Second Hex Tournament Hex, Havannah

22 replies. Last post: 2019-02-20

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Second Hex Tournament
  • struggler at 2019-02-01

Hi all!

On upcoming Sunday on hexy.games there is going to take place another hex tournament. The format will be the same as previously, ie. round robin. However, I'd like to propose a bit non-standard board size of 14 or 15, but this will be discussed and voted upon between tournament attendees, before the event (and in case of not reaching an agreement, we'll stay with 13).

Everyone is welcome, see you! :)

PS How the heck do you insert clickable links in this forum?!

• HappyHippo at 2019-02-01

The rightmost button inserts links. It looks like a short chain.

• Force majeure at 2019-02-01

Count me in! I must defend such a prestigious title!

@HappyHippo - !!! thanks! Let me try: hexy.games

@Force majeure - cool, I hope that this time it won't be so easy!

• David J Bush ★ at 2019-02-01

Do you allow time increment per move yet?

David, I've got it on my to-do list, but unfortunately had no time to implement it yet. Anyway, for a tournament like this I think we can agree on a more liberal time setting so that you (or anyone) wouldn't be afraid of running out of time. What do you think?

• Force majeure at 2019-02-01

What is liberal time setting?

Well, last time we played size 13 with 6 minutes time setting and it was quick but OK (I believe - there was no complaints and only one timeout as far as I remember - which it was mine, actually). So if there is a player who would like to have a little bit more time, I think it shouldn't be a problem to prolong this by a minute or two.

• Force majeure at 2019-02-02

Ok I was afraid that liberal = 15-20 minutes :D

• David J Bush ★ at 2019-02-02

So, size 13 and either 7 or 8 minutes per player per game with zero increment? No thank you.

• lazyplayer ★ at 2019-02-02

struggler, the level of hex play is already so low, if you add rapid timer on top of that, we go even lower! :D

• lazyplayer ★ at 2019-02-02

Anyway, some people have fun at it. I mostly don't have fun at losing in this way. And I know I'll lose because I'm bad at time management.

• ypercube at 2019-02-02

I am not sure if I can play tomorrow but I'd prefer 10-12 minutes for 13x13. The 6 min last time was rather low for me.

• struggler at 2019-02-02

David (and others), this time setting was my proposition based on a few players' remarks, I'm definitely not into enforcing anything but rather I'm open to talk and reach a consensus. And it seemed to me that a tournament format like that may be more appealing to people as it is not such a big (time) commitment. By the way, don't you play on playok where they also lack time increment?

• ypercube at 2019-02-06

So, what happened? Any news on the tournament? Results?

• struggler at 2019-02-06

Yes, the tournament took place, however the frequency was very low - only four players + one of them had to withdraw because of connection problems… Anyway, the winner was daniel (Daniel Sepczuk) who (“unexpectedly”) was unbeaten ;) The nice thing is that we reached a consensus to play size 14 and additionally the double round robin format which was pretty fun.

• tlax38 at 2019-02-07

You can count me in for the next tournament.

• struggler at 2019-02-07

Nice to hear that, tlax :)

I plan the next tournament in the month or so. Until then I'd like to improve the website a little bit.

• urmaul at 2019-02-15

I hope Fischer time settings will be implemented, and that it will attract lots of players, so the third tournament will be even larger the second.

Maybe we can have both fast and slow tournaments? I would participate in both. I think It's a bit sad when the already small number of potential players is divided by time settings.

• struggler at 2019-02-20

Urmaul, I also find it sad that such things divide people here. For me slow and fast tournaments are equally ok, however, as for now I don't think organizing them separately would make sense as there so few players attending any tournaments and my site generally lacks any attention.

• HappyHippo at 2019-02-20

Yeah I would say stick to one time setting, but do try to implement Fischer time controls.

I will try to make it to the next tournament, unfortunately I couldn't make the last one as you scheduled it on the same day as the Super Bowl ;)

Return to forum

Reply to this topic