Is it rude to join a new monthly cup group after you've already won a group? General forum

12 replies. Last post: 2020-08-16

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Is it rude to join a new monthly cup group after you've already won a group?
  • shyryan ★ at 2020-08-13

I only just recently figured out how the monthly cup works. In case you don't know (or you know very well and can correct me if I'm wrong), it seems like:

1. As soon as 4 players have joined, a group starts with those 4 and a new group opens for registration.
    2. Once every group that opened up during that month has finished their tournament, the top finishers from each group play a final tournament against one another to determine the winner of the cup.

It appears there are no limits on how many groups you can be a part of. Sometimes the same player will win multiple groups.

My question is this: is there any sort of etiquette that says you should refrain from joining a new group if you have already secured a spot in the final round? I'm always eager to get as many games in as possible, but I can see players getting frustrated if a few very active, high-ranking players crowd out the less experienced from competing against one another.

As a middle-ranking player (mid 1700s in TwixT), I've been on both ends of this. I definitely don't mind when a 2200+ player swoops in and wipes the floor with everyone because there's always a ton to learn from those matches. I don't care if they've won a group already. But when a group starts and it's me and three folks in the 1400s or lower, I wonder if I should have stepped back. It's possible not everyone feels the same way as I do about playing against stronger opponents.

Obviously no one's breaking any rules by playing repeatedly, but I wonder what you think about the politeness of it.

• P_Guz at 2020-08-13

I do not think it is rude. I have always treated Monthly Cup as a opportunity to play with all kinds of players randomly taken (with different ranks)  - it is difficult in other types of tournaments. And I think that the prestige of Championships is much higher and rather there is a place for 'bigger ' competition. So I do not see a point why somebody's main motivation would be winning monthly cup at any cost. However I can understand that joining many monthly groups is about trying to understand better game or repairing rank.

One thing which it may be irritating is playing many games with the same person (when two people join during the same monthly groups).

But at the end of the day it all about fun. :)

• isometry at 2020-08-13

I don't think it is rude at all. The stronger player is not under any obligation to let in weaker players to round 2 for free, any more than he or she has to let them win a match once in a while.

• _syLph_ at 2020-08-13

I think it's most definitely true that some people don't enjoy getting crushed by stronger players, especially over and over again. Do I think that should stop someone strong from playing when they want to play? No, not at all.

The monthly cup is that type of tournament that is quick to launch simply by 4 people coming together regardless of their rating differences and it is actually the best way for weaker players that do want to play strong ones to meet those, which is definitely also a thing. The leagues in championships divide the players into groups based on strength and there is also rated games which you can register for and choose a maximum rating difference. If you really don't wanna play stronger players then these 2 options are something you can go for, but that's not what monthly cup was designed for.

I do think it's good to be aware of whether or not people actually enjoy playing you though and in the end it's up to you to give weaker players a break if you think that's the “right” thing to do.

• MisterCat ★ at 2020-08-13

Since we are all offering OPINIONS here, I will join in.  The admitted proviso is that THERE IS NO RULE in existence, and the monthly's really are 'no holds barred' 'free-for-all's'.  But you should know that I personally once criticized a master level player for joining a monthly when he out-rated everybody else by 400 points or more.

(no secret here - I sent a text to Maztajo, who replied with astonishment, since he hardly ever plays in the monthy's)

I was not a brand new player at that time - I had seen what was going on.  It seemed to me somehow unfair, when the sequence was: “Ah-ha!  I out-rate everyone in this monthly by 400 points, so it's a sure win for me, and I can proceed to round 2!“  Well, that's the way it appeared to me, when high rated players enter monthly's at the end - knowing who they will be playing.  On the other hand, if a high rated player enters a monthly EARLY, then that's different - it is entirely the choice of lower rated players to decide if they want the 'fun' and experience of getting wiped off the Twixt board by a master.  They don't have to enter, after all - and can wait for the next monthly.  That seems fair.

I believe that players with lower ratings deserve a fair shot - of the 'thrill' of seeing their name in the winner's circle of a monthly, and it still strikes me as a tad unfair when a high rated player enters at the end, to knowingly wipe the floor with them.  Naturally, some players enjoy the experience and learn by playing high rated players - and power to them.  I do it myself, every now and then.  Also, I'll admit that upsets are ALWAYS possible - I have seen players defeat other players with much higher ratings.  Sure - the chance of this is a feature of the monthly's run the way they are.  I'm reminded a bit in Chess - the U.S. Open, a yearly tournament with hundreds of players is ALL IN ONE SECTION, and for once, players can face off against players of MUCH higher strength (I got my a** kicked by grand-master).

So, shyryan, my answer is that there IS no rule, there IS no established 'etiquette', but in my opinion, perhaps the higher rated players should use a bit of fair play and let a monthly proceed every now and then - with lower rated players, before they jump in a gobble every thing up.

Also, the round 1 monthly's don't NECESSARILY lead to a final in round 2; if MORE PLAYERS WOULD ENTER the monthly's, the the number of players would exceed 5 in round 2, and there would be separate sections - and the final would occur in round 3.  It USED to be that way - long ago.

Should you enter a second monthly in a month where you are already seeded into round 2?  Well, that's another question - but actually I see no problem with that.  It's just more games to play, after all.

(meow)

• David J Bush ★ at 2020-08-14

Etiquette schmetiquette.

Also, adopting a policy for a strong player of entering just one monthly might backfire if you lose. Better to join at least two to improve your odds of reaching the next stage.

• metzgerism at 2020-08-14

Not rude, I'd encourage it. There are multiple formats and ranking methods utilized here: rating, Infinity, and championships all keep separate active records. Monthly is just tournaments if you're interested.

I used to run online competitions that encouraged participation, never deducting (and sometimes awarding) points for losing, then staging a bracket. I figured I'd rather reward active players than inactive ones and give the tournament a fixed schedule…the bracket would shake out who was actually better.

• Old Maid at 2020-08-16

Stop complaining! I only joined four or five times this month. And, duh, if you don't want to play against me, resign. How many times during the game do I have to tell you that? Strong players should not be obligated to respond to the stupid moves of weak players. Weak players should just resign, especially if they are politely asked repeatedly. Weak players need to show more respect for the superior intellect of the strong players. I think there should be a rule, anyone violating it should be banned.

• simpledeep at 2020-08-16

we aren't strong because of superior intellect. we're strong because we've learned more about how the game's tactics and strategies work. The knowledge we've accrued is a much bigger factor than our intelligence.

• metzgerism at 2020-08-16

MADhex, if you only want to play against strong opposition, don't join the Monthlies.

Weak players will never learn if they're forced to resign, never learn how to fight out situations, and when all the better players stop playing or die off, you won't have anyone to play against except for the machines.

• _syLph_ at 2020-08-16

sTrOnG PlAyErS ShOuLd nOt bE ObLiGaTeD To rEsPoNd tO ThE StUpId mOvEs oF WeAk pLaYeRs. WeAk pLaYeRs sHoUlD JuSt rEsIgN, eSpEcIaLlY If tHeY ArE PoLiTeLy aSkEd rEpEaTeDlY. wEaK PlAyErS NeEd tO ShOw mOrE ReSpEcT FoR ThE SuPeRiOr iNtElLeCt oF ThE StRoNg pLaYeRs. I ThInK ThErE ShOuLd bE A RuLe, AnYoNe vIoLaTiNg iT ShOuLd bE BaNnEd.

What in the fuck did I just read.

• Oakmoss at 2020-08-16

Pretty sure MADhex is being sarcastic.

MADhex pls confirm

Return to forum

Reply to this topic