A question for webmaster General forum

9 replies. Last post: 2005-02-06

Reply to this topic Return to forum

A question for webmaster
  • Zoran Nesic at 2005-02-06

How hard would it be to display the time when the page was generated?

Seeing how much time it took the server to generate the page may be interesting, but I think that seeing WHEN the page was generated would be much more useful. What do others think?

Regards,

Zoran

• Luka's~ at 2005-02-06

and you'll recount it to your time zone? Who cares about 'when' it was generated?

Well, first about the time-zones, there are dozens of free routines for converting time between time-zones. You don't have to do it by hand. I asked the webmaster how hard would it be to implement such a feature.

As for the utility of that information, knowing when the page was generated would make it very easy to see if the page was pulled from cache (local or on the proxy server). Some of us live behind a corporate proxy/firewall, you know, and not all of them are properly configured.

If something is useless for you, that doesn't mean it's useless for everyone.

Being a gentleman, I can't say here what I think of people like you, but since you're not, I think you'll get the point.

Regards,

Zoran

• Nick Wedd at 2005-02-06

In a .jsp page, like this one, it should be very easy to get it to display the time of creation - easier than getting it to display the milliseconds taken for page generation.

But the time displayed will be in the time zone of Slovakia (or whatever other single timezone the programmer chooses). Readers will have to do the conversion themselves. There is, I think, no general way for the server to know the timezone of an http request. I am not sure of this, you can read some more at this Wiki page.

I was thinking about letting users to store their time-zone in a profile along with other data (name/country/whatever).

Regards,

Zoran

Yes, I guess you could store the offset in the profile.

But I think there is an easier way, for browsers that have javascript enabled. I'll try to put it in this message:

That didn't work :-)

I'll try again

That didn't work :-)

I'll try again

That didn't work either. The script that builds this page converts newlines into <br&gr; tags.

Anyway, you can see the method by doing View Source on this page, and looking at my previous message.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic