Twixt etiquette TWIXT PP

15 replies. Last post: 2014-01-07

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Twixt etiquette
  • Quadvark at 2013-10-04

Is there such a thing when it comes to taking advantage of a move? In my recent game 1576870 my opponent made, and I believe by mistake, move 45.p10 when I imagine 45.g12 would have been more in line with the game. By virtue of what I had built I was able to close it out in the next two moves but I did not feel good about the win due to his 45.p10 placement. That said, p10 could not have been removed so to make a bad move on my part next move I believe would have left me at a severe disadvantage so I chose my next move accordingly. BTW, 45.p10 would of been a terrible play if the game would of been played out if 45.g12 was taken (45.g12 46.k9 47.p10 48.p8). It was a spirited game up to that point but I can imagine the disappointment my opponent felt when the mistake was made as I have made bad moves myself that could have helped me but they were never as obvious as this was. What is the LG etiquette in a situation like this? Or does my empathy level need to be disengaged and it was played out like it should have been?

• spd_iv at 2013-10-04

this game is very strange to me, for example white could have played something like 33.t15 34.t18 35.n19 36.m21 37.l20,

if white had played 45.g12 it would have been something like that (I think) 45.g12 46.k7 47.n9 48.o7 49.o6 50.n5 51.p8 52.p6 53.t7 54.q8 55.s9 56.p10 57.t15 58.t18 59.o13 60.o12 61.n11 62.s13 63.u12, seems like a draw but i may be wrong :)

• Quadvark at 2013-10-04

I guess what meant to say is that I doubt 47.p10 would have been taken if the proceeding moves had been made… 45.g12 46.k9. In any event I was unsure how to handle his move 45.p10 other than to take my advantage at 46.f12. thank you for the input.

• Yibyab at 2013-10-05

I think it's okay to go for the jugular. I can understand feeling bad if it blows open an otherwise challenging and competitive game, but them's the breaks.

Just my opinion. If you play me and I blow a move, I won't expect nor ask for mercy.

• David J Bush ★ at 2013-10-05

Especially in Twixt, where often any sub-optimal move would be completely losing. It could also be argued that deliberately weak moves introduce noise into the rating system. So, think of your children, think of your country, and crush your opponent like a bug in a bug bowl.

• na_wspak at 2013-10-05

@Quadvark: If you like to risk, just risk and enjoy. If, in additnion, you get a feeling of maknig a competition even and you're a “fair gamer” - better for you. Feed the karma.

• elroy at 2013-10-19

A mistake is a mistake in Twixt. At high levels of play small mistakes are often the key to winning and losing. This is why I often get my butt handed to me in high level games and I have no problem owning the mistakes. It is a game,we are having fun here, we can say “whoops”, play again and maybe make fewer mistakes next time. Neither you nor your opponent gets better if your response to a mistake is another mistake. That would make no sense. @David J. Bush: What exactly is a bug bowl? Do you keep one of these items available to you whenever you feel the need to crush a bug?

• Hjallti ★ at 2013-10-20

[game;id:1576870;move:45]

• Hjallti ★ at 2013-10-20

without knowing much about TwixT I thing that this kind of 'mistake' discussions appear everywhere.

I mean, when 'most' accept a certain move, play as common sense, not playing that move is a mistake like you describe. But the question is then who are those 'most'. Apparently you seem to answer that question as 'it is a mistake since it is not in line with the rest of the game', but even so your opponent played it and send the move through the system.

I think you should take full advantage take the win and if it doesn't satisfy you, as you feel you won to easily, then you might have been over estimating the opponent. But it is a win.

• FatPhil at 2013-10-20

There is one mistake that I think generally isn't pounced on, and that's the failure to take free boxes in D&B. This typically happens because the opponent has thought about more than one post-box-taking move, and used “cancel move”. The box-taking is so obvious that it doesn't get thought about, and consequently sometimes doesn't get done.

• David J Bush ★ at 2013-10-20

Doesn't everybody?

“Bugs in a bowl”:http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/index.php?date=2001/04/02

They give an omelet an extra crispy crunch.

• elroy at 2013-10-21

Okay, nice literary reference within a literary reference there David. It is hard not to like a poem that references an ancient Chinese poem. I like the Halloween themed joke about actually having bowls of bugs too. You are joking…right?

• Loïc Boisnier at 2014-01-07

I think the problem is over mtbikesman. He often ask for draw after he makes mistakes. But the aim of the game is to win, and mistakes are a part of the game.
    In my last game against Steven (1589468), i'm playing 14.h19.I don't know why. I've seen g17, but when i send the move, i've played this sub-optimal move. I don't think Steven will resign for this. It's my mistake, i will play better the next time.
    In the other side, in my game against David (1589474, not finished) i don't know why he prefers 27.i5 instead of 27.f3, but it's the game.
    And it's not why mtbikesman says other things that he is right ;-)

• Russ Williams at 2014-01-07

Asking for a draw after making a mistake seems pretty wacky to me. Making mistakes is a normal part of being a human and of playing games.

• mtbikesman at 2014-01-07

Since I have no inherent skill, begging, groveling and verbal intimidation are all I have to go on.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic