Names of Stars Game of Empathy

21 replies. Last post: 2006-03-24

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Names of Stars
  • Ed Collins at 2006-03-22

Well, since most of us probably aren't astronomers (are you?) and since we probably don't know the names of more than one or two stars (and some might not know any) I suppose we're all going to do the same thing… search online and simply find a list of them.

That's why I dislike these types of categories… little, if any, original thought is involved.

Ok, I'm done.

:)

Well, that was interesting. I think I learned more about stars in the past 30 minutes than I did throughout all of high school.

• Marie at 2006-03-22

but will the do names of stars or/and constellations? I know what the it says….

• Paavo Pirinen at 2006-03-22

Yeah. I really kind of like these types of categories because of a possibility to be stuck for hours on reading about something far too trivial to be of any help.

Ofcourse this kind of sucks too. Questions with 'your' also suck. Especially ones where 'your' is written in capitals. Makes me go completely goo-goo and get a lowest position I've ever had.

• BIG BAD WOLF at 2006-03-22

I don't like these types since al you do is search on line and copy answers (and if someone knows where others look, then they might be able to get an advantage) Since most star names have letters & numbers and such, it's just not a fun subject in my opinion.

Then now that I read this, some might be putting constellation & non-star names even though the empath says exactly what is wanted.

Just one of those that I cross my fingers and just hope for the best.

• CleverHunk steven cullum at 2006-03-22

I dont cheat wolfy..its such a hollow victory…havnt needed to yet..some of these subjects have been retarded..but none difficult

Marie, there are no wrong answers. In the recent category for the All Time Best Movie, at least ten answers were not the names of ANY movie. In the Most Unknown Country category we had several weeks ago, the United States and Canada received votes!

If you think enough people are going to name constellations, and not stars, then it might be wise for you to do so too.

Of course, if you DO name them, and few others do, you'll have no one to blame but yourself for not answering the category!

:)

Good luck to all. I consider this expression a crap shoot. Let's hope I don't roll snake eyes.

• Dustin at 2006-03-23

I think there is more room for thought in this category than you may realize. Even if you just google for a list of stars, which list do you use? The ten brightest stars (absolute magnitude)? The ten brightest as seen from earth? The ten brightest visible from the northern hemisphere ('cause that is where most of us are)? The ten closest stars? Stars with recognizeable names from mythology? Stars from easily identifiable constelations?

• Marie at 2006-03-23

Ed I wasn't saying that is what I was going to do. I was just saying that some of the category you don't know. Just wanted people to think about it. That I bet some will use stars and/or constellation. As to what I have seen so far.

Me, I always make it harder then it is but I will learn. I haven't played enought of them to a good guess as to what others think.

We will see.

• CleverHunk steven cullum at 2006-03-23

ed…re:

“If you think enough people are going to name constellations, and not stars, then it might be wise for you to do so too.”

…so we have to try to guess how stunned people are?

• Dustin at 2006-03-23

interesting results:

lots of non-stars (planets, constellations, gallaxies…)

castor was significantly higher than pollux

arcturus was much higher than spica

death star was cute

• BIG BAD WOLF at 2006-03-23

Ugh - can't believe so many people would put plants & “moon” when those are obviously not stars (like the sun), but O'well. (I should have followed my instinct and skiped this one, but I felt I needed to try - matched 5 answers, and 5 got nothing.)

Out of the last 7, I have 3 top 10 finishs, and 3 worse then 66th place. (and 1 40something place.)

Ugh… I'll just skip others like this next time.

• Judy at 2006-03-23

Wolf,

There is no shame in following the rule and keeping with the catagory regardless of where you finish. It would be a shame if you (and others) skipped the game because a number of people choose to get “cute” with their answers. We know how well you do at this and other games here on LG.

And considering the number of “real” stars, 5 out of five is not so bad.

• Dustin at 2006-03-23

I also think it is interesting that nobody put names for *types* of stars, such as red giant, white dwarf, and neutron star.

• Ed Collins at 2006-03-23

Argh. In the past five days I've ended up 24th, 29th, 25th, 1st, and 29th. My name will most definitely be dropping from the top ten 7-day list soon, probably as early as tomorrow.

If someone wants to “gamble” or get cute and list answers that don't truly fit the expression, I say let 'em! I figure it's gonna hurt them many more times than it will help 'em, especially if and when we get more players. I'd love to see 200+ play this game each day.

• BIG BAD WOLF at 2006-03-23

I just hope that we get to look at people's past entries - I would be interesting on who/how some of the people get the same answer when it has nothing to do with the topic. Yea, funny answers like “death star” is pretty good, but others just seem funny that so many people thought of the same planets and such.

• Paavo Pirinen at 2006-03-24

I'd guess many people follow the way of association - at least when things get difficult. Most people usually answer the question if given expression is a question (and thus it is usually a good thing to do for us quite tactical players also), but there is no rule stating that people should do so. The game says “10 expressions which are in association with given expression”. Although the expression is a question, I don't find it so odd people aswer 'moon' when question includes words 'stars' and 'sun' - the association is very strong.

And no, I wasn't smart enough to think about the moon.

• Judy at 2006-03-24

I wasn't smart enough to say 'sun'…

• CleverHunk steven cullum at 2006-03-24

names of stars (like the sun)

our sun was the 2nd best answer i ruked it out..how many others did?

• CleverHunk steven cullum at 2006-03-24

names of stars (like the sun)

our sun was the 2nd best answer i ruled it out..how many others did?

Return to forum

Reply to this topic