my game site General forum

48 replies. Last post: 2016-12-06

Reply to this topic Return to forum

my game site
  • Tommah at 2016-02-28

LG's recent downtime has convinced me that the time is right to show you all a project of mine.  For the past two years, I have been working on my own game site at http://new.amecy.com/ .  The site is still missing a few important features (messages, forums, a rating system), but the games work quite smoothly.  I am particularly proud of the Hex board.  If you are interested, come and sign up.  My username on there is tom; I'm always up for another game!  So far, my site supports chess, Connect6, Hex, and Amazons.  I'm open to suggestions for new games, too.

• christian freeling at 2016-02-28

Since we're playing it, I don't have to introduce you to Havannah, but if you were to implement Dameo, you'de certainly see mee on a daily basis.

• Hunter C at 2016-03-30

Veletas and Cannon!

• alihv at 2016-03-31

Interesting. I was planning to do the same thing since I've learned that Toguz Kumalak has no site for turn-based play.

I'd like to have an open architecture that would separate club servers from game servers and would allow the players to cross-participate.

• Rbpompeu at 2016-03-31

As Takvorian has made up my mind, I vote for Toguz Kumalak!!!

• Steven at 2016-05-12

How about Twixt?

• Hunter C at 2016-05-12

Twixt is a fine game. What are your thoughts on my earlier two suggestions?

• HappyHippo at 2016-05-13

Signed up, looking forward to some 14x14 hex.

I see that you can see games in progress, can you view completed games?

• Tommah at 2016-05-13

Thanks to everybody who signed up!  I still have to look at the games that have been suggested.

HappyHippo, I don't yet have a page listing all the completed games.  You can see a bunch of Hex games from the tournament page.  You can also change the game number in a URL to view different games.

• David J Bush ★ at 2016-05-15

I second the recommendation for Twixt. Hopefully this would be standard Twixt with link removal, not Twixt PP. My email is twixtfanatic atsymbol gmail dot com if you want further lectures on this topic.

• Hunter C at 2016-05-16

Tommah

As far as my two suggestion go, both creators have expressed interest in having their games playable on other sites.

• Tommah at 2016-05-25

I am still deciding between the games… but last week I added Phutball to my site, because I already had the code for it.  Check it out if you're interested.

• _syLph_ at 2016-05-25

definitely interested in phutball :)!

• Hunter C at 2016-05-26

Tom you're password reset doesn't work for me. I tried logging in but forgot my password, which is odd because I usually just use one password. I recieved the email to reset it. Got a new password. Typed it in according to the capitalization I also tried it without the capitalization. I also tried 3 seperate passwords. But it didn't work.

• Tommah at 2016-05-27

@Clark94: I sent you a private message.

If anyone else is having the same problem, please let me know!

• wccanard at 2016-05-28

Maybe Tommah can now, given the information he has, log into Clark94's LG account (and also perhaps their facebook etc).

• wccanard at 2016-05-28

On a more serious note, it's really hard to get these things off the ground. The guy at vying games was motivated to start vying.org for similar reasons to Tommah, and he wrote some really nice code for that website, but I see that it's now offline.

• Tommah at 2016-05-28

My hosting costs are low enough that I think I can keep the site up indefinitely.  I may also sell memberships one day, but I have to think about what features I would make available to members.

BTW, the passwords are salted and hashed, so even when I look in the database I can't tell what they are.

• wccanard at 2016-05-28

Hosting: I guess you have to get the balance right. Ads? Membership? etc etc. I definitely don't have the answers, all I can do is wish you luck. I see jijbent.nl still seems to be going strong (I used to play dots and boxes there) so they're doing something right as well (and they were always much more stable than this site). As for salted hashed passwords, it's one thing saying that but it might be hard to prove (even if you release the code base people could claim that you're not running that code base). Of course I believe you, but clark94 is doing more than that, they're relying on you :-)

• David J Bush ★ at 2016-05-29

Speaking generally, if you use the same password for different accounts you place yourself at unnecessary risk.

http://games.wtanaka.com/ is still around. At least, the website still seems to function. Real time I think.

I recently discovered http://www.wargear.net/ which has lots of “Risk-like” games and an amazing implementation of Hex, although the pie rule isn't quite right just yet. Amazing because the gaming engine was never intended for abstracts like that. Mostly turn based but some real time.

http://twixtlive.com has a small but active following for my favorite game and nothing else, despite the lack of a pie rule and some other issues. Turn based and possibly real time as well.

http://www.itsyourturn.com is active and has quite a few abstracts but I don't like their time limits. Turn based.

http://www.gamerz.net/pbmserv/gamerz.php has a truckload of abstracts, many of which you will find a server for nowhere else. I should mention that the standard rules for Twixt are set up there. Turn based.

The same can be said for http://www.iggamecenter.com/ lots of amazing games including standard Twixt. Real time.

• Hunter C at 2016-05-29

Don't worry, my facebook , email , bank account and credit card info are all different from eachother. Gaming websites are generally the same password to make it easy to remember . If someone wants to “hack” into my account and make me loose… Well thats a risk that i'm willing to take.

• Tommah at 2016-08-06

I have added Twixt to my site.  If you want to play, sign up at http://new.amecy.com/ and I will start a game with you.

• Tom Ace at 2016-08-12

“http://www.itsyourturn.com is active and has quite a few abstracts but I don’t like their time limits.”

What's not to like?  ;)

• Steven at 2016-08-20

Glad you added Twixt.

• Sighris at 2016-08-26

Re: passwords - Clark94, Yes, there is probably very little risk that somebody will hack your game accounts to cause you to lose games, but OTOH it is pretty easy for everybody to (at minimum) have a system to make their passwords (at least) slightly different from each other but still easy to remember.  And since most websites have a system to reset your password, if you do forget it, not such a big deal…. but of course that means it is VERY IMPORTANT to make sure HACKERs can not use that reset system to reset your password(s).  Since you wrote: “Don’t worry, my facebook , email , bank account and credit card info are all different from each other” I'm guessing you're fine, but it is never a bad time to remind people to be careful. :)

I came here (LG) just for Toroidal-Go, which I am fully enjoying; however it is only offered here in one size: 11x11.

I would like a chance to move up to 13x13 Toroidal Go.  I even started a programming project partly for fun & learning, but partially with the idea that I could start a game server too if nobody else offered up 13x13 T-Go.

Is anybody else interested in 13x13 Toroidal-Go?

• Tommah at 2016-08-26

I've decided to add Toguz Kumalak to my site next.  I finally got around to playing my first game of it (I lost 90-72).

• Tom Ace at 2016-08-26

HTTPS support would be a nice addition.  It's good practice for any site that uses passwords.

• Kerry Handscomb at 2016-08-26

Toguz Kumalak would be great.

• Tommah at 2016-08-28

OK, I have added Toguz Kumalak to my site!  I will do a little more testing and then I will tell some of the TK organizations about it.

• Tommah at 2016-09-02

Tom Ace, I added HTTPS today.  Thanks for reminding me.

• hyperpape at 2016-09-08

It seems to be down when I follow the first link.

• Tommah at 2016-09-08

hyperpape, the site is up, but some of the page loads are very slow today.  Please try it again.

• hyperpape at 2016-09-08

To be more precise, I've seen 500 errors all three times that I've tried to load the page–both earlier, and twice just now.

• Tommah at 2016-09-08

Oh my, I just realized what the problem is.  Try it now and it really should work.

• hyperpape at 2016-09-13

I just now checked, and it's working.

• unique at 2016-10-27

Not working currently

• Tommah at 2016-10-27

My site is back up.  If anyone timed out because of the outage, let me know and I will restore those games.

• HappyHippo at 2016-11-16

Password reset didn't work for me either

• Tommah at 2016-11-16

Sorry about that.  I'll see if I can fix it.

• Tommah at 2016-11-16

I think it's fixed now.  It was a problem with the web host.

• HappyHippo at 2016-11-17

Thanks

• Tommah at 2016-11-24

I am moving my site to a different hosting service tomorrow, so hopefully you will see fewer posts like these in the future!

• Hunter C at 2016-11-25

Has anyone mentioned Cannon yet? (Obvious sarcasm because I did earlier)

• Tommah at 2016-11-25

The move was successful!  If you are having trouble accessing the site now, your DNS server is probably using the old value; try using the new server's IP address 104.196.198.139.

• Sighris at 2016-11-29

Has anybody mentioned 13x13 Toroidal-Go yet?  (Obvious sarcasm because I did earlier) ;-)

• Tommah at 2016-12-01

Thanks for all the game suggestions.  :)  I won't be adding new games soon, since I am busy with a new job, but I will put these games on my list for future consideration.

• Luis BolaNos at 2016-12-03

Has anybody mentioned Veletas yet? ;)

• Hunter C at 2016-12-06

Spartan chess!

You have to look into this variation . Two different but balanced armies compete against eachother. One is the standard FIDE army while the other is the new Spartan chess army . The Spartan army has 2 kings , a B+K piece and hoplites (Pawns that move diagonally and capture forward. They have a few other pieces too.

Despite these huge differences 1000s of play tests show a balanced game with fewer draws than FIDE chess. Check it out at spartanchessonline.Com

Return to forum

Reply to this topic