Julio Cortázar Centenary Morelli

4 replies. Last post: 2014-12-23

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Julio Cortázar Centenary
  • Richard Moxham at 2014-12-02

As some of you may be aware, Morelli takes its name from a character in Julio Cortázar’s novel Rayuela (Hopscotch).  The fictional Morelli describes a version of chess he has heard of in which victory is achieved by conquering the Centre.  He also recalls hearing that each of the players is required to manage no fewer than 60 pieces!
    Well, this year is the 100th anniversary of Cortázar’s birth, and our colleague Héctor Máximo Canteros, a compatriot of the great man, recently contributed to the celebrations by introducing Morelli the boardgame to a Buenos Aires audience (see the November edition of Héctor’s ludoskopio.blogspot.co.uk for a lovely record of the event).  Inspired by this, I thought it would be fun if some of us on LG were to enter into the spirit of the centenary by attempting a game on the insane scale posited by the original Morelli.  Accordingly, Richard Malaschitz – a good sport if ever there was one – has been kind enough to implement the 31x31 format in the Infinity section of Morelli.  Feel free to enjoy this freakish opportunity while it lasts – the option won’t remain available for very long.
    And a huge thank you to both Richard and Héctor.

• Carroll ★ at 2014-12-02

Yes very nice initiative!
    Why not create a 31x31 user tournament too, so that everyone interested can play against one another?
    The link to register to the infinity tournament is here: http://www.littlegolem.net/jsp/games/registrate.jsp?gtid=morelli&trntyp=in&variant=SIZE31&action=add

• ypercube ★ at 2014-12-02

I do hope the variant stays available, for ever.

I suggest a member of the site creates a 31x31 tournament for the occasion!

• ypercube ★ at 2014-12-23

The trournament is ready:  Julio Cortázar Centenary 31x31

Starts at 2014, December 31st.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic

Include game board: [game;id:123456] or [game;id:123456;move:20] or [game;id:123456;move:20;title:some text]