cocoa puffs

twinkies

donuts

Cracker Jacks

candy corn

Wonka Bottlecaps

mcdonalds Fruit Pies

• CleverHunk steven cullum at 2006-03-20

the top answer for “vegetables” was carrot?

I cautiously correctly answered in the plural.

the subect was not"vegetable”

either way,who ever refers to having"carrot” for supper,and did you mom sent you to the store for"carrot” or"carrots”.

• Judy at 2006-03-21

Hunk is right!!! I used the plural on most all the VEGETABLES too.

I want a re-count…this is bogus!

LOL

I'm kidding, and in awe of how the top scorers can get into everybodies head and come up with the same wrong answers.

Congratulations, Ed!

• Marius Halsor at 2006-03-21

I saw in doubt between singular and plural, too. Eventually, I decided to go for singulars (except for “peas” and “beans”, which seemed pointless to have in singular). Even though the expression was “vegetables” and not “vegetable”, I decided that since we name ten vegetables anyway, singular was OK. And I believe that when there is a choice, singular should be used. This has even been discussed in the forum, so I reckoned that people who read the forum remembered that, and would prefer the singular to the plural form. Oh, and by the way: What's wrong with “aspargus”? I'm the only one who though of that (Had I only chosen “tomato” instead… *sigh*).

• Hjallti ★ at 2006-03-21

Why would pea and bean then need to be plural, you can perfectly have one bean or pea?????

• Ed Collins at 2006-03-21

I agree, I think we still have a problem with this game, regarding plurals. I gambled that the answers WOULDN'T be plural, and this time I guessed correctly. I know it's hard losing 50-50 guesses, since I've lost them before.

I thought LONG and HARD about choosing carrot instead of carrots. Some of my other answers like spinach, lettuce, corn, etc., already seem to be plural by default, (spinachs?) so I didn't have that problem with those.

Marius, I think you mean “asparagus.” 9 other people chose that vegetable.

• Marius Halsor at 2006-03-21

OK, misspelling cost me ten points - I better learn to spell :-)

As for “beans” and “peas”, it seemed natural with plural, as I always see/eat/buy several of them. Most people agree with this, it seems.

As for being a “50-50”-guess: No, it's not. Then approximately the same number of people would choose singular as plural. This time, singular was most logical, possibly (probably?) because this has been discussed in the forum earlier, with statements like “let's choose singular when in doubt”.

• Figilano at 2006-03-21

I agree with Marius: Since we need to name ten vegetables anyway, each single one may be singular. At least that thought crossed my mind, too.

Oh, and by the way, the german word for vegetables, “Gem?se”, doesn't even have a singular. There's no such thing as “one Gem?s”. ;-D

• Hjallti ★ at 2006-03-21

Still it seems to me 'there is a choice between singular and plural' in the cases of peas and beans….

Anyway, I guess it would be hard programming to get 'plural' and 'singular' being one expression… then people would ask for different right spellings to be equal (like 'color' and 'colour'), to end op to also take wrong spellings… (see for instance the 'Best topic so far' game… whatisinyourpocket… was there 5 times…)

• Bill Collins at 2006-03-21

You are not alone Judy and the Hunk, I put mostly plurals too. Seemed right, although I have used both before or the same answer done differently. I cleaned up on beatles and thebeatles, rollingstones and therollingstones, elvis and elvispresley, and the like.

• CleverHunk steven cullum at 2006-03-21

Hjallti..ya but when you you ever:

eat one pea

eat one bean

its like getting a"haircut”..do we ever really just get one cut ?

• Figilano at 2006-03-22

I know a game where beans are used to count the score. You can only gain one bean per round. In another mode of the game, you can offer one or more beans to get a building block…

Klick

You don't just eat them! ;)

• CleverHunk steven cullum at 2006-03-22

does this count as a vegetable?

http://thomashawk.com/hello/209/1017/1024/aligwall01.jpg

Return to forum

Reply to this topic