Another BGA tournament: before MSO practice tournament Hex, Havannah

7 replies. Last post: 2020-06-23

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Another BGA tournament: before MSO practice tournament
  • David J Bush ★ at 2020-06-18

This one is scheduled for Sunday the 28th of June at 3:30 pm New York time, which should be 7:30 pm London time, unless their time changes on the solstice.

14x14, 22.5 minutes per player per game with no increment, maximum attendance 32, 5 round Swiss system. If you overstep your time control, your time goes negative and the opponent sees a link to kick you out. Apparently, if that link is not clicked, the overstepper will just get deeper into negative time. Once the link is clicked and then confirmed, the overstepper gets 20 more seconds to move.

This is intended as a rehearsal for the MSO event in August which will have the same time controls.

So this is fast for a 14x14 game but the MSO apparently needs to finish in 4 hours so let's get used to it.

I hope lots of strong players can attend!

• ypercube at 2020-06-18

New York and London have 5 hours difference if I remember well.

• ypercube at 2020-06-18

New York 3:30 pm = 15:30

=

UTC 19:30

=

London 8:30 pm = 20:30

• Arek Kulczycki at 2020-06-18

Then

Central Europe = 21:30

I will do my best to participate

• kspttw at 2020-06-18

Can we start ealier?

• David J Bush ★ at 2020-06-18

Okay I checked a time zone converter and you are correct yper, there is a 5 hour difference between London and New York for the 28th of June.

So I reset the time to 2:30 pm NY time which is 7:30 London time.

That is the same as the start time of the real MSO event on August 30, so I don't want to go earlier than that.

\\\_____________________________________________________________________________

I should add that I could do another tourney with a slower time control, which is completely separate from anything to do with the MSO.

The slowest real time control for a tournament is 1 hr per player per game. If no more than 16 players play then we could finish in 8 hours.

Maybe we could do this some time in July at whatever date and time the most people seem to be okay with.

• David J Bush ★ at 2020-06-23

I recommend participants to play at least a few rated games, before the tournament. If the number of participants is odd, someone will get an involuntary bye each round. In the first round, that someone is whoever has the lowest rating by the BGA rating system.

There are 5 signed up so far (Tuesday.) The tournament occurs on Sunday.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic