catchup rules General forum

6 replies. Last post: 2014-08-31

Reply to this topic Return to forum

catchup rules
  • Mirko Rahn at 2014-08-27

I thought the player without the largest group can put 3 stones, but in

http://www.littlegolem.net/jsp/game/game.jsp?gid=1654905

i am only allowed to put 2. Why is this?

• Dryad at 2014-08-27

You get an additional stone if the largest group after your opponents turn is bigger than the largest group before your opponents turn

• ypercube at 2014-08-30

In game 1643737, after Blue move 7,  Blue largest group is 5, while Orange is 4.

But I (orange) cannot place 3 stones.

Is this a bug?

• Mirko Rahn at 2014-08-30

Move 6 changed the size of the largest _white_ group from 1 to 4. The size of the largest group _regardless of the color_ remained at 5.  So is okay to have two stones only in move 7. Move 7 itself did not change the size of the largest group either. So is okay to have two stones only in move 8. Seems fine to me.

• ypercube at 2014-08-30

Thnx Mirko. I was reading an apparently old version of the rules. It woul dbe good if the link from Golem Rules, linked to the latest version of the rules that is used and not to to boardgamesgeek.

• Harry Grafton at 2014-08-31

extracted from http://nickbentleygames.wordpress.com/2012/04/29/my-best-game-i-suspect-ketchup/

1. One player owns the white stones and the other owns the black stones. White begins by dropping 1 stone.

2. From then on, starting with Black, each player must drop 1 or 2 stones on her turn.

3. If the largest group at the end of your turn is larger than the largest group at the beginning of your turn (regardless of color), your opponent may drop up to 3 stones on her next turn. (This does not apply after white drops a single stone in step 1 above.)

4. The game ends when the board is full. The player with the largest group wins. If the players’ largest groups are the same size, compare their second-largest groups, and so on, until you come to a pair which aren’t the same size. Whoever owns the larger of the two wins.

rule 3 could be more concise  “if you make a new largest group, the next player can drop an extra 3rd stone”

Return to forum

Reply to this topic