Withdraw from tournament? General forum

8 replies. Last post: 2014-04-23

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Withdraw from tournament?
  • labradors at 2014-04-20

The WYPS 18 tournament started way too soon for me. In fact, with the way things have been for me this past year, the new tournaments would automatically start right at the very-least-convenient times when I would be travelling w/o Internet access, etc.

Opponents whom I've encountered regularly in these tournaments probably will have noticed that I have not really been playing as well as usual due to my having to be away from the games for long stretches and having to rush to avoid forfeiture.

Right now, it's even worse, since I am in the process of moving and have a LOT to do, so I just can't dedicate the time for games.

I finally remembered where I could remove myself from the tournament list, so I won't get entered into WYPS 19, but I still need to resolve what to do about these blasted WYPS 18 games that started without my being anywhere near ready to participate.

Is there any way to withdraw from the tournament without just resigning all of the games (which would artificially reduce my rating) and without losing all of my vacation days (which would forfeit all of those games and lead to the same result as resigning them all)?

Otherwise, I just won't be able to play very often until about the middle of June.

Thanks.

• Martyn Hamer at 2014-04-20

If you haven't yet made any moves, you can resign without your rating dropping. Otherwise you'll either have to resign and take the hit or else just play the games as best you can.

• labradors at 2014-04-20

Ah! Thanks! I had forgotten that. Since I haven't moved in any of the games in this tournament, that will work out fine.

Thanks again!

• dushoff at 2014-04-21

I was somehow entered into WYPS championship; I suspect a server error, but I guess it's possibly a mouse click on my part.

I resigned all of my games without moving, except that in one game, my opponent beat me to it. For some reason, this rule is not symmetric: my rating has now gone up. Without ever playing a single move in WYPS I have a rating of 1516. Yay, me!

It seems like it would be better design to have symmetry: if a game where there is not at least one move by each player is not a game, it should not affect anybody's rating.

• richyfourtytwo at 2014-04-21

I somehow entered the LOA championship. Might be yet another mouse click (by myself) that wasn't intended or might be a bug?

• mungo at 2014-04-21

@dushoff: I think one of your WYPS games was a timeout, not a resign. That is why you gained rating points. Resigning without playing any moves doesn't affect anyones rating.

• dushoff at 2014-04-22

Thanks, mungo. Makes much more sense.

• bill at 2014-04-23

Is this room slower to anyone else ?

Return to forum

Reply to this topic