An introduction to t-Go and a javascript viewer for t-Go SGF data from Little Golem Go forum

12 replies. Last post: 2017-07-01

Reply to this topic Return to forum

An introduction to t-Go and a javascript viewer for t-Go SGF data from Little Golem
  • Malcolm Schonfield at 2017-06-15

I would welcome feedback on this new article I’ve written: An introduction to toroidal Go.
    Also, I’ve made a tool for reviewing t-Go games from little Golem. It’s alpha software and provided on an “as is” basis: link.

Cheers!

• ypercube at 2017-06-16

Thank you for the great article.

Regarding sizes, what would you think of a rectangular torus board? Examples: 9x17, 5x17, 7x15, 11x19, 7x19, 5x19.

• ypercube at 2017-06-16

I created a user tournament: Torus Torus, Torus 2017

Two games per opponent, starts in June 20.

• gamesorry at 2017-06-17

I’m getting the following error when trying to register for the tourney:

HTTP ERROR 404

Problem accessing /ng/a/index.jsp. Reason:

/ng/a/index.jsp

anyone seeing the same?

• Malcolm Schonfield at 2017-06-18

Hi Gamesorry, I was able to register with no problems using Chrome on an android phone. Maybe you could try using a different browser? Also the one time I had a technical problem on little golem (it involved a triple ko!) I raised the ticket at the following URL and it got sorted out very quickly:

bitbucket.org/rmalaschitz/littlegolem

http://bitbucket.org/rmalaschitz/littlegolem

• gamesorry at 2017-06-18

Oh I just looked it up in the User Tournament page instead of the clicking on the link above, and successfully registered.

It might have something to do with the url:

success: https://www.littlegolem.net/ng/a/Ctrn.action?dto.id=1065&view=

failure: https://www.littlegolem.net/ng/a/Ctrn.action?view=&dto.id=1065

• gamesorry at 2017-06-18

hmm actually both work for me now. Not sure what happened

• Sighris at 2017-06-19

Malcolm Schonfield, very cool!  Thanks for sharing! 

ypercube ★, Interesting idea / question. 

Another T-Go possibility is to add a shift/twist (literally) into the mapping of the surface such that on the 5x5 T-Go game with 25 intersections named: 

• E1 E2 E3 E4 E5
    • D1 D2 D3 D4 D5
    • C1 C2 C3 C4 C5
    • B1 B2 B3 B4 B5
    • A1 A2 A3 A4 A5

“A1” would connect to “B5” (instead of A5); “B1”  would connect to “C5”; “C1” would connect to “D5”; and "E1would connect to “A5” (instead of E5).... 

The above is a one unit shift/twist; but a 2 or more unit shift could also be done.  

• ypercube at 2017-06-20

@Sighris yes, that’s another way to wrap a square in a torus.

I think there are other way as well, to wrap a torus. Not necessarily with a rectangular shape.

Example, with shifts both vertical and horizontal and an a shape of a 3x3 square with a square removed:

A3 B3 C3

A2 B2 B3

A1 B1

The tiling:

C2 A1 B1 A3 B3 C3 ...

A3 B3 C3 A2 B2 C2 ...

A2 B2 C2 A1 B1 ...

A1 B1 A3 B3 C3 ...

• ypercube at 2017-06-20

Correction for the shape (tiling is correct):

A3 B3 C3

A2 B2 C2

A1 B1

• Malcolm Schonfield at 2017-06-25

@ypercube, about your question "what would you think of a rectangular torus board? Examples: 9x17, 5x17, 7x15, 11x19, 7x19, 5x19"

Yes, these would probably be nice spaces to play Go on. I don’t think it necessary has to be odd numbers. Still, I would expect the game to be have less strategic potential with narrow boards. It could be nice to compare 7x19 (=133 points) with 11*11 (121 points).

@Sighris and ypercube, I hadn’t thought of that. I would call these variants “twisted toroidal Go”. These also would be nice spaces to play Go on.

Thanks both of you for your kind words about my article.

• Sighris at 2017-07-01

ypercube ★, Interesting.... IIRC, two squares, one smaller than the other, can also be used to map a torus and doing so requires a “twisting” {meaning ALL of BOTH the X and Y coordinates/lines pass through the center/hole of the torus (and wrap around the “outside”.  If I can find some spare/entertainment/math(geometry)-fun time I will explain that more clearly later. 
    Malcolm Schonfield, yes, it would be interesting to "compare 7x19 (=133 points) T-Go with 11*11 (121 points) T-Go! - but my intuition (which might be wrong) says that a square mapping (11x11) would be more interesting, or at least easier to comprehend for Go players use to playing on a square board, than the rectangular 7x19 (=133 points) mapping... what if we took the rectangular idea to the extreme, what would it be like to play on a 3x50 (150 points) T-GoBan?  Super-weird? It would look like... no, it would be that every stone played was a wall of stones with a 2-space hole in the wall on each side of the single stones; like this: OOXOOXOOXOOXOOXO... even though all of the stone(s)/X would be the same stone/X!  And with one more move/play (just two moves) a player could make (two) wall(s) like OXXOXXOXXOXXOXXO... spaced 149 intersections apart. That would get very weird very quickly IMO. 

Return to forum

Reply to this topic

Include game board: [game;id:123456] or [game;id:123456;move:20] or [game;id:123456;move:20;title:some text]