Is Gomoku harder or is it me? Gomoku, Connect6

5 replies. Last post: 2010-03-29

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Is Gomoku harder or is it me?
  • Aganju at 2010-03-29

Of the 12 new games I learned on this site in the last three months, I'm pretty ok with my progress/play level; with all except Gomoku. It seems to be not that complicated (compared to Dvonn, for example), and quite natural to read ahead.

So why do I still suck horribly at it, and have now reached a rating of 1400??

Is it more difficult then it looks, or are there more computer players out there (which would suck points out of all human players), or are only good players playing it ever?

Or am I just not good enough for this game??

• Dvd Avins at 2010-03-29

I suspect there's a lot of hard-won pattern recognition to be had, as in Go.

• Aganju at 2010-03-29

I can accept that, but in Go I have advanced, stable to around 13 kyu. In Gomoku my rating is still falling…

I would not have thought that it is as difficult to learn as Go? Is that what you are saying; I need to lose another 100 games of Gomoku and work on it to get any better?

• Dvd Avins at 2010-03-29

I don't know. I actually studied Go a decade or so back. But I haven't played more than an occasional game of Go Moku since I was a kid. So it doesn't surprise me that I'm relatively better at Go. I'm sure Go Moku doesn't have the depth of Go, and I doubt the tactical patterns are as numerous. But the search-depth with which you have to recognize the patterns probably is comparable.

• KPT at 2010-03-29

seems, this game is a little “classic” on other places in the world.

why russians are so good?

i think that they play, in school , like a paper and pencil game.

so the game is in his blood.

im wrong???

Return to forum

Reply to this topic