Championship Leagues StreetSoccer

32 replies. Last post: 2004-09-27

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Championship Leagues
  • Agamemnon at 2004-09-22

How are people assigned to the Championship? I've got a ranking of 1830 and I'm in league #2! It's insane that people with a 1500 ranking are able to compete for the “championship” and people like Tony Wu and myself are not!

• Mister_Marty at 2004-09-22

I have won soccer.ch.2.4.2 and soccer.ch.3.3.1 back to back and are now promoted from League 3 to League 1 with a rating of 1787. JIPPIE!!!

• ypercube at 2004-09-22

Haven't you read the rules of the championhip, Goober? The last 8 in every champ. tournament go down 1 level in the next championship. You played at he 1st league of the 3rd chamionhip and came 14th with 47 points (like me). So we go down and play at the 2nd league this time. If we play well and finsish at the first 4 position we'll be back at the Premier League next time. :)

If Liverpool finishes last this year (forgive me god, i have sinned), should they use your argument and claim it's insane to go down a league?

I just read them & what happened makes sense. I don't agree with it…but it makes sense. In this country (USA), we don't have “relegation” in our sport leagues. I assumed that the “championship” would be a competition amongst the hightest ranked players.

• Jupp at 2004-09-22

goober - this is a big cultural gap. For me this (the US-system) means, that good working teams with less money don't have the opportunity to qualify for the first league. So it's pure capitalistic ideology. How does an US-American feel about that. (Sorry, never had the opportunity to ask this question off-topic Your point here)

Regards

• passenger at 2004-09-22

So then it would be easy to play in first league, Just tell and I will be player with 1900 rating or higher… You don'e believe me? Just look If I register in many tournaments I will have many games, let's say I will win 40% of them and I will wait with finishing of others 20 days. It's very easy to have high rating in one moment (e.g. moment of championship beggining) , so There wouldn't be strongest players in first league but smooth operators;) It is possible even now but U can play only one time in first time according to high rating. And why U think that U deserve to play in first league more than other people? Only because of ur rating? U had ur chance in first league now give it to other players. PS, Sorry for my english, I hope You can understand what I mean:)

• tonywu at 2004-09-22

basically, the championship is working as following

- each league get 19 teams

- top 4 players get promote

- bottom 8 players get drop

exception

- player who in top 10, never play in level 1, and in level 3 or lower will be included into level 1.

- so league 1 may get more than 19 players, and all players below rank 11 will get drop

new comer will join to the lowest level, unless he is in top 10 when a new championship is started.

there is also some minor rule to adjust each league to 19 players, but i am not sure those detail.

i can only finish at 5th place in last championship, so can't get promotion.

conclusion: the rating is not really always accurate, it is just a rough idea of a player's strengh. e.g. our three times champion currently only get 1731 (highest around 1890), but i don't think i am better than him.

You are right Jupp. Our major leagues are run like a business with each franchise a part of the organization. We also have “minor” leagues. These are usually financed in part by a major league franchise and are used to develop players.

I don’t see a problem with either system (relegation or set franchises).

But, I view the Golem championships along the lines of a tennis tournament where the top ranked players are invited. If for example, the #1 player in the world loses in the first round, that player is not kept out of the next tournament. He or she will still be one of the top ranked players and should be in every championship tournament.

But in tennis when top player loses he loses only one game it could be accident, in football when top team loses, it loses many games during the season (or championship here) so we must asked: Is this still top team?

Passenger,

Please don't have a heart attack over my comments! LOL! I never said I deserved anything more than someone else. All I said was that I thought it crazy that a championship did not include the highest ranking players.

Once someone explained the “relegation” aspect of the championship, everything was OK.

Like I said, I don't agree with it, but I accept it and of course will play by the established rules/format.

Your English is much better than my Polish by the way!!!!

• Krzysztof (Chris) at 2004-09-22

see atranking list. League is started once a quarter or even trymester in year. let see at list of best palyers. How often it changes. FC Cwali now is out of first 10th.

As PASSANGER said - it is valid only MOMENT of start of tournament. It is just simpluy league system with only difference that VERY good player is able to go to first league. For instance my friend has 2270 ranking ELO (in chess FIDE rank) i think it is on of better player in kurnik. In ches one edition of chamiponship last about half an hour . So promotion to First league can be 2 years.. Long.. So it is gate for very god to go to first league. And sometimes smomebody weaker can go ….

Passanger, I can bid with you: even with your system of stoopin losing games you will be not able to 1900. Simpy as difference between ratings are higher and higer you after win have less and less point… Today I win with one with 1500 - and it was first game of that opponent. And I gave ZERO points of rating. I think now you can try to go 150-200 points go of your regular rating. Suppose you have now 1670.. I think 1820-1850 is maximum what you can have using your method.

And I propose bd.. Suppose on 1 November you have to have 1900 points - and you will be winner of bid.It can be another date - but which should be established NOW.

And no later than 1 december.

You have to have such number of points thorough 12 hours. And send to me SMS with this information to check it:)

Suppose that you will have under 1850 - I will be winner. If 1851-1899 - it is draw. Winner will have hmmm.. 6 bottles of good polish beer (zywiec? warka? or smth).

What do you think about it?

OK:) I will have 1900 rating exactly in 10 October:) Sorry everyone with who I will play until this day I won't finish lost games:) Bet is bet

• FC Schalke 05 at 2004-09-22

Passenger, did You really calculate?

Goober, for me the US-system is as long o.k., as I'm not included. Franchising sports - it hurts me really!

But next they will have WIN games with so good man…:) Who is coming U next will go DOWN

Hi Jupp, As they say: No risk no fun:) I've already had about 60 started games, and realy much time to start and play another:)

It will be interesting.. Player from 4th league and best ranking) for a moment but…

And I think it will be god argument that this system of league is much better.

After 90 minutes after our bet I'v got 1700:) It's good sign

• thekid at 2004-09-22

Passenger - you forgot one thing in your calculation. You think that people will finish their losing games with you. You play a lot of the same people all of the time. They will realize what you are doing and stop finishing games with you. Hence you will be forced to finish your earlier games that you already started and are losing which will make your rating plummet while the people hold out on their losers that they can finish later. You won't make it and people shouldn't help him by finishing theiir losers with him. It's not good sportsmanship.

Moral: Finish your games quickly win or lose. Don't fool around with what is a very good system here.

• Ronald Lokers at 2004-09-23

Joe, actually, I would finish the games I lose against passenger… now his rating is so high I will lose only a few points, compared to losing a lot of points when his rating is low ;-)

And in return I hope passenger will finish first the games he loses to me, before he finishes his other losing games, so my rating will profit most because his rating is still very high when I get the win! ;-))))

Seriously though, I don't really care about rating. I also disagree with the thing that top 10 players can go to the top division by skipping other divisions. Rating can be manipulated, as is shown by the discussion above, so if you want to be at the top, you fight your way from the bottom up, division by division. If you're the best, you'll win division #1 sooner or later anyway. All you need is a little patience to get there.

• Tore S at 2004-09-23

I agree with Ronald on all points.

Except that I hope passenger will finish my games before Ronalds:)

• ypercube at 2004-09-23

I agree with Ronald about the top-10 players skipping divisions is causing problems. However, in games like Go where a championship may take a whole year it's rather dissapointing to strong players that are new to this site to have to wait for 5 (!) years to even have a chance for the championship. Perhaps a middle-way solution sending the top-10 to 2nd division would be better. It might also drive people away from - trying to - manipulating rates.

• Krzysztof (Chris) at 2004-09-23

It simply should by conditoin that a man who is in top 10 should have rank which is “ticket” to top ten has at least one month. It will be good for Go and CHESS. If smb is GOOD he will be GOOD for long time. In Street soccer is a) fast game

b) a lot of games

c) a lot of good players

d) it is a little bit of luck in this game

so top 10th changes very fast.

So system is good for all games in LG but no in Street soccer.

But.. Here chamipnship is very fast so EACH player fast will be in proper league.

By me - it is noi problem with it.

• passenger at 2004-09-23

I really sorry everyone who think it's unfair, I want to say that it's only bet and only to 10 october, after this day everything wil be OK again, For my rating it's not good situation either, because playing normally I would have always rating about 1600, and now after 10 October my rating will be propably 1400, and one thing Joe, I will finish my lost games according to time, so as U know Ur games is first:)

• tonywu at 2004-09-23

i do think that top 10 can jump to league 1 is ok. (only for those never play in league 1) because this will probably give the new comer a good lesson.

i think that the skill level is quite close between league 1 & 2. so, the few who always play in league 1 is really master class.

surely, not me. i still fighting to get in league 1… ;)

• Robin at 2004-09-23

Only two players are in Leage 1 since the beginning: FC Cwali and klaashaas.

• Batman at 2004-09-23

During the last championship I was ranked in the top ten at the time it started. I was put into the 4th level. Goober, who is a friend of mine, had a lower ranking not in the top 10 and was put into the 1st level. This was the first time for both of us in the championship. I'm glad that Goober got a good ranking but how was he determined to be 1st class while I was determined to be 4th class? There's definitely something wrong here.

I will accept it as it is and hopefully in a year or so be up in the 1st level but I would have hoped a top 10 would be better than being put into the lowest level.

• antkam at 2004-09-24

the best new suggestion i heard is to put new top-10 players into SECOND level. IMHO no one deserves to jump into FIRST level because there are many more than 19 qualified players even among the oldtimers. heck, even the 18xx club may have 19 players now!!

the analogy with GO and CHESS is wrong because it is almost inconceivable that there is some super strong soccer player on earth who does not play here already! :) [there might be a few, but they perhaps all live near corne!] after all LG is the most popular place to play streetsoccer. so the concept of “new & strong” is almost non-existent. therefore “new & top-10” probably only means “new & lucky-at-the-moment”.

however, do we even know if the “new top-10 goes to level 1” rule is for all LG games? if so, it might be hard to change it just for streetsoccer.

BTW, passenger, i object to your bet. i know you think it's your bet and therefore your own business, but if i were your opponent i would not be happy to be _involuntarily_ involved in your experiment. everyone knows ratings can be manipulated. so no one should try it and that's the only way (honour system) to maintain its meaning. but of course, i'm not your opponent right now…

• tonywu at 2004-09-24

i think the top jump rule is a general rule for all games.

besides, just not too serious about rating. it change fast, at the start of this thread, i am 182x. now, already drop to 1760. 2 weeks ago, i even down to <1600!! so, am i a good or bad player?? surely, not as good as one who always stay high. ;)

• Krzysztof (Chris) at 2004-09-25

GO and CHESS was NO analogy but CONTRAST and eason for which this rule was introduced.

The only game with so big LUCK factor is SSoccer. But It is so speed game, that chamipnship is about 3 a year. So i f smb will go to much up (1 st div. ) he will be very quick relegate. So I think GOOD sides of this rule are bigger than bad.

And with rank - if smb. try to go to high - he will be very quick go down…

So..after 4 weeks it will be NO influence os passanger behaviour. Manipulating of ranking is self-punishment.

• Krzysztof (Chris) at 2004-09-25

some things can improve ranking chcnging :

a) raanking change is made NOT when is finished game - burt when is finished TOURNAMENT - for all play in tournament

b) ranking is changed not every day but for instance once a week on base on games from past week

c) when smb is new - he has bigger coefficient of channging rank ( for instance new loss 15 points when old gain only 3. May be it should be even smaller coefficient for street soccer - changes of rank then will be slower… For VERY old playesr…

Now win with player of the same rank gives 15 (or 16?) points - may be better it can be if it will give only 10? 8? 6? point…

• ypercube at 2004-09-27

Chris, about your suggestions:

a) and b) would pose big problems to the programmers of this site and not much gain in my opinion.

c) has already been implemented. Players with many games (more than 10), when they win (or lose) against players with few (less than 10) games, win (or lose) less rating points.

d) seems good to me because it can be easily done. It would flatten a bit the rating plot. But isn't it nice to have a plot that looks like a heart attack ?

• ypercube at 2004-09-27

Oh, and the points are 16 (when you win/lose) an equally rated player.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic