Unrated games have disappeared?! General forum

10 replies. Last post: 2016-09-05

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Unrated games have disappeared?!
  • lazyplayer ★ at 2016-08-30

Is it still possible to play unrated games?

What happens to already finished games that were unrated? Are they still unrated?

For example: https://littlegolem.net/jsp/game/game.jsp?gid=1597836A

Maybe “Tournement: null” is used to mark unrated games?

• Tommah at 2016-08-30

I think that if you invite a particular player to play a game, that game will be unrated.

Tommah, but the games in waiting room are rated instead? The website claims them to be rated. Moreover, assuming this is right, then how is it possible to tell which case it is by looking at the game history?

Tommah, and i've read about your website. may i give an advice?

My advice is: please develop/promote a rating-based pairing system instead of tournaments.

• Tommah at 2016-08-30

AFAIK the waiting room games on LG are all rated.  There used to be a rated waiting room and an unrated waiting room, but when Richard redesigned the site he took out the unrated one.

Thanks for looking at my site!  I'm hoping to add a rating system soon.  I want it to be like the system on KGS, where the ratings are recalculated regularly; I'm still planning it out.

• lazyplayer ★ at 2016-08-31

Well, Richard should write the FAQ section i think. It should be easy for him and much appreciated by us. I've also emailed him regarding infinity systems. He tells me it's a kind of swiss-system tournament, and that he considers it the best here for matching players of similar strength. I've trusted him and subscribed to that, I'll see how it works…

Ad yes, recalculating ratings is very useful feature i think. You'll have to tune the rating system because no rating system is perfect. What i have said earlier is that rating is a quick and cheap way to find opponents of similar strength. I wouldn't say it is really trustworthy for raking players…

replace raking with ranking :)

• lazyplayer ★ at 2016-09-05

Richard confirmed to me games by invitation are unrated.

• Ed Collins at 2016-09-05

Lazy, note that my unofficial FAQ is still up:  I last updated it a couple of months ago:

http://www.edcollins.com/golem

Return to forum

Reply to this topic