Reply to this topic Return to forum

New EWN Team Tournament
  • Carroll at 2012-03-20

Einstein tc.2.1.1 has started.

• KPT at 2012-03-20

:c !!!!

Go team!

• Dvd Avins at 2012-03-20

My team was disbanded and I didn't know it. I thought I'd be in this tournament.

• FatPhil at 2012-03-20

I forgot to sign RoRoRo up for one of the teams (he'd been invited to several) :-(

Entirely my fault, sorry to those who sent the invitations.

• YHW at 2012-03-21

Good for us! ;) On the other hand, after the two best german players (luiser & kitaktus) have decided not to play anymore I cancelled the german team to play with 2 strong colleagues and one of my bots only, unfortunately, I have not thought of asking very talented new players like darse and csun as well as na_wspak whether they want to play in our team because darse could be one of the best EWN players ever joined this page …

• KPT at 2012-03-21

You are right, i had some matches with him a couple of days ago.

• darse at 2012-03-22

[blush] Thanks for the nice words, guys. I really like the game – i've been looking for other good games like backgammon (perfect information, stochastic). I studied a lot of the bot matches (Sybil, RoRoRo the Bot, OneStone, naive_child, etc.) in order to learn the basic lessons fast; and then played a bunch of friendly games against the beasts to apply those principles in practice (and did okay against them).

Note, however, that i *am* playing correspondence, not “live”. In LG match play, i normally do a 2-ply analysis if the move isn't obvious, estimating the chances after the best move for each opponent piece, and then do the EV calculation. Comparing those outcomes side-by-side helps clarify the most important themes, and quantifies the value of a gamble. If still in doubt, i just follow Theo's maxim: “Always be in a hurry”.

• naive_child_c at 2012-03-24

teamp

(maximum score)ScorePointsHuman

brains and one BOT19%12 : 40EinStein

Italia16%6 : 40WE MOVE AT

RANDOM15%4 : 20Equipo

Español15%0 : 00EWN

Scientists15%0 : 00Finnish

EinStein Players14%4 : 40Serendipity14%0 : 20France

EWN12%0 : 40Sobral191911%0 : 60

Good start for team Italy, we move at random and us. Assumed that the chance to win a match is always 50%, this is the current state.

• FatPhil at 2012-03-24

Handy hint - don't put newlines in your formatted posts!

Sorry, I didn't noticed that.

I have inserted this calculation into my profile. That's easier for me.

I try to update the chance to win this team tournament once a day.

Take a look: STATS

• YHW at 2012-03-29

The current results look like a game 'Looser against the rest of the world'. ;) Good start for team 'EWN Scientists': STATS

• Jonny at 2012-04-03

I´m sorry that the team “We move at random” lost his owner. gpallis ist not playing in this tournament and lost his games without a move.

• YHW at 2012-04-03

That's a gift of 32 score points from “We move at random” to the other teams, interestingly, there's still a minimal chance for “We move at random” to get the most points (shared with at least one other team).

• KPT at 2012-04-05

doin' good doin' good my fellows!

• Dvd Avins at 2012-04-06

What happened to Team USA?

• YHW at 2012-04-06

It seems so that the Team USA split before the tournament started.

Updated prediction: STATS

• Dvd Avins at 2012-04-07

“Split” meaning divided into two parts? Meaning (slang) left the venue? I was on it and the first I heard was when the tournament started without me.

• YHW at 2012-04-08

I don't know who the owner of the team was. But it seems so that he removed the Team USA before the tournament started. Otherwise it would be with us in the tournament.

UPDATED PREDICTIONS

• KPT at 2012-04-09

I like your STATS YHW. Thanks for that.

• FatPhil at 2012-04-10

I particularly liked the

bit!

• KPT at 2012-04-10

D: !!

my profile is a mess also

is this because de new “textile markup” thing?
    what should i do? wait or fix it , because is not gonna change?

• YHW at 2012-04-11

That's realy bitter….I spent a lot of time to to simulate the current results with excel and to make my predictions look like this…
    Unfortunately, I don't know how to convert easily excel data into a textile format…

• YHW at 2012-04-11

OK, let's try it this way: STATS

• YHW at 2012-04-11

UPDATE

• Hjallti ★ at 2012-04-12

I just get a triangled exclamation mark

• MRFvR at 2012-04-12

So, be amazed… 8-)

• YHW at 2012-04-13

UPDATED TEAM RESULTS and TOP PLAYERS

I'll be in Hungary next week. I hope that I will have an internet access (for free) in our hotel, otherwise I'm going to post the next update until after next week.

• YHW at 2012-04-15

UPDATED TEAM RESULTS

• KPT at 2012-04-22

on your lands.

i'm carrying my handmade EWN board that i crafted myself.
    it would be great to have a match with some of you in person.

• YHW at 2012-04-23

kpato, your cruise line will not come to Hamburg?

Another time-out-player weakens the spanish team, so, there is barely no chance anymore to win the team tournament for the Equipo Español.
    Three players have finished not only one single game in the last month, but more than the half of all games are finished now.
    The advantage of the two best teams is great, but there is still a chance of 28% for the teams on positions 3 to 7 to reach at least a shared 1st place (assumed that the chance to win is always 50% for all remaining games). We have the best chance to win this tournament at the moment, nonetheless I have the feeling that the scientists are going to win this race…

• KPT at 2012-04-24

Im not going to Hamburg :(

i'm gonna post my itinerary soon.

• YHW at 2012-04-26

I've changed the calculation of my team-tournament-predictions. Now, I take the current score of all remaining games into account to get more realistic cases. The chance to win the remaining single games (scores) is still 50% for both players (the ability of the players as well as the current position on the board is not taken into account). However, the game 'Jonny - FatPhil' is lost for us, it is aleady counted. The current situation on the boards moves the Scientists to the top position =>

• Hjallti ★ at 2012-04-26

yeah… we gonna come through !!

• YHW at 2012-04-27

So, here's the next update which looks a bit more attractive in comparison to the last snapshots. This is the Monte Carlo simulation that takes the current score (today at 18:30) on the boards into account, in contrast to the simulation WITHOUT the current scores.
    In addition, here's another list which shows the remaining games that have the highest influence on the current ranking. In other words, these are the most important games/results or better said these are the BIG POINTS which would change the final results significantly.

• MarleysGhost at 2012-04-27

> takes the current score on the boards into account

Do you assume the remaining rounds are each won/lost according to the probability implied by rating difference?

If the probability of winning a round is w and the rounds are independent, then the probability, p, of winning a 3-round match is p=w**2*(3-2*w). The ratings are base on p, from which w can be extracted.

• YHW at 2012-04-29

Thanks for the hint, but which rating difference do you mean? The difference of the (ELO)-points of the individual players?
    The current individual ratings/points of the players are not so easy to import into an automated calculation because they are not shown on the team tournament page in contrast to other tournaments. I would have to search them (automatically) on several other pages (47 players).
    In my opinion, that would also not be so meaningful for EWN. There is a small advantage for the starting player and the rating points are varying too much because of the oversized k-factor. I'm calculating with an equal probability of 50% for all players and remaing rounds instead.
    Yes, I know how to calculate the probability to win a 3-round/point-match from the probability of winning a single round, but I have not tried to calculate the probabilities to win exactly 4 and/or more than 4 of 8 games with respect to the individual team vs. team results, as well as not the probability to get a specific number of total points for the teams. I found it easier to simulate it quickly…
    I'll put the predictions back on the child-profile as image. There will be also a download-link to find to a more attractive html version. I have no idea to convert this complex formatted html-file into a Textile format to publish the results in forum.

• KPT at 2012-05-06

i feel like there is something wrong with time official results page.

• YHW at 2012-05-09

There's nothing wrong with the official page. No team got points because no team vs. team match is completed…since this is not very helpful, I have calculated my own 'results'.

• YHW at 2012-05-11

The game Jonny vs. Looser is won for us and we have good chances to turn the result against the EWN Scientists to a draw. If this happens we have good chances to win the whole tournament, but currently the Scientists are still ahead: UPDATE

• YHW at 2012-05-14

We got the next time-out player, bad luck for team sobral. Maybe the team leaders should reorganize their teams before the next team tournament and should choose more reliable players the next time. Bad luck for team Serendipity that the first lost game against milesd was finished so quickly. The others got a good chance to win against him by waiting… ;) Unfortunately, that switches the chances to win significantly, the EWN Scientists got the best chance now - due to another inactive player… :( UPDATE

• KPT at 2012-05-24

what says your statistics now , YHW? :)

• YHW at 2012-05-28

Looks like a chance of approx 1/3 to get a shared 1st place as well as a chance of 40% for the scientists and 23% for you to win that tournament singly. dont forget team Italy.

• YHW at 2012-06-09

No significant change, we are still waiting for team Italy…

• YHW at 2012-06-12

My team falls deeper and deeper even if we have the best average performance. Apparently we won the wrong games. SERENDIPITY has the best chance to win this tournament at the moment: UPDATE

• Hjallti ★ at 2012-06-13

I could be wrong, but after our victory against Sobrai we have clinched it by now (this was not in the latest update calculated)

• YHW at 2012-06-13

People of whom you thought they were dead are living longer…it's not over as longs as Italy still has the chance to get 13 points. You know, you must always calculate with Italy, also applies to soccer. . ;) UPDATE

• Hjallti ★ at 2012-06-14

I also missed that Sobral is still playing against Serendipity giving them the change to get on 11 as well.

• YHW at 2012-06-14

Yes, Serendipity has still the chance to reach 11 points, where do you missed that ?

• YHW at 2012-06-14

The chance to be on the 1st place at the end with 11 points is 14% only,

• YHW at 2012-06-15

We are coming closer to the end

• FatPhil at 2012-06-17

My 2 points are in the bag now, so Serendipity ands on 11.

• FatPhil at 2012-06-17

for values of 11 closer to 12

• YHW at 2012-06-17

…leads to a higher chance for a shared 1st place.

• YHW at 2012-06-21

The next time-out brings Serendipty the twelfth point

• FatPhil at 2012-06-21

Even a lack of timeout, and that point's mine. It would be a shame if silviatab timed out all of her games, as there's a fair chance of her winning either of the two remaining scientists ones, if only she plays the moves.

• Hjallti ★ at 2012-06-25

I wouldn't be so sure :-) Anyway it would be a shame to win the tournament by time out indeed

• Hjallti ★ at 2012-06-27

It is all over…

We, the scientists, won!

Well played team!

• FatPhil at 2012-06-27

Congra *cough* silviatab *cough* timed out *cough* tulations!

• KPT at 2012-06-27

no comments.

• KPT at 2012-06-27

but i think she has time to play in other matches

link:http://www.littlegolem.net/jsp/game/game.jsp?gid=1432070

• Hjallti ★ at 2012-06-27

Did he time out… after I made the final move to 3-2 ????
    I am shocked. I didn't even know you could time out after the game was finished… that must be the second strange thing in a team tournament.

• FatPhil at 2012-06-27

Not in your match, but she timed out in “this match with Score Blue/Red: 2 / 2”:http://www.littlegolem.net/jsp/game/game.jsp?gid=1432823

• YHW at 2012-06-27

You never win a championship in a single game. You need a lot of luck, especially in those 3-point-matches, but the scientists were one of the top teams from the beginning on and I guess Looser would have won this game anyway. He's one of the best players in tournament and the scientists a dignified winner. Congratulation !

I must say that the first days/weeks of the team tournament were really fun. It is great to play against so many opponents (who usually play not so often), in general, this is perhaps the best tournament ever with respect to fun, but that the last third is only consisting of waiting with such an end is really an annoying thing….

So the first two positions as well as #9 are clear.

• FatPhil at 2012-06-27

From serendipity's results, 26 individual matches could have made the difference between a 2nd place and a shared 1st place. Only 3 were matches which went via 2:2, and thus swung on the final deciding frame:
    http://www.littlegolem.net/jsp/game/game.jsp?gid=1432886
    http://www.littlegolem.net/jsp/game/game.jsp?gid=1432888
    http://www.littlegolem.net/jsp/game/game.jsp?gid=1432759
    All 3 with me being the loser.

So basically, this is all my fault - sorry team :-(

I agree, it was great fun to play so many opponents, but you are also right that the dragging on at the end was a bit of a damp squib.

• Jonny at 2012-06-30

Last game of Human Brains is gone.

• KPT at 2012-07-02

well i guess is over.

Congrats to the Scientist, well done, etc, etc, etc…

But i would like to say, that PLEASE, Captains,
    make sure that all yours players are ACTIVE before the tournaments starts.

Or if u are going to be away for a while, be diligent and quit your team
    Like Yper did. Ask Neptun i many times i ask him if i was okay for playing the tc.

just that.
    cheers

• Hjallti ★ at 2012-07-06

That is the reason I would like to see a 2 weeks advance notification of the start of the next team tournament.

• FatPhil at 2012-07-06

RoRoRo tells me he wants to join a team. Is there room for a second bot?

• YHW at 2012-08-28

I'm not sure that the next team tournament will be free of time-out-players. The team 'WE MOVE AT RANDOM' is founded by gpalis, but he finished his last game in march and the date of his last connect is '2011-12-10 21:06'.
    I just sent him a message to check whether he's active or not. If not, the other players of this team should better switch to or found another team, otherwise they would have been lost again from the beginning without fault.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic