Mind Sports Olympiad, 2012, Twixt event TWIXT PP

10 replies. Last post: 2012-08-23

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Mind Sports Olympiad, 2012, Twixt event
  • alain at 2012-06-27

The annual Mind Sports Olympiad is coming up at the end of August. Full details are available here at http://www.boardability.com/.

There is an Twixt event on Mon 20 August.

Hope this is of interest.
    Alain

• Florian Jamain at 2012-08-11

I will be there, hope to see you guys (:

• alain at 2012-08-13

Great, hope you have a good time and good luck. The arbiter for event is David Kotin from Belarus (though he now lives in the Czech Republic).

• Florian Jamain at 2012-08-13

The thing is that the time for each player is 20min.. I never really made a game of Twixt in these settings.. But we will see, it will be funny (:

Is it 20min KO or 20min+30s/move ?

• alain at 2012-08-14

My understanding is that it is 20 min per player ie. 40 minutes per game. I will try to clarify and post here sometime today or tomorrow. Given that it takes time to place a TwixT piece and add / remove bridges, there really should be a small increment, even if its only 5s.

• alain at 2012-08-14

OK, I've checked and its looks like the tournament will be 5 rounds with 20 minutes per player. You will need to manage your time carefully because you will need a few minutes of game time to actually make the physical moves. Speak with the arbiter before the tournament starts about how the tournament will work when a player is winning but is running out time to make the physical moves.

• David J Bush ★ at 2012-08-14

My experience with MSO Twixt tournaments is, the number of rounds and the time control is decided at the start of the tournament, based on when they actually start and how many players are there. I recall one TD, reportedly no longer with the MSO, who preferred a leisurely lunch, and left players with only 15 minutes per player per game. Many of the clocks were analog and mechanical, so there was no increment or delay option. My 2006 game against Klaus in the last round turned into a hectic contest of dexterity in the final moves. When I returned in 2009, the organization was not much better. They decided to hold some sort of meeting at the time the Twixt tournament was supposed to start, and the first round was delayed about 15 minutes.

• alain at 2012-08-14

David is certainly right about that 2006 game with Klaus - I remember the dramatic time scramble well. The arbiters are (overwhelmingly) volunteers and generally do their best. While I cannot promise flawless organisation I can assure David (and anyone else reading this) that issues such as the one David raised are recognised. A lot of time and effort has gone into last years' and this years' MSO to ensure the tournament rules are decided beforehand (and not subject to random alteration on the day - though there is some flexibility required depending on the number of entrants), tournaments now start strictly on time and interruptions are avoided. The venue is also much improved over the 2006 venue, BTW.

I just written to the organisers querying the issue of an incremement / what happens if a plyer has a winning position but is about to run out of time. If I hear anything, I'll post here.

Good luck to everyone who participates this year!

• Tasmanian Devil at 2012-08-23

Congratulations to Florian for the gold medal! I advanced one place from 2003. ;-)

• Florian Jamain at 2012-08-23

Thank you Jan !

Our game was so closed.. I was lucky.
    I hope I will be here next year to defend the title and :-)

Return to forum

Reply to this topic