New bot Einstein forum

26 replies. Last post: 2007-07-13

Reply to this topic Return to forum

New bot
  • FatPhil at 2007-05-16

Please challenge 'RoRoRo the Bot' at a game of EinStein.

I've been trainig him for a month now, and probably plays at about ~1650-1700.

He plays using a 3-ply logic with a simple static board evaluation function after those 3 plies. I have noticed him playin better after 2 plies, so will occasionally pull him down to 2-plies if I notice his 3-ply strategy is crap.

If no-one complains, I'll have him sign up for tournaments.

• ypercube at 2007-05-16

Great. What's the id of the RoRoRo…Bot ?

• Ed Collins at 2007-05-16

It looks like the id # is 14203

http://www.littlegolem.net/jsp/info/player.jsp?plid=14203

• Ingo Althofer at 2007-05-17

To FatPhil:

Standard name-giving here on LittleGolem

(and also on Inetplay, another internet server

where EinStein is played)

for computer players is a “_c” at the end,

so for instance

RoRoRo_c

It would be nice when you also adopted

this nomenclature.

Have fun, Ingo.

• FatPhil at 2007-05-20

I messaged the webmaster a while back to ask if there were any protocols I should follow. He didn't respond, so I took that to mean that there were no such conventions. I decided that it was preferable to be explicit about it being a robot, in the same way that “Jan's Program” is ( http://www.littlegolem.net/jsp/info/player.jsp?plid=3107 ), rather than the rather more cryptic '_c' ending.

• Marius Halsor at 2007-05-20

Heh, this bot name is really based on a song, right? :-)

• ypercube at 2007-05-20

A list of programs playing at golem can be found at the golem word game forum. Some new bots are not listed there.

As you can see, there is a wide variation on choosing the names. Some prefer the _c ending, some others the -ai and some none of the above.

• FatPhil at 2007-05-20

One of my foibles is the desire to give things stupid names - and indeed, Marius, it is named after the song! :-I

• FatPhil at 2007-05-30

One thing that has confused a couple of the people who have played RoRoRo the Bot is that all in-game messages get forwarded to me, I respond to RoRoRo, and then RoRoRo includes my response with his move. This of course stops the game whilst waiting for the human.

Do people have any suggestions on how to deal with this situation? What is more important - keeping the flow of the game fast, or making sure that messages that invite a response get one? I'd like the bot to be as opponent-friendly as possible.

• Carroll at 2007-05-30

If it is a question he can not answer itself, then it might be worth interrupting while you cook an answer (questions about anlysis, RoRoRo could send its logs). Otherwise having a fast strong opponent is fun !

• FatPhil at 2007-05-30

Several possibilities went through my mind:

1) If there's one of a set of special phrases in the message, don't delay the game, otherwise by default wait for the human. Something like /(no\|don'?t) (reply\|respond\|answer)/

2) If there's one of a set of special phrases in the message, wait for the human, otherwise by default just plough on. Perhaps a response could include info on how to grab the human's attention. Something like /(\?\|Phil)/, i.e. any question or any reference to me.

3) Maybe in addition to the above, have a time-out, so that if I don't get to it within a certain period of time, play will continue anyway.

I certainly do want the ability to get the bot to dump its board evaluation, including what it thinks the human should do for each of the 6 possible rolls. That way it could be used as a training aid. Unfortunately that requires quite a bit of re-engineering.

Maximising human fun is the most important aspect.

• Telestes at 2007-06-03

Nice to have an EWN bot online for quick play. Endgame moving should be improved first (biggest mistakes). But good job so far!

What programming language (C++/Java/..) did you use?

• Theo van der Storm at 2007-06-03

I would like to see the score associated with the bot move.

As a player I certainly do NOT like to see what I’m supposed to do, except as a post-mortem analysis which the bot could supply (please) at the end of each point.

Of course it should then only consider the dice actually rolled.

• FatPhil at 2007-06-05

@Telestes - it's entirely in Perl. Perl's so convenient for the web interaction, and I just threw together some simple AI for working out the best moves. I plan to write a C version which will hopefully have far better AI. I don't look deeper as the number of dice decreases, which I should probably do. 6*6*6 work is pretty swift, and if there are only 3 dice each, then 3*3*3*3*3 isn't much more, but gives two full plies more.

@Theo - the bot's instantanious view of the game should be easy to add. I was thinking that the fuller forward analysis would only be an on demand option. Perhaps only enablable in non-ratings games.

Thanks for the feedback.

• FatPhil at 2007-06-15

Someone (he/she may identify him/herself if he/she so desires) has just raised an interesting point in an in-game message, and I thought it was worth throwing it out to the larger community:

It has been suggested that as I am in Finland, my bot should wave the Finnish flag too. I personally had the preference of pretending that the bot was in “cyberspace”, rather than in a human country, and thus should belong to no country at all. However, if there's a consensus that RoRoRo the Bot should also pretend to be a Finn, I'll comply. I need to teach him how to edit his own profile anyway… (which assumes it's a 'he'!).

Feel free to shout if you feel strongly either way.

Cheers.

• KPT at 2007-06-15

it was my idea.

the other bots have flags (i think all are GERMANS)

the credits of the bot are from the programmer.

like in BOT competences…

im agree.

• FatPhil at 2007-06-25

I don't know if Richard will change how the bot will upload a profile, given the recent hacking that's taken place, so I'll not code that until things settle down.

Until then, RoRoRo's now running an experimental adaptive 5-9-ply analysis (depends on how many dice are left), rather than the previous 3-ply analysis. I've rewritten the whole back end in C rather than Perl. (The identical algorithm, although it does appear there are some bugs, but I don't know if they're in the C version or the Perl version.)

• KPT at 2007-06-27

so? the flag?

• FatPhil at 2007-06-28

OK, I'll work on the principle that it's easy, and just do the simplest thing possible…

• FatPhil at 2007-06-28

Seems to work.

• MichaeI X at 2007-06-28

re auto answering in game messages:

RoRoRo should concentrate on playing well, but there's Eliza, who does a good job in answering. “Understanding” seems not too hard to pretend, at least the way a professional psychiatrist/therapist does.

BTW: " RoRoRo the Bot_c " is just a stupid name. Do not change, even if it's simple to do!

Anyone who does not notice RoRoRo is from Cyberspace in reality, does not deserve more hints. The Finish flag is ok if you think so, even if you're not yet finished with RoRoRo.

• Diamante at 2007-07-12

Does it like to play all with a bot?? Itseems to my me to be stupid enough.

• FatPhil at 2007-07-12

Peut-être en Francais?

Est-ce que vous avez dit que mon bot est bête?

Zut alors!!!!

Quelle fromage!

• Diamante at 2007-07-13

Je n'entends pas ce que tu me veux dire

être? bête?

• FatPhil at 2007-07-13

etre, bete

The unicode got garbled

• Carroll at 2007-07-13

tres tres bon!

bon et bete commencent par la meme lettre…

et belle.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic