To resign or not to resign Dots and Boxes

4 replies. Last post: 2004-12-08

Reply to this topic Return to forum

To resign or not to resign
  • Ronald Lokers at 2004-12-08

I'm one of those players that resign if it's clear I can't win anymore. But a lot of players don't. They just let me click through all the chains. This isn't really helping against RSI ;-)

So why do people play on until the end? Are they hoping for a last mistake? Or is resigning considered rude? Or are they unaware of the fact that they've already lost?

• Tasmanian Devil at 2004-12-08

In Dots and some other games, like Othello, it can be interesting to see the score, not just who wins or loses. That's why I often don't resign before the end in those games (unless it is clear long before that I am being thrashed). Also, in Dots one might want to “punish” the winner by forcing him to take lots of boxes in the end. ;-)

• ypercube at 2004-12-08

Sometimes I play to see the score too. Will the winning player gets the highest possible score? Or just finish the games as soon as possible? Or will he make a slight mistake like Knox did in our last championship game? A mistake that would change the score from 12-13 to 13-12 ?!

Of course Knox did not make any mistake. The GUI however that Knox is using, and that is his programmer, did make a mistake!

• ypercube at 2004-12-08

GUI stands for Golem User Interface in the above post.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic