Someone interested in a physical 13x13 hex board? Hex, Havannah

13 replies. Last post: 2016-12-15

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Someone interested in a physical 13x13 hex board?
  • lazyplayer at 2016-12-03

I have one like this: http://www.mattesmedjan.se/images/banners/hex_delux.jpg

It’s no longer from sale from there, i sell mine at 120 eur + shipping costs

Here are the shipping costs: https://www.poste.it/risorse/postali/pdf/POE_listino.pdf

(look up your zone and then look at the 3kg column)

• Arek Kulczycki at 2016-12-04

don’t you quit hex just yet! :)

• Bill LeBoeuf ★ at 2016-12-09

Lazy, good luck in your 19x game with Maciej :)

• lazyplayer at 2016-12-13

Bill, I’ll probably lose but i can tell you i didn’t do much effort there. Mainly i experimented a few ideas that I had:

1) One idea was that one must play closer to edges in larger boards, this idea is probably right but applied wrong there.

2) Another idea was to try to disrupt Maciej’s center, and this idea also may have some merit but it is also applied wrong there.

I’ll try to commend more when game has ended...

• lazyplayer at 2016-12-13

Bill, why don’t you come into infinity hex tournements? Also some question for other reasonable hex players...

I hope it is a new game started every few days, and it should not be too taxing...

• Bill LeBoeuf ★ at 2016-12-14

thanks for your comments on your game with Maciej

I will look forward to further comments when its finished :)

Thanks for your inviation to play Hex :) ... I would love to but I am working at 3 jobs currently (really about 7 jobs), so I made a committment to only follow but not play Hex until my Time frees up :)

Bill

• Harald Korneliussen at 2016-12-14

A Mattesmedjan deluxe board, I have one of those already :) They were actually handmade by Jonatan Rydh, who used to play here. I went over there one summer to buy it, met his parents who run Mattesmedjan, they were very nice!

They told me though, that someone on the net had ordered some huge custom boards (19x19 and 27x27 I think), then not paid for them and disappeared off the face of the earth. They showed me those boards. Unfortunately I couldn’t afford to buy them myself. For all I know they have them still!

• lazyplayer at 2016-12-14

Harald, thanks for reporting :) The board is not too bad and i may keep it after all :)

The thing is that, because it is made of real wood, it has “distracting” colors and patterns, and it is not just colored in perfectly uniform manner like virtual boards in a monitor. Maybe a more uniform type of wood would have helped at this. But except for this minor problem, it’s perfect, as long a one is interested in hex that is! :)

About infinity tournements, i’ve removed myself, i just don’t have patience to play on this website, i think...

• lazyplayer at 2016-12-14

http://www.mattesmedjan.se/produkter/hexbraden.php <- They have “cheap” 8x8, 10x10, and 13x13, and a “premium” 26x26...

They should focus on standard sizes, 13x13, and 19x19, at least for now... until a website with 100x100 comes up... i’m in fact planning this, hah

• Arek Kulczycki at 2016-12-14

Wooden board handmade by me!

In contrary to lazyplayer’s complaint, I think it is not distracting and it even has hollows in cells so that stones don’t move.

Not for sale! ;)

• Ed Collins at 2016-12-14

Very, very nice.

How long did it take you to make that, and how difficult was it?  I suspect you could make dozens of them, and have no problems at all selling them.

• Arek Kulczycki at 2016-12-15

I used only basic tools and a waste piece of wood. This is totally amatour work.

Longest it took me to draw it, but also drilling the hollows was a nuisance. I did everything in a couple of days.

Most difficult was to attain enough precision in drawing so that all cells have regular shape. I did my best and still there are a lot of imperfections.

Problem with selling them is that there is no demand ;)

• Ed Collins at 2016-12-15

I suspect you can sell several of them, right here on Little Golem.

I will be your first customer.  I think you did a great job.  From what I can see, the little perfections are too minor to bother anyone.  In fact, the perfections actually help to show that it was hand made (not factory made), which to many is part of the charm.

Alas, I’m here in Southern California so I suspect shipping charges might be prohibitive.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic

Include game board: [game;id:123456] or [game;id:123456;move:20] or [game;id:123456;move:20;title:some text]