Six is pretty darn strong on a fast machine Hex, Havannah

15 replies. Last post: 2008-02-20

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Six is pretty darn strong on a fast machine
  • David J Bush ★ at 2007-11-19

I played a few games against Six on a 64 bit dual core machine. I won most of them, but Six did snag a few wins, even on larger grids. It seems to play almost perfectly on 8x8 and smaller. Here is a 12x12 victory over me. I hope this link works!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

By twixter

The S on H2 means I played that move as black's first move, and Six swapped sides. So, both move 1 and move 2 are there. I then continued as white with move 3 at H9. Six made some decent moves to win. I could email the .six file to anyone who has Six.

BTW I don't use Six to help me in any of my ongoing games.

• Ruben Berenguel at 2007-11-19

At home I have Windows (and no internet in Kubuntu…) and in the office, Gnome, so I can't try Six, a shame.

• ypercube at 2007-11-19

no Internet with Kubuntu (or any other Linux variant)?

That's a shame really …

• Ruben Berenguel at 2007-11-19

no Internet with Linux, as at home I have a modem connection, and is a winmodem. Some day I'll get DSL, but lately I'm only about 3 or 4 hours at home (from 19 to 23 or so) and I would'nt get a lot of DSL anyway (at the office it's about T1 or something like that, really high institutional bandwidth). I could download it from Windows and port it to my kubuntu partition, but its almost useless doing so..

• javerberg at 2007-12-23

Unfortunately six isn't very easy to install, not even if you use Linux. Tried in vain to install it under kde 4.0. I have been considering to use make a windows version (using the six source code), but I would take me at least 40 h so I don’t see it happen any time soon.

If some Linux guru could create a live-cd with six, I would be really grateful. Please!?! Anyone? :-)

• MarleysGhost at 2007-12-23

I would probably try to run it if it weren't so closely integrated with its GUI (That's the kde, right?). If someone's going to fiddle with the source, try making the engine separate.

• javerberg at 2007-12-23

I too get the feeling it's closely integrated with KDE, but I didn't really check the code. My idea was to translate the engine to c#, and build a new gui.

• David J Bush ★ at 2007-12-23

I also had some difficulty installing Six, so I contacted Gábor Melis, its author. He advised me to use an earlier version of autoconf, 2.53 instead of 2.60, and when I did that, it compiled just fine. But I use KDE so you might have a different problem. Maybe he could help you if you explain the problem in detail.

• javerberg at 2007-12-24

Still no success for me. :( Everything but the toolbar works, so I can play but not change strength or bord size…

• javerberg at 2007-12-24

One other thing: Another purpose to translate six to c# or java would be to add more features. With an analyse mode I belive six would be able to solve hex up to 7x7.

• ab at 2007-12-24

@javerberg:

Everything but the toolbar works, so I can play but not change

strength or bord size…

try: ./configure –prefix=/opt/kde3

(or similar)

• ab at 2007-12-24

I agree, a good project would be separate the engine from the GUI - and then get the engine working on windows!!

(this is however not as simple as it sounds: everything is one single thread, and the thinking is interrupted at different points - i wasn't able to exactly figure out how this works …)

• javerberg at 2007-12-25

Ab, thanks for the suggestion.

Im not that happy about working in c (havn't used it for years), so I would not dare to mix around to much in the c code. But if I would translate it to c#/java I don't see any reason to keep the one thread design. However, it's quite some work (at least it would be for me). Maybe I give it a try after my vaccation (leave for 2 weeks tonight), unless someone else is up for the task.

• ab at 2008-01-04

Hi again,

i have a working version of just the engine on windows (command line), it just plays one game against itself and then exits.

\* Does somebody want to help with the gui? *

I'm planning to use GoGui, which is in java. Somebody should send me the board drawing code in java (+ mouse coordinate translation), i could (probably) then do the rest. Before you start, i send you the code where it must fit in. If you're interested, send me a PM with your email address.

• Iain at 2008-02-20

For those having compilation problems, try using the RPM or DEB binaries at the Six website.

http://six.retes.hu/download/

Return to forum

Reply to this topic