Non-standard Ladder Escape Hex, Havannah

5 replies. Last post: 2015-09-24

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Non-standard Ladder Escape
  • scrampy at 2015-09-20

After contributing my first “original content” to the new HexWiki, I wonder if there is already a term for what I posted on http://hexwiki.amecy.com/index.php/Ladder_escape below the text “However, it is not necessary to have an escape piece on the projected path of the ladder in order to escape it.” .  These positions came up in a game between MoHex and I.  Perhaps there is nothing to learn here, or perhaps there is a general case that can be explained, rather than using the position that I ran into.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

• Loony at 2015-09-20

Nice that you contribute to Hex wiki.

I don't think there is a special term for it. Thinking about it, I would have called it “ladder escape” simply, because that's what it is essentially.

So I'd suggest to distinguish between a ladder escape and a ladder escape piece.

Of  course there are some positions where a ladder can indeed just escape, but often enough it's not directly possible, then everything depends on the overall board position, like shown in your examples.

Shouldn't Tom's move be linked on that page in a way?

• Art Duval at 2015-09-23

I agree with Loony that this is essentially “Tom's move”.  But I like the connection between this move and ladder escapes.

• Tom Ace at 2015-09-24

Art Duval:  if I'm understanding the last diagram on the page (under “Second Row Example”) correctly, the asterisks at g8 and f10 are listed as potential spots for red move #9 after some blue move #8.  But a blue g9 would occupy a point relied on by both asterisk-marked options.  Might it be better to put asterisks on h8 and f10 instead, as their respective bridges don't depend on any common locations?

• scrampy at 2015-09-24

Tom Ace: Thanks for taking a look - I posted what my limited skills were able to analyze.  I moved the * form g8 to h8.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic