33 replies. Last post: 2014-09-10

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Catchup, Morelli
  • Richard Malaschitz ★ at 2014-08-25

Two new games were added !

• Tommah at 2014-08-25

Nice!  Thanks, Richard!

• Tommah at 2014-08-25

The Morelli pieces aren't showing up for me in Firefox.  They do show up in Chrome.

• Richard Malaschitz ★ at 2014-08-25

Is there still this problem ? I chnage a little bit svg file. Safari and Chrome is OK.

• Carroll at 2014-08-25

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VhrIgEXeAjMr_AuCz9Yk2MmaYnS3BDYFNxkj0IuXhIw/edit

• Tommah at 2014-08-25

That seems to have fixed it, thanks.

• Elsabio at 2014-08-26

I am confused about the winnng condition @ morelli.  In one explaination there is a 'tower' in some there is no tower mentionend. What means 'to controll the center'? Occupy it or make sure you can capture the enemy stone when it enters the center? Is it allowed to move between to enemy stones? … and so on. Has anybody the detailed rules?

• Ban Dumb Motorways at 2014-08-26

the centre seems to called the tower, its colour changes when you get “ rotationally-symmetrical arrangement of four stones around it at any distance”

late examples      slightly ealier         X              (knights rotation)  X      X  X                                                     XXXX      X                                                X  X     X   X                                      X                                                                           X

• Elsabio at 2014-08-26

with this definition of 'controll'

xoxocoxoxboth players  fullfill the condition of 'controll' about the center 'c'.  So who is winning?

• Elsabio at 2014-08-26

the above pattern should be the rows of a 3x3 matrix

• Tommah at 2014-08-26

I've just created Catchup and Morelli tournaments.  “Catchup tournament”:http://www.littlegolem.net/ng/a/Ctrn.action?view=&dto.id=918  “Morelli tournament”:http://www.littlegolem.net/ng/a/Ctrn.action?view=&dto.id=919  They start in a week.

• Carroll at 2014-08-26

Thanks Richard for these new games, they seem very interesting !

Will they get their own forum so we can discuss some strategy ?

Also is there a reason this post does not appear in the “home window / last posts” ?

• Dryad at 2014-08-26

Thanks for adding the games.

In 20 years time when I introduce my yet unborn child to LG I'm going to tell in a proud manner that I've once been number 1 in both Morelli and Catchup. :)

Forums would be great. Especially the strategy behind Morelli is yet quite unclear to me; it seems to be a lot about positioning (e.g. having stones in each quadrant).

Also, I had the honor to play Morellis creator Richard Moxham on boardspace and in contrast to the version used here, where your stones are placed randomly at the beginning, ones stones were all placed along 2 adjacent edges at the start. Starting w/o stones in one of the halfes required you to move a lot onto the other side which isn't necessarily the case here as you have stones on every side since the beginning. I could imagine that to make quite a difference and we might think about which version is more interesting to use.

• David Milne at 2014-08-26

Thanks Richard for Catchup. The iOS version of Catchup is interesting, and now one can play Catchup on LG! I am looking forward to see what direction Catchup takes after receiving the directed attention of the player base at LG.

• William Fraser at 2014-08-27

@Elsabio, I believe that the rule is that when you create the rotationally symmetric position, you capture the tower, even if your opponent also has one.  Then they'd need to create a new one in order to take it back from you….

• Richard Moxham at 2014-08-28

Hi.  In response to the questions above regarding Morelli …

The Rules document on BoardGameGeek (the link given on this site) is up to date and accurate.  Only the one version there now, as I've deleted everything else to avoid all risk of confusion.  I think the sections on capture of pieces, occupation of the Centre, and win conditions are clear and unambiguous, but they do need a fairly careful read.  As for the towers, you'll see they're shown as Chess rooks in my rule diagrams, but both lg and BoardSpace use an ordinary piece with an 'M' monogrammed on it.  Same thing.

Otherwise, I'd just like to say how delighted I am to see Morelli implemented here on lg, and to express my gratitude to (the other) Richard M.  (As Jackson Browne once commented when introducing his song Doctor, My Eyes, which The Jackson Five had previously covered: “Hey, we're both Jackson!“).  I look forward eagerly to seeing the game subjected to scrutiny of the most rigorous kind, and to learning stuff about strategy and tactics which I could never have worked out for myself.

• Ban Dumb Motorways at 2014-08-30

Morelli size 9 last two squares of last column different colour

• Tommah at 2014-08-30

Richard, could you make the Catchup colors say Blue and Orange instead of Black and White?

• milesd at 2014-09-01

thanks a lot Richard.

• Ban Dumb Motorways at 2014-09-01

It's either catchup or a copy ( all inventors prefer you follow their design )so discs should be black & whiteon a orange/red playing area with white grid/backgroundand largest groups shown using the purple/red ovals ( oval 0 been green )

colours from http://nickbentleygames.wordpress.com/2012/04/29/my-best-game-i-suspect-ketchup/

• Carroll at 2014-09-02

Fist Morelli draw here?

http://littlegolem.net/jsp/game/game.jsp?gid=1655019

• wanderer_bot at 2014-09-02

Carroll, clicking your link logs me out of my LG account! Can you explain that?

• Carroll at 2014-09-02

I guess your session cookies only refer to www.littlegolem.net… where here the www part has disappeared.

• Richard Moxham at 2014-09-02

Jeff, not the first draw, no. On BoardSpace, where a thousand or so games of Morelli have been played, there are a handful of draws recorded - mostly on 9x9, as you might expect, but still well under 5% for that format. On 11x11, if I remember correctly, there has been just one, and none so far that I'm aware of on the full 13x13.

• Rex Moore at 2014-09-02

It logged me out as well!

• Tommah at 2014-09-03

Richard, can you change the words “Black” and “White” that appear above the Catchup board too?

• Nagy Fathy at 2014-09-07

Sorry for being so slow in understanding Morelli rules, but can someone explain to me, why I did lose this game: [game;id:1654771]

I thought I have a full rotationally-symmetrical arrangement around the center??

• ypercube at 2014-09-07

You gained symmetry at move 13 (check the Black M appearing at that move)

Your opponent gained symmetry at move 26 (check the White M) with stones B3-C8-H7-G.

No more symmetries were done after that. So, White wins (since the M in the center is white in the end)

• ypercube at 2014-09-07

B3-C8-H7-G2 I meant to write.

• Nagy Fathy at 2014-09-07

Thank you!

• z at 2014-09-09

Why is there a forum for Morelli but none for Catchup?

• alihv at 2014-09-10

Thank you, this is really cool. I've heard good things about Catchup.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic