blocking General forum

17 replies. Last post: 2018-02-21

Reply to this topic Return to forum

blocking
  • JoesPizza at 2018-02-16

If I block someone who is sandbagging  does that mean they will never get matched with me in a tournament?

Thanks

• ypercube at 2018-02-16

No.

• JoesPizza at 2018-02-16

Thx

• Ban Dumb Motorways at 2018-02-17

I've blacklisted you, try to send me a message and a challenge

Pocket-monkey.com calls it your “ignore list” which is more world friendly

Yourturnmyturn.com goes one better and also has a friend list

• ypercube at 2018-02-17

With “No” I meant that you can still end up playing with them in a tournament. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I think blocking only affects receiving messages and playing unrated games

• JoesPizza at 2018-02-17

Ok.  Interesting test Burglar.  It let me go through the motions of sending you a message, but when I looked at my outbox the message was not there.  So that worked.

However I also sent you a game challenge and you accepted.

It would be great if the Blocking function made it impossible to play the person, even in a tournament.\

I know most of you guys don't care that much about ratings but I really hate playing a really strong player that has sandbagged their rating to a very low level.

Anyway, thanks.

• Christian0 at 2018-02-17

You always got the option of resigning on your first move - that way you won't lose any points.

• JoesPizza at 2018-02-17

Hey thanks great tip Christian!!!

• Ban Dumb Motorways at 2018-02-17

blocking works on messages, but does not inform sender

does not stop challenges, so now I'm twixting with JoesPizza

• Mirko Rahn at 2018-02-19

Fun fact: You can block yourself to hide your own messages from yourself.

• JoesPizza at 2018-02-20

Wow, what a great idea.  Thanks!!!

From now on I will be immediately resigning games vs obvious sandbaggers like wojtek.  That way I don't lose any rating points.  :-)

• Mirko Rahn at 2018-02-20

Apply this strategy to all games in order to get into a stable state. ;) Seriously: Besides the arguments given above this is not clever: Wojtek's graph shows four phases: “Not playing”, “playing normally”, “ramp up” and “ramp down”. Your strategy only makes sense in phase “ramp up” which is very short as Wojtek is so good. The probability of “getting robbed” is low, especially when compared to the insights rejected.

I'll look at his graph later and estimate his true rating.  When he is far below that I wont play him.  :-)

• CleverHunk steven cullum at 2018-02-20

re"You always got the option of resigning on your first move – that way you won’t lose any points.”

I assume,please confirm,that this works when playing with cheating programs(bots)

• JoesPizza at 2018-02-21

Try it and get back to us.  :-)

• urmaul at 2018-02-21

Cleverhunk, if you mean “When I play agains someone who secretly uses a program(bot) to make their moves, is it true that resigning on your first move won't lose any rating points?“, I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. Why would it matter that they are using a program(bot)? I hope I don't misunderstand something.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic