So... Moscow(18) is in Europe?? Game of Empathy

12 replies. Last post: 2011-03-23

Reply to this topic Return to forum

So... Moscow(18) is in Europe??
  • Aganju at 2011-03-19

Didn't know that. Must have missed that part in school :-(

• JeanHebert at 2011-03-19

I thought about putting it in, but I thought most people wouldn't. So I put Lisbon(6) instead…

• MarleysGhost at 2011-03-20

The accepted boundary between Europe and Asia predates the discovery of plate tectonics (which I presume is the only geologic, as opposed to historic, social or cultural, reason to make such a boundary), so if the Urals are formed by the collision of two plates, it's just a happy coincidence.

• Dvd Avins at 2011-03-20

Even though most of the land of Russia is in Asia, the overwhelming majority of people and major cities are in Europe.

• Aganju at 2011-03-20

yes, but not Moscow. That would be the same as declaring Toronto being in the USA.

• Talizess at 2011-03-20

USA is a continent ? I must have missed that part of geography ;-)

• quartastella at 2011-03-20

Moscow IS in Europe as it is well west of the Urals. I think you're confusing Moscow with Vladivostok.

And in Toronto if you spit due south (and there is a little bit of wind), the spit becomes property of the U.S. government.

Kazan is about 600 miles due East if Moscow and even Kazan is in Europe, though by then you're getting close to the border, which is the Ural Mountains.

Maybe Aganju's confusing Europe with the European Union.

• FatPhil at 2011-03-20

Europe as a geographical entity reaching the Urals is certainly well-attested historically (and yes, I was one of the 18). However, it's pretty useless as a concept, and should probably be retired. The political entity is significantly more useful, and indeed, Moscow's nowhere to be seen.

• Hjallti ★ at 2011-03-22

It is also strange that THE european Capital was not mentionned by everyone… I was wondering about Luxembourg and Strassbourg, but didn't play them.

• Dvd Avins at 2011-03-23

I think the general attitude in the US (and probably the entire Western Hemisphere) is that political “Europe” is more aspirational and public relations than established fact. I think there's some truth to that view, and some truth to the other side. But nobody I know, when hearing the word, will thnk first of any of the several overlapping political notions. Well, not at home; some who work in the financial industry might while they're at work.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic