A loss to the Twixt community TWIXT PP

29 replies. Last post: 2011-07-30

Reply to this topic Return to forum

A loss to the Twixt community
  • Marius Halsor at 2011-06-06

A few days ago the message from CSM in our Twixt game started the following way:

“Hi. I'm CSM's wife. I'm now his Widow. He passed away on May 5,2011. He enjoyed playing twixt. His placement and his points were very important to him.”

And so, a geat Twixt player is no longer among us. My condolances to his family, and thank you for letting us know. May he keep playing forever in heaven.

• KPT at 2011-06-06

wow, what a sad new.

my condolances too.

• Aaron Coombs at 2011-06-06

Sad to hear about the loss. Thank you for letting us know

• Alan Hensel at 2011-06-06

What! That is very sad news. I had coached him a little in Twixt, about a year ago, and was glad to see him reach the Top 10 this weekend (albeit at #10).

• elroy at 2011-06-06

I am very saddened. I probably chatted with CSM more than I do with anybody else during games and while our viewpoints were very different I always enjoyed his humor, reasonable tone and perspective. I will miss him here on LG. My condolences to his wife and family.

• David at 2011-06-06

i was also playing many games and chatting a lot with Chuck (CSM). i was shocked to learn the sad news from his wife a couple of days ago. he really seemed to have a great sense of humour, and we had sort of a personal twixt rivalry going on lately, having had roughly the same number of ranking points. and only 53, that's no age for something terrible like this to happen.

• somar96 at 2011-06-06

Rest in Peace CSM

• maraca at 2011-06-06

My condoleances too. He was always friendly and we had some discussions too, it was interesting to see the view on TwixT from a good player not working in the field of mathematics or computer science (they seem to be the minority).

• David J Bush ★ at 2011-06-06

He beat me in our last game and now I don't get a rematch :-) I hope he rests in peace, unless there is something better available.

• MRFvR at 2011-06-06

I'm not a Twixt player, I propose that next LG Monthly Cup is named CSM Memorial (as it was done in chess MC years ago).

• Thierry Pertuy at 2011-06-06

Very sad news. Will remember you, CSM. Thanks for the sympathic advices. My condoleances.

• Ed Collins at 2011-06-06

I haven't played a game of Twixt in a long time, but if then next Monthly Cup is named the CSM Memorial, I will play in that one.

It's always very sad when I hear of a death of someone I knew from online.

Rest in peace.

• KPT at 2011-06-06

Yes, Monthly cup. Or UT once time at year.

is the least of we can do it for a passed away LG member.

• David at 2011-06-06

i agree with the idea of a memorial tournament. maybe kpato's idea of a user tournament is even more appropriate, since many people would want to join, i'd imagine.

• KPT at 2011-06-06

maybe the date of CSM birthday, would be a good time to start de first memorial.

What do u think about it?

• David at 2011-06-06

also, another thing. i've been contacted by CSM's wife, asking me, if there's any way to preserve his rankings as they were, as she believes (and so do I, knowing him somewhat) that it would have meant a lot to him.

i'm not sure what's the correct way to proceed towards this, or even who to ask (Richard?), but CSM's bound to lose a lot of points from his open games. i know his wife has been sending draw offers from his account to the opponents, but even draws will cost him a lot of points, and while many draws have been accepted, there are a couple of players that do not want to (or, perhaps don't understand what has happened), so they have declined the draws and want to play on and win (even from a losing position).

any suggestions would be welcome.

• KPT at 2011-06-06

i think Richard would want to help.

• David at 2011-06-06

do you know how to contact Richard?

A user tournament is a good idea.

No need to wait, let's set it up right away. I think it should start as soon as possible. (His birthday might have just recently passed, or be many months from now.)

His ranking will always be preserved with the rating chart. Looking at his Twixt graph, I can clearly see he's been at or above 2150, since January.

• Klaus Hußmanns at 2011-06-06

Very sad to read this! He beat me last year! My condolances!

• KPT at 2011-06-06

Photobucket

The CSM memorial championship, was created.

Thanks kpato. I'm in. And if you change the format to “rated” that would be okay with me. (“Rated” games are more fun to me than unrated games.)

• KPT at 2011-06-06

no problem.

What thinks the other players?

please comment about rated or unrated.

• Aaron Coombs at 2011-06-06

I'm OK with rated

• David at 2011-06-07

rated is more fun, i agree.

• Loïc Boisnier at 2011-06-22

i'm ok too with rated games

• pete99 at 2011-07-29

Re: the question above – do you know how to contact Richard?

Ans: send a message to the webmaster link at the bottom of each LG page.

• pete99 at 2011-07-29

Regarding the question of preserving ratings, it is important that either CSM's wife or Richard should be sure that CSM is un-registered for the Championship tournament list.

• ypercube at 2011-07-30

kpato, can you add a link to CSM's profile or to his rating chart in the tournament page?

Return to forum

Reply to this topic