Maybe, just maybe... Catchup

16 replies. Last post: 2018-08-14

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Maybe, just maybe...
  • Maurizio De Leo at 2018-07-29

https://littlegolem.net/jsp/tournament/tournament.jsp?trnid=catchup.ch.15.1.1

• NickBentley at 2018-07-29

Jos isn't crushing everyone?!? This is a sign of end times.

• Carroll at 2018-07-30

Gamesorry !

• Rex Moore at 2018-07-30

I think it's going to happen!

• ypercube at 2018-07-30

Looks like it!

• gamesorry ★ at 2018-07-31

It happened!

• ypercube at 2018-07-31

Congrats Maurizio!

And to the other five. 6-way ties are extremely rare.

• Florian Jamain at 2018-07-31

Congrats :D

• NickBentley at 2018-07-31

woah

• Rex Moore at 2018-07-31

I think Son used to be explained somewhere, but I can't find it now. How Did Maurizio get so much more than the rest?

Congrats, Maurizio!

• Maurizio De Leo at 2018-07-31

Thanks to everybody. It was a great tournament and my first championship win, 15 years after i joined the site. I guess that is also sort of  a record ( https://www.littlegolem.net/jsp/forum/topic2.jsp?forum=1&topic=3111) as the 6-way tie.

I started the tournament with good ambitions after arriving third last year. However I took one of the opponents too lightly (never trust ratings) and I quickly lost to Gridgo. Although I dragged the game to the end, I think it is already lost here.

Following that loss, I started playing more carefully, but I got soundly beaten by Jugular in this game. Nothing to really analyze, he simply played better. Same thing for my game with Jos, which I also brought to the end although I had lost by move 21.

With three losses and nothing to “aim for” I probably improved the level of play. I am quite proud of my wins against Rex Moore, where I thought I was behind, but i turned the tables with move 20. Against Bennok i played a bold move not connecting at the boundary and it worked out. I also won against gamesorry, but more of an happenstance of “first to connect is advantaged” rather than strategy.

Then I started seeing the possibility of an unlikely 6-way tie and arriving first on tiebreakers. However the game between Rex Moore and gamesorry seemed very much lopsided in favour of the latter by move 19. Kudos to Rex for not giving up and keeping posing threats. I think the last mistake by gamesorry is at move 25 where he should have played I3 and limited the northeast group to 6 , winning on the strength of the third biggest group.

Regardless of the win, I definitely think that some players are stronger than me (at least Jos, Jugular and probably also Florian which did not participate), but I'm happy with the result.

• Maurizio De Leo at 2018-07-31

Regarding SON, it is the sum of the points of the opponents you defeat, multiplied by 2.

I was ahead because 4 of my wins are against players with 8 or 10 points, where the other players in the 6-way tie had only 3 wins against this opposition.

• NickBentley at 2018-08-13

Maurizio:

I'm curious: how has your perception of the game changed as you've risen through the ranks? (no need to answer if too busy / don't feel like it / whatever)

• William Fraser at 2018-08-13

Just to be clear on SON, it's the sum of all opponents you've played, multiplied by the score you got against them (so, twice the wins plus one times the ties, in the case of a 0-1-2 scoring game. It's more complex in street soccer, which uses a 5-point scale).

• Maurizio De Leo at 2018-08-14

Nick,

As in every good abstract, the process of discovery is what brings me enjoyment.  So, as I learned new “tricks”,my appreciation for the game grew. Regarding the perception change, I initially thought of Catchup as a connection game, like *star or Poly-Y. However I realized it is actually more akin to a territory game, like Amazon in a way.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic