There is a new edition of Twixt to be published in a few months TWIXT PP

10 replies. Last post: 5 hours ago

Reply to this topic Return to forum

There is a new edition of Twixt to be published in a few months
  • David J Bush at 2017-08-13

Here are two threads on Board Game Geek which you may be interested in.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1828895/you-think-you-know-who-owns-rights-twixt-you-are-p

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1829175/proposed-cover-new-edition-twixt

Wayne Dolezal, the person behind this, tells me he has contacted a fulfillment services provider in Germany, so eventually Twixt will also be sold in Europe, I conclude.

Just wondering, if a new version of Twixt were available at a reasonable price, would you buy a copy? 

• Letstry_Laurent ★ at 2017-08-13

Thanks David for this interesting story. For what I’m concerned I’m happy with my 1963 old version of the game. I may consider buying new ones for gift, but it seems to me the rights that are talked about in the article are only for the USA ? So will the new version of the game be available only in the USA ?

And congratulations for your clean sheet in the current championship !

• CosimoC at 2017-08-13

I was struck by the work that Mr Dolezal made about the rights and permissions of publishing Twixt. It is not so easy to disentangle among them. During my talks with editors and with the official agent of Alex Randolph’s games, I felt that they were not convinced of publishing again Twixt, and this can be the answer to the fact that the last European edition was the Kosmos one (1998). Thus, I am happy that a guy firmly believes in Twixt, and decided to publish it again, even if he is not a relative of Alex Randolph.

If I will buy it? Well, I have 2 copies of the Klee editions, 2 copies of the Kosmos edition (I had 3 of them, but I gave one to Florian last year in London), and one homemade paper board with the guidelines that I used to study the openings with pegs, counters and barriers. However, I can buy it, if it will be cheap (or at least not too expensive).

I see a difficulty, at least for Europe. There is a guild of author of games in Germany (SAZ), that sometimes emits “ethic” sentences about what they think to be the “correct” application of the rules. They are powerful, at least in Germany, and their sentences are able to orientate the buyers (see for example, the 3/2017 Spielbox issue, page 1. I agree with the author about an excess of zeal by the SAZ). I am afraid that the action of Mr Dolezal will not be well judged by them.

If you want my opinion, I stay with Mr Dolezal and his initiative, because I believe that it is impossible that we have to wait for almost two decades to obtain a new edition of a great game like Twixt (2017-1998).

• Austral at 2017-08-14

Same as Laurent, I have an old version, but why not buy new ones as gift or to preserve a collector. ..

• David J Bush at 2017-08-14

I have a quote from Wayne D. regarding the SAZ and selling in Europe.

""While that union of gamers is very powerful, they cannot ban the game from appearing on amazon.de, at which case anyone from the EU can purchase the product. Ideally, it would be great if small shops could sell TwixT but they really have no control over simply selling the game in the EU"

• Austral at 2017-08-15

It would be great if it was sold with a little book giving strategic advices !!!

Any top players interested to write this ? Florian ? David ? Laurent ? Others ? 

• mtbikesman at 40 hours ago

I noticed that my name was omitted when they talked about the top Twixt players.  But that’s OK.  Because I am not one of the top Twixt players. 

Seriously, it would be hard to make money selling Twixt games when you can play the paper pencil version for free on paper and pencil.  That’s like selling a game to play tic tac toe.

• Loïc Boisnier at 38 hours ago

I’m french retailer and i’m trying to find an editor in my relationships a long time ago.

So, i think it will be a great news. 

I’m not sure to buy a new copy, it depends on components and price, but, clearly, i will play the game in my shop and i will try to organize tournament and demo games to explain the games at the maximum of people.

I hope it will be possible to do this new edition !

• Austral at 17 hours ago

Salut Loic,

Ça fait plaisir de te revoir par ici !

Ou se trouve ta boutique ? 

Et encore merci pour tes precieux conseils, je fais une petite pause à twixt (j’essaye d’apprendre le go...)mais j’espère y rejouer bientôt ! !

• Loïc Boisnier at 5 hours ago

Salut,

Ouais je me suis fait avoir avec leurs tournois des vieux vainqueurs de mc alors que je ne venais plus. Donc, j’ai replongé. Ma boutique est a Rennes.

Bon courage pour le go et à bientôt

Return to forum

Reply to this topic

Include game board: [game;id:123456] or [game;id:123456;move:20] or [game;id:123456;move:20;title:some text]