1g0 (VS Eidogo) : feedback wanted Go forum

11 replies. Last post: 2018-10-20

Reply to this topic Return to forum

1g0 (VS Eidogo) : feedback wanted
  • kubicle at 2018-02-19

Some of you who use Eidogo to plan their next move in a game might have tried the new link next to Eidogo (on desktop site)…

What is 1g0:

- SGF viewer / editor working in most browsers.

- You can import, study, and export games, and sync your games with Dropbox.

- 1g0 works on phones too (iOS and Android).

- There is no “tree-view” and it will remain this way. Tree-views are not very intuitive to visualise game variations, and they are very inconvenient for small screens.

Of course, many improvements are needed, and many others would be a great addition. Please drop a note about which you want the most.

Thank you for any feedback.

• urmaul at 2018-03-02

[I had just written quite some feedback, but then I accidentally dragged and dropped some text into this editor and it was lost :-( . This is my second attempt.]

The following comments are all negative, and many may be irrelevant. I think 1g0 looks nice and works fine overall.

Today, I clicked a 1g0 link for the first time. I saw only the black-and-white-noise loading(?) image, so it seemed to be it was defunct for the time being and I went back to LG. Now, when I click a 1g0 link, the application needs about one second to load (which is fine), and then works correctly. I'm not sure what happened during the first attempt, but it may have had to do with impatience and my device being an old laptop. But I surely waited more than a second.

I find the “Get latest game moves” window unnecessary and therefore slightly annoying.

I don't know whether you care about devices other than mobile phones. My screen resolution is 1024x768. The space available for the application is approximately 1024x558.

- It uses a little too much space, vertically. There is a scroll bar and I can scroll up and down 4(?) pixels. Because of the scroll bar, the width of the available space is apparently reduced to 1008. With a game loaded, the inspector says: 1) “html” has the size 1008x558, like it should. “html” is the whole application, except the 4 rows of black pixels that can only be seen by scrolling down. (With the cafeAuLait scheme, these rows are not black, they've got the right color.) 2) div.topMenu has the size 1008x50. 3) div.gameUi has the size 1008x512. This includes the 4 bottom rows of pixels. 50 + 512 - 558 = 4. Similarly, when I'm in the “my games” menu, “divSlideMenu” is 3 pixels too tall.

- The slideMenu is hardly usable for me, surely it was designed for mobile phones. It interferes with the menu and “…” buttons: These don't work when I click on them near the left borders.

- Because of 1g0's menu bar, status bar and navigation bar, the size of div.gobo is only 1004x371, so the board is smaller than it had to be, and there is a lot of space to its left and right. For my device it might be better if these bars were somehow replaced to the right of the board, so the board could be 550x550 or so. But this way it's okay too.

- When I click on “Export game”, the “Export game” window is slightly cut off at the top.

What I really wanted when I clicked “Export game” was a link that I could use in the comments below. Because, when I switch the game via the “My games” menu, the URL stays the same.

Below the window there is , while space below the window, with a height of maybe 30 pixels, which I can reach by scrolling down, goes unused.

Scoring doesn't seem to work very well yet. When I load game 1501535, 1g0 wrongly considers three points around m15 to be neutral. When I load game 1923424, and use the “Evaluate score” function, many groups' life/death status is incorrect. I'm aware that it's very difficult to correctly score a finished game in general, but I don't see a way to change the group statuses manually. If there is no way to do it, this is the feature I'm missing most.

An additional feature I would like is to be able to use arrow keys to navigate the game, when applicable. In this case, the navigation bar wouldn't be as important. It wouldn't have to be permanently visible, and could even be omitted completely.

• urmaul at 2018-03-02

It seems I accidentally used a markup to strike text through. So I repeat the part in question here for ease of reading:

The following comments are all negative, and many may be irrelevant. I think 1g0 looks nice and works fine overall.

Today, I clicked a 1g0 link for the first time. I saw only the black-and-white-noise loading(?) image, so it seemed to be it was defunct for the time being and I went back to LG. Now, when I click a 1g0 link, the application needs about one second to load (which is fine), and then works correctly. I’m not sure what happened during the first attempt, but it may have had to do with impatience and my device being an old laptop. But I surely waited more than a second.

I find the “Get latest game moves” window unnecessary and therefore slightly annoying.

I don’t know whether you care about devices other than mobile phones. My screen resolution is 1024x768. The space available for the application is approximately 1024x558.

Also, I forgot to link to game 1923424.

• urmaul at 2018-03-02

“Below the window there is , while space below the window, with a height of maybe 30 pixels, which I can reach by scrolling down, goes unused.” This sentence seems to be made up of parts I meant to have deleted.

• Dvd Avins at 2018-03-03

There needs to be a way to pass.

• kubicle at 2018-03-11

Thank you both very much for these feedbacks.

I have been a bit busy with other things lately but I will address each of these ASAP.

The “pass” during study mode is already coded and will go into next release. Other necessary changes are also scheduled in the same release so I cannot do it right now yet.

BTW, suppose I give a “preview version” link, would you be interested to “beta test” the next version before the release?

• kubicle at 2018-04-15

Version 0.2.20 is in preview at:

https://ig0.herokuapp.com/?version=preview

• kubicle at 2018-04-16

@urmaul again, thanks a lot for all your feedback, and sorry I could not get back with details earlier. Trying to catch up now! :)

Here are the points I get from your posts, and my reply or future plan about each point:

• Delay of a few seconds when starting 1g0: it is currently hosted for free onHeroku, and a 6-7 seconds delay is visible when no previous request was made since a few minutes (because the box goes on “iddle mode”). This means sometimes you will not see this delay, but often you will have wait. I have no plan to change this at this point - if more people are using the link, this will happen less and less.
    • “Get latest game moves” log window appears when you chose “Update from LittleGolem” menu option; when all goes fine it is true that the log window is useless. However, in case of error, or even to confirm that your game was actually updated with the latest version from LittleGolem, this window has its use. Maybe in case all went good I could replace it by a smaller “autoclose” popup, which would spare you (the user) a tap/click to close the log window. This is low on my priority list at this point.
    • I care about ALL screen resolutions, so I will check yours (around 1024x558 in a browser) and see what I can improve. Thanks for your detailed “div” size investigation! About a “Landscape” mode with game board on the left and most other controls on the right side, I did not give up working on it. I would say this is a “middle priority” in my list for now.
    • Bug of sliding menu interfering with left-side buttons when using a mouse/desktop: thank you, added to my TODO list.
    • Export (or “share”) a game link: this is a very good point. I can easily add an already made link into the “Export game” window. Note that only the public game record from LittleGolem (or other site) will be “shared”, because the study you are doing locally inside 1g0 remains local and cannot be shared unless you send the SGF file (or game special PNG) to someone. I hope players will be OK with this.
    • Use keyboard shortcuts to navigate the game: I add this to “good suggestion” list; note that I will rather reorganize the UI (like “landscape mode” mentioned above) instead of hiding buttons when in desktop environment.
    • Scoring and Evaluate Score features: yes, both of these need some extra work. Both are already in my TODO list.
  • kubicle at 2018-05-01

Version 0.2.20 has been released this week-end - this has the “pass during study” feature requested by Dvd Avins.

Changes in 0.2.20: - You can tap on last stone played in Study mode to delete it (same action as “trash” button). - You can “pass” in Study mode using “…” popup menu. - Study mode shows buttons to go to next move even if there is only 1 “variation” (more coherent). - Now displays game comment (GC tag from SGF) and first comment made before game starts. - Refactored move tree (more efficient).

0.2.21 is in the oven, with improvements on the “Export Game” dialog, and other goodies.

• kubicle at 2018-10-15

Version 0.4.0 is out, give it a try!

https://ig0.herokuapp.com/

Plan for next release includes improvements in the score counting feature. Stay posted…

• kubicle at 2018-10-20

What's new in 0.4.0:

- Game comment viewing/editing.

- Easy game import using game ID from 4 sites: Dragon Go, KGS, Little Golem and OGS (see screenshot below).

- Import SGF by copy-paste now handles multiline comments.

- Close button in title bar of most dialogs.

- Easier navigation using “My games” and archived game lists.

- New icons for bookmark add & remove.

- Fixed SGF load when game contains a custom setup position (“shape”). Thanks JUG for spotting the issue!

- Fixed SGF with no real move (e.g. Kogo's Joseki Dictionary): first variation was saved as real.

- Fixed issues after reloading a game against bot (ko rule violation and invalid moves after using “undo”).

- Fixed desktop click issue (since 0.3.0) on go board & improved drag/tap detection.

- Fixed cleanup bookmark if moves are deleted (single move or variation).

- Fixed download latest from Dragon Go Server (went https).

- Fixed issue when using “Import” button from “My games” dialog (empty game list until reload).

Return to forum

Reply to this topic