Trouble with Alan's game server site? TWIXT PP

10 replies. Last post: 2011-07-23

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Trouble with Alan's game server site?
  • elroy at 2011-05-11

Is anyone else unable to get to Alan Hansel's TwixT analysis tool? I am panicking. Championship 28 finally started (now that the scintillating game for 5th and 6th place in the lowest league has been decided) and I find myself, yet again, outgunned(out-brained?) in league 1.1 and I can't reach his server. I can't do it anymore without the crutch. I'm freaking out here is it just me or is anybody else having trouble? I suppose I can go back to what I used to do when I had trouble visualizing a game and actually get out my 3M set or I could pull up the old drawing of a board I made in AutoCAD, that actually worked pretty well…I'm dieing here, help me out Alan!

• Ed Collins at 2011-05-11

Elroy: Your post made me laugh out loud.

I've decided I'm going to be rooting for you in this Championship. Good luck!

• Alan Hensel at 2011-05-11

Oh shit. I was using a free account on DynDNS. They send me an account activity check email every month. This month, Google decided to helpfully route it to my SPAM folder. Gee, thanks! Now there is a new problem. I have recreated my deleted account, but the servegame.org domain seems to no longer be an option (?!)

In the meantime,

http://24.40.140.71/

(… though that will change sometimes, so I'll have to keep you posted until I work through the DynDNS problems. Argh!)

• Alan Hensel at 2011-05-11

Nope, no luck. They want to up-sell me. “servegame.org” is now a for-pay-only domain.

Therefore, going back to the free choices, I have settled on

http://twixt-commentator.dyndns.org/

(however much I currently hate that it advertises them.)

Please update your bookmarks and links. This change is permanent.

• elroy at 2011-05-12

Thank You Alan! (and my apologies for misspelling your last name)

@Ed Collins Thank you also for your support. I will warn you that your support is misguided. Just wait until you see RoRoRo's stats, it will show that I have a 0.00000000002% chance of winning (or something like that). I don't have a good record in the 1.1 league, not good at all. Gang-busters getting there mind you.

• David J Bush ★ at 2011-05-12

Thank you Alan for your quick response. BTW Alan also wrote a Ruby program which can download the LG sgf file onto your computer, in Jtwixt format. It's more work initially than using his website, but Jtwixt has some analysis features which the website lacks. So this might be a backup plan if a problem crops up in the future.

• iwin at 2011-07-06

Holy sheep-dip batman..I only recently discovered the twixt analysis tool and enjoyed using it to dissect the games of other players. Now I guess you all use it like an artificial lung…so much for twixt “PP” :-) Anyway, I've now used it for a couple of my games only to realize it's just a bit of a tool that does not replace tactics or judgment. However…if you guys have a mind reader for the opponents next move…that would be something!

• iwin at 2011-07-22

I am now connected to the artifical lung….

• Alan Hensel at 2011-07-23

Down now due to power outage, sorry…

Don't get too dependent on it… breathe, breathe!

• elroy at 2011-07-23

I'm freakin' out again man!

Return to forum

Reply to this topic