Corner fun Dots and Boxes

6 replies. Last post: 2015-03-02

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Corner fun
  • Christian K at 2015-03-01

Did you ever think about that it never matters which of the two moves in the corner you play :) most of you probably have, but the realisation didn't come to me until a few years ago when I programmed some D&B software. I just thought of it and thought that maybe someone didn't think of it :)

good day

• Loony at 2015-03-01

Yes, for some reason this was really hard for me also. I realized it only when I thought about the String and Coins equivalence.

• _syLph_ at 2015-03-01

Sometimes I'm spending multiple minutes thinking about which of the two moves I should play. I know it absolutely doesn't matter but then I just can't ignore the optical difference and try to optimise the “beauty” of the board as much as possible. When I'm done choosing I realise that I totally wasted my time again and that just makes me sad every time. The title is a lie… it's more a corner frustration than anything to be honest.

• William Fraser at 2015-03-01

I agree with the description “fun”.

That was the first discovery that I made that made me want to write The Shark.

The second was the hourglass:

After b1, a2, e4, d5 – all four moves which give up a box are equivalent.

• Christian K at 2015-03-02

Well I am glad I was not the only one who didn't see it immediately :) sorry about your corner frustration purgency.

• Loony at 2015-03-02

There are plenty of these, for example in this position g6 and e4 are equivalent or here i4,h3 and j3,i2 and k4,h1 are equivalent.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic