can get to Bamberg, and then I'll get so excited by the beer that I end up in a padded cell!

• Christian K at 2014-03-18

I would love to play games with you if you happen to pass through Denmark :)

• christian freeling at 2014-03-18

I live in Enschede, the Netherlands, and you're welcome to stay here and play a couple of games with generic material (which is all I have :). I'm not an expert on beer though, but I can get you a crate of “Hertog Jan”:http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hertog_Jan_Brouwerij of which I have happy (though very distant) recollections.

• naive_child_c at 2014-03-19

If you're looking for something special in Germany, one of my friends is brewmaster and he often had to travel to Kulmbach
    in his professional training. This town is very famous for its brewers and beers. The local brewery brews one of the strongest beers worldwide and there's also a brewing museum. Perhaps that might be the right place for you?

• YHW at 2014-03-19

Ooops, wrong login…

• Chaosu ★ at 2014-03-20

Warsaw reporting in, but i don't drink alcohol

• Chaosu ★ at 2014-03-20

btw i think RoRoRo stopped predicting this group: http://littlegolem.net/jsp/forum/topic2.jsp?forum=130&topic=72

• kingofthebesI at 2014-03-20

RoRoRo stops predictingwhen the winner is known iirc

• FatPhil at 2014-03-21

YHW - Kulmbach indeed sounds interesting. You can tell your brewmeister friend that I have a well-over 20 year old bottle of EKU 28! (unopened) I'm unsure of its exact age, I just remember the BB date is some time in the mid 90s!

I drank too much beer in Finland and am a couple of days behind schedule…

• YHW at 2014-03-21

You sound like a colleague who has collected more than 2000 different (empty) beer cans from around the world…at least he had until he married.

• FatPhil at 2014-03-21

[Insert every swear word known to man here]

Total disaster - I get home, and I find one of my servers has died. Dunno if it's mobo or HD, as I get different errors every boot. So I'm going to need to buy a replacement and get that up and running over the weekend.

So that's the schedule ruined, and the budget too probably :-(

• William Fraser at 2014-03-21

Ach. Bad news. [Inventing a few new swear words for the occasion] I hate it when that happens.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic