Games where the best human players still crush the best computer programs Chess forum

8 replies. Last post: 2016-08-30

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Games where the best human players still crush the best computer programs
  • z at 2016-01-10

Go is still dominated by human players, though bots have reached expert level on the 9x9 board.

Arimaa was designed to be difficult for computer analysis, yet the Sharp bot defeated human experts in the Arimaa Challenge last year.

What other games remain resilient to computer programs? Shogi? Hex 19? Twixt?

• jytou ★ at 2016-01-14

I read that for Shogi, humans are forbidden to play against computers. This is somehow admittance that computers are at least of the same level if not stronger. So I guess that for games with complex pieces, computers dominate right now. But yes, Go is still dominated by humans… for how long? :)

• ypercube at 2016-01-14

Forbidden to play against computers, where?

Am I not allowed to play against my pc? ;)

• jytou ★ at 2016-01-18

Of course, at a professional level and with the journalists running around. :P

• bennofs at 2016-01-18

There's no computer program for Twixt yet which plays much better than amateur level, the best one that I know is jTwixt. But there also hasn't been such an intensive research in Twixt-AI as for example there is for chess or go, and there also aren't programs that run on huge computers and take advantage of it.

• christian freeling at 2016-01-18

Havannah programs are good, but the best humans (not necessarily including yours truly) are still better.

There has been quite some AI action around Symple in the 2013 CodeCup Challenge. I do have the winning program and I usually win. And I'm by no means an expert player, so there seems to be some leeway there. You can find Symple at mindsports.

I feel that eventually every abstract strategy game that allows humans to excel in it, will have to face the emergence of programs that excel even more in it. That would include Go. This may help players to better understand their game, but it may also separate the fields in actual play. If it's no use anymore to play against a program because it is superior, then it's no fun anymore either.

• Takvorian at 2016-03-16

So after the 1-4 defeat of Lee Sedol vs AlphaGo, Go should be erased from this list…

• lazyplayer ★ at 2016-08-30

Hex, but naturally with sufficient human effort it is always possible to write an AI for every game, including Hex.

And by the way, what is LG stance on “cheating”?

Return to forum

Reply to this topic