wyps rules? Word games

11 replies. Last post: 2013-05-20

Reply to this topic Return to forum

wyps rules?
  • richyfourtytwo at 2013-05-16

Sorry, possibly I'm a bit dumb. Where do I find the rules for WYPS Numeric small?

• Carroll at 2013-05-16

From what I remember:

- principle is the same than normal WYPS, (connecting three sides with a Y), but
    - you must play in ascending order (or equal)
    - if you don't have numbers left and have not connected you lose.
    - a plus sign indicates a threat you must defend.

• richyfourtytwo at 2013-05-16

Thank's, I'll give it try.

• MarleysGhost at 2013-05-16

If you play in a straight line, all included opponent pieces flip.

If your play is not straight, one opponent piece (if any included in the play) flips. (If after you make a non-straight move including two or more opponent pieces you want a different opponent piece to flip than the one LG has flipped, click on the opponent piece of your choice.)

• richyfourtytwo at 2013-05-20

Thank again. Still what's listed here isn't complete. Where are the normal WYPS rules?

I http://www.littlegolem.net/jsp/game/game.jsp?gid=1543447 why haven't I won after move 9?

Why can't move anymore now? (Or can I? Where?)

• Martyn Hamer at 2013-05-20

I don't want to discuss the current game too much (while it is ongoing), however to win a game you must connect all 3 sides of the board AND your opponent must be unable to break the connection on his following move. It's a bit like checking in Chess, it only wins if your opponent can't get out of the check.

I think you also lose if it is your move and you have no pieces left (can anyone else confirm this?). I have to admit that I struggled with the rules as well and have had to pick them up as I went along.

On move 9 you set up a connection, but your opponent broke this connection on move 10 (he was forced to) and has set up a connection of his own. You must either break this connection now (if you can) or resign the game.

• MarleysGhost at 2013-05-20

I don't think the topic of what happens if you run out of stones but your opponent has not connected all sides has arisen in previous discussions. The fact that it's your turn when you have no stones means you don't have all three sides connected either. If you Pass (which would only be possible if some kind of Pass button gets displayed when this happens), your opponent eventually connects all three sides. My guess is that you must resign (or time out) since you have no legal move.

Thanks guys, not sure if I'm there yet, but at least I'm much closer to understanding! :-)

• Martyn Hamer at 2013-05-20

Richy, now that your game is over I think you were lost anyway I'm afraid. You actually did have a legal move, playing 23456 at the bottom flips over 3 white tiles and breaks White's connection at the bottom. However he'd probably have played either the 1 or the 7 to flip the tiles back over.

When I started playing this game, I mostly lost, however it is a very nice game once you've got used to it. Stick with it, and I'm sure the wins will come.

MarleysGhost, I lost the following game a while ago when running out of tiles and no connection was made. I didn't resign (though it's clearly a loss for me), the game was just ended. I assumed this was a rule, though it seems odd not to make the other player make their connection to win the game. I prefer your pass suggestion, although this scenario does seem pretty rare.

http://www.littlegolem.net/jsp/game/game.jsp?gid=1485908

Thanks, I'm not worried at all about having lost this game. I played wyps a couple of times before, but it seems the rules have changed since. My next game I'll lose because of not understanding the strategy, which is a big step forward from losing because of not understanding the rules!

• MarleysGhost at 2013-05-20

@Martyn, I think it's better without my “pass suggestion”. Neither player has a 3-way connection when this happens. The player who would Pass has absolutely no chance to make a 3-way connection. The non-passing player can just blindly place his tiles in any empty cell, perhaps one per turn, and must inevitably complete a 3-way connection no matter what. So the game's outcome is fully determined with or without a Pass button. Passing would only postpone the inevitable.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic