New WYPS versions – old ones are phased out Word games

10 replies. Last post: 2016-10-27

Reply to this topic Return to forum

New WYPS versions – old ones are phased out
  • bloke at 2016-09-29

Here is my brief correspondence with Richard, concerning the recent changes in the board setup and the rules of our beloved WYPS game:
    "So, lets have a summary: we had three variants with board sizes of 7, 10, and 13 characters. Now these are replaced by four sizes, of 5, 8, 11, and 14 characters. (The smallest is too small and there is room for too much luck, the biggest is too big, hard to read the letters.) 
    Then, out of the three previous variants, only the size 10 board had a fixed position wild card, which could act as any character throughout the game. There were no wild cards in cases of the size 7 and 13 boards. Now, all four size variants will have two movable wild cards (one for each player), but once these are used, the letter cannot be changed.
    Moreover, this will apply for not only the infinite games but also the championships, right? So no old boards will be ever used. Is that correct?"
    To this, Richard responded: "Yes"

• mmKALLL ★ at 2016-09-29

Seems like an efficient way to handle correspondence to me. Personally, I think that there must be valid reasons for changing the boards; what those reasons may or may not be is, of course, beyond me.

• Richard Malaschitz ★ at 2016-10-03

There is suggestion to use “?” stone only for unused letters. There will be only one “?” stone in a bag. For example on size 14 there will be in bag 104 letters “EEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIOOOOOOORRRRRRRNNNNNNTTTTTTLLLLLDDDDUUUUBBBCCCGGGHHHMMMPPPFFKKYYVWZ” and letter “?” will be possible to use as one of letters "JQX"

On size 5 there will be 14 letters “EEACDGILNORSTU” and letter “?” will be possible to use as one of letters "BFHJKMPQVWXYZ"

etc...

• mmKALLL ★ at 2016-10-04

That is definitely a very interesting suggestion, but I’m afraid of whether it will put too much mental burden on the players. Outside of top players, how is one supposed to remember what possibilities the “?” piece will have? Sure, I could always check, but something easier to keep in mind might be better, especially when playing multiple board sizes.

Having the possibility to make any single letter out of the “?” piece is definitely easy to remember, and I’m not sure if there’s a downside to that. Making it an obscure letter might be in the player’s favor in many situations, anyway.

As before, I’m not qualified to say whether or not the overall change has a positive impact on the gameplay and strategic depth, but personally I like it so far.

• Richard Malaschitz ★ at 2016-10-11

Yes, it could be hard remember all possibilities. There is my suggestion: Letter “?” will be possible use only as UNUSED (not played on board)  letter. 

• mmKALLL ★ at 2016-10-20

I see that this was implemented, but the question remains: how does this make the game better?

• Richard Malaschitz ★ at 2016-10-23

How does this make the game better?:

1. Game is possible to play on smaller boards, where is not possible to use all letters from alphabet. Very important for languages where is a lot of letters in alphabet.
    2. Add strategy about use wild letters (on start of game, for some unusual letter, etc..)
    3. Better balance for wrong letters on start of game, for example 7 consonants. In WYPS is not possible add Scrabble rule about exchange all letters – skip move in WYPS could be a big disadvantage

• mmKALLL ★ at 2016-10-24

Well yeah, but those are all covered to some extent by the regular any-character wild card. Of course, this change might have a bit more strategy in it, but that does not necessarily mean that the game has more depth. In my personal and humble opinion, especially some less played variants can suffer a bit due to the much higher mental burden on the players as compared to the previous any-letter wild card piece.

• Richard Malaschitz ★ at 2016-10-27

I want rules for WYPS where is possible play with every language and on every size of board. I want number of stones the same as size of board. But there is problem with unusual letters, especially on smaller boards and with languages where is a lot of letters in alphabet. This is reason why I add wild stones to WYPS. But maybe it is not good idea.
    There are possibilities for use wild stones in WYPS:
    1. No Wild Stones
    + Very simple rules- Set of available words is smaller than with wild stones. For example I have 15 letters EEACDGILNOPRSTU. I am able create only 4409 words from 20007 words with length 5 or less. With 13 letters EEACDILNORSTU and one wild stone I am able create 11124 words. With two wild stones 17980 words.
    2. Wild stone: all letters
    + Simple rules- Game is changed. Wild stones are not used for create unusual words, but are keep as last stone in a game. Whole game is often played without one stone in rack.
    3. Wild stone: unused letters in game - for example if in game are letters EEACDILNORSTU wild stone could be used for letters BFGHJKMPQVWXYZ
    + Better than variant 2- Every size has different set of letters for wild stone. Is not possible on large board for languages where is not a lot of letters often used (Italian).
    4. Wild stone: unused letters on board
    + Better than variant 2 and 3+ Add more strategy- Maybe too complex rule

• mmKALLL ★ at 2016-10-27

I see, when you put it like that it definitely makes much more sense. Thanks for breaking it down!

Return to forum

Reply to this topic

Include game board: [game;id:123456] or [game;id:123456;move:20] or [game;id:123456;move:20;title:some text]