With regard to triple ko. Go forum

12 replies. Last post: 2015-06-25

Reply to this topic Return to forum

With regard to triple ko.
  • Balladbird at 2008-02-18

What rules does LG inforce when it comes to events of triple ko? There is no way to draw a go match, so should it be determined on a case by case basis given the situation of the board? My example is on the 9x9: http://www.littlegolem.net/jsp/game/game.jsp?gid=844347

as you can see, the majority of the board, and the game, will be decided by the outcome, and no threats exist outside of the ko itself.

• BlackLab at 2008-02-24

so, why did white resign?

• MichaeI X at 2008-02-26

Obviously LG does not check for any recurring board position and super-ko. White's move 78.f5 was the first repetition (of 72.f5), 84.f5 would have been the next one ;) and thus White politely and correctly resigned.

It's always the players' task to agree on a result. LG only counts, based on what you agree as dead. Without agreement, there's no end of a Go game here on LG, and there's no referee.

Congratulations, Balladbird. Good game!

• Thomas at 2009-05-01

It is stated that the Japanese rules are used at LG, but don't these say that the local Ko-rule is used and that a game is drawn or repeated if it goes into an endless cycle?

• Frank!! at 2009-05-11

I think under Japanese rules it's a no-result, voided. At least not a draw.

• MichaeI X at 2009-05-11

There's no such thing as a no-result here. And with a x.5 komi, there isn't even a draw!

“Japanese” in this context just means that area (and prisoners) are counted.

See sensei's Area vs Territory scoring and note that here even the seki eye counting (see diagram 4 on that page) is not “Japanese” but “simple and thus beautiful”.

• MichaeI X at 2009-05-11

Sorry, “Japanese” of course means “territory” (count empty space inside plus prisoners plus dead stones like prisoners).

In contrast to “Chinese”, which means “area” (kill dead stones, then count the stones on the board and the empty space, but ignore prisoners).

(oversimplifying again, but not completely wrong ;)

• Frank!! at 2009-05-11

Yeah, I know there's no no-result here, I just think that's the way it “ought” to be since this site claims to use Japanese rules? I don't think it's a good solution though, I vastly prefer New Zealand rules or others that has a) superko and b) free handicap placement. I find area scoring a lot easier to explain to beginners too (try telling them about bent four the very first session, or why it is “defined” to be dead).

• Malcolm Schonfield at 2015-03-18

???

• Malcolm Schonfield at 2015-03-21

It's a pity littlegolem doesn't handle this so well. My game #1679487 has got stuck in a triple ko.

My opponent has agreed for the game to be marked as a draw, so I wrote to Richard Malaschitz on 2015-03-05, asking him to do that, but I haven't heard anything since then.

My opponent has also suggested we play another game in order to decide the outcome of the triple ko game, but I prefer not to.

I may end up resigning the game at some point, as there is no point simply continuing the cycle of moves indefinitely.

• Malcolm Schonfield at 2015-03-21

[game;id:1679487

• Malcolm Schonfield at 2015-06-25

Just for the record: the game was eventually concluded as a draw after I created a ticket here: https://bitbucket.org/rmalaschitz/littlegolem/issueshttps://bitbucket.org/rmalaschitz/littlegolem/issue/37/unable-to-mark-a-game-of-go-as-a-draw

A public “Thank you very much” to Rio Malaschitz for sorting it out!

Return to forum

Reply to this topic