Hex software: Benzene with Mohex and Wolve, also Six, Hexy, anything else: is anyone maintaining anything? Hex, Havannah

8 replies. Last post: 2017-03-26

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Hex software: Benzene with Mohex and Wolve, also Six, Hexy, anything else: is anyone maintaining anything?
  • David J Bush ★ at 2016-12-17

There are quite a few engines to practice against, but it seems none of them are maintained any more.

There are several older threads about one of these engines or another. I hope to revive this general topic and am asking for any up to date info on what method still works.

My OS is Linux Mint 18 using Mate 1.14.1 and I am particularly interested in MoHex, but any info that might help someone else get a working computer opponent is welcome.

Thanks very much!

• Arek Kulczycki at 2016-12-17

David, I don’t know about any. By the way, is any of this valid for windows? I’d like something to analyse the endings. Not for LG games, because that’s obviously cheating. Also I wouldn’t trust computer more than my assessment.

With lazyplayer we tried to improve our general knowledge by playing on 15x15, however we reach endgames that we cannot agree who has advantage... even after 1-2 hours of trying different variations.

Another thing is that probably the exsiting software cannot solve much either in a reasonable time. (say, 15x15 with 40 stones on the board)

• David J Bush ★ at 2017-03-26

I got a request from Przemyslaw to relay his question about building Mohex. Apparently, Benzene is now so far out of date that the revision number of the software it needs is no longer archived anywhere.

"Hey, thanks for reply but I don’t have valid account there. Here is my error:http://pastebin.com/RfrN0sZS

My steps:
    1) autoreconf -i 
    2) ./configure --with-boost-libdir=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu --with-fuego-root=/root/Desktop/benzene-0.9.0/fuego/ --enable-upto13x13=yes4) add -pthread and -lpthread to BOOST_THREAD_LIB in config status3) make

• EJCT at 2017-03-26

Try this:

In file src/Hex/BoardUtil.hpp Line 53:

change

HexPoint RandomEmptyCell(const StoneBoard& brd);

to

HexPoint RandomEmptyCell(const StoneBoard& brd, SgRandom& random);

In file src/Hex/BoardUtil.cpp Line 107:

change

HexPoint BoardUtil::RandomEmptyCell(const StoneBoard& brd, SgRandom& random)

{

bitset_t moves = brd.GetEmpty() & brd.Const().GetCells();

int count = static_cast<int>(moves.count());

if (count == 0) 

return INVALID_POINT;

int randMove = SgRandom::Global().Int(count) + 1;

for (BitsetIterator p(moves); p; ++p) 

if (--randMove==0) return *p;

BenzeneAssert(false);

return INVALID_POINT;

}

to

HexPoint BoardUtil::RandomEmptyCell(const StoneBoard& brd, SgRandom& random)

{

bitset_t moves = brd.GetEmpty() & brd.Const().GetCells();

int count = static_cast<int>(moves.count());

if (count == 0) 

return INVALID_POINT;

int randMove = random.Int(count) + 1;

for (BitsetIterator p(moves); p; ++p) 

if (--randMove==0) return *p;

BenzeneAssert(false);

return INVALID_POINT;

}

• lazyplayer at 2017-03-26

If you find how to make it work, then please contribute the instructions here: http://hexwiki.amecy.com/index.php/Computer_Hex

• EJCT at 2017-03-26

I am going to take part of MoHex code improve it and release as new software for Windows. MoHex is very weak in openings and I believe that it is possible to improve it.

• lazyplayer at 2017-03-26

Critical, will you release your as open source or not?

• EJCT at 2017-03-26

Open source:)

Return to forum

Reply to this topic

Include game board: [game;id:123456] or [game;id:123456;move:20] or [game;id:123456;move:20;title:some text]