New chat feature General forum

36 replies. Last post: 2022-06-07

Reply to this topic Return to forum

New chat feature
  • William Fraser at 2022-01-07

I've just noticed (after a pair of brief outages) that Little Golem is back up with in-game chat that isn't limited to “one comment per move” AND allows you to see the entire conversation without searching around in the game for the correct move number!

Thanks, Richard!

• ypercube at 2022-01-08

It also allows you to write a message when it's the opponent's turn.

Nice feature, thank you Richard!

• bennok ★ at 2022-01-08

Wow, very nice addition, thanks Richard !

• Harry Grafton at 2022-01-08

Also a subtraction

On an android tablet just played last but one move, but no chat box appears to do the custom gg

• jytou ★ at 2022-01-08

Indeed, the chat feature is gone from the iphone version. Is there an alternative, besides using the full (desktop) version? I supposed it is stored differently so it may probably need a rewrite on the iphone side. Nice feature on the desktop side anyway!

• Harry Grafton at 2022-01-08

Desktop, can even chat after game has finished, maybe, have only gg'ed after a gg so not expecting a further response to test

• spartacu5 at 2022-01-09

great!

• bennok ★ at 2022-01-09

Beware: the “Send move” button no longer sends the message!

So send your message with “enter” BEFORE sending the move, or more simply: just play your move and you can send a message later :)

• Ray Garrison at 2022-01-09

A problem with the new chat feature: For full board shogi (and probably other games), the new chat feature pushes the board off the top of the screen (on a desktop), so I have to scroll up to see the board. The problem is, I usually like to play through the previous moves of the game when I am thinking about my move, but every time I go to the next move, I have to scroll away from the chat to see the board. One possible solution would be to have an option for the user to “hide” the chat?

• David J Bush ★ at 2022-01-09

I appreciate the improvements to chat, but I would call the message failure when you don't press Enter a bug, and I hope it will be fixed soon.

• Paul Wiselius at 2022-01-10

Chat feature also disappeared from the Android version.

• Galdian at 2022-01-10

Great feature, thanks!

• Rbpompeu at 2022-01-11

Thank you Richard, I loved the new chat design!

• ka300 ★ at 2022-01-11

generally cool, but, at least in wyps:

• writing something in the chat during the middle of a move resets the move to the initial position
    • larger conversations take too much room and the window content is positioned after each click in the board at the end of the chat, not at the game => loosing focus and scrolling problems

I am OK with the old form, maybe it is better to keep it simple.
    Also have no need to talk if I am not on the move, it may be even a bit confusing. There are messages if needed.

• Hjallti ★ at 2022-01-11

I think that last problem is only a problem in games where you make more clicks to make a move. While the new feature has more advantages.

• Harry Grafton at 2022-01-11

losing [lose,loss] focus

p.s. google will also change loosing focus to losing focus

• Ray Garrison at 2022-01-12

The problem I mentioned 2022-01-09 (see above) has been corrected. Thanks Richard!

• klaashaas at 2022-01-18

No chat on mobile ☹️

• Nagy Fathy at 2022-01-20

May I ask for a simple addition?!

May “Send Move” button sends also the chat line in addition to sending the move that would be great!

Currently, I play the move, then type in chat then:

• If press enter to send the chat I would lose my move, and I have to replay my move again.
    • If I send the move , then the chat would be lost and I have to use browser “Back” to retype the chat.

Am I the only one who suffers from this?

• ka300 ★ at 2022-01-24

Seems similar to my previous points, NF.

• bennok ★ at 2022-01-25

I noticed a side effect of the new feature. If I say “Great move!” to my opponent I need to specify which one ! Because obviously there is no more sync between the moves played and the comments made !

This means that in all those beautiful past games, we may have lost the fine analysis made during play :(

• Harry Grafton at 2022-01-25

maybe save messages with move number between player_name and message

eg

Player one:0 Good luck
    Player two:1 Good luck
    Player one:58. gg
    Player two:59. gg, next time I will win!
    Player two:60. maybe….

• Paul Wiselius at 2022-01-29

Still no chat feature on mobile, probably also not on tablet. So only use is with pc. Too bad.

• jytou ★ at 2022-02-03

Indeed. It looks like many people are using the mobile version and don't see messages - or otherwise they're ignoring me. :P

• _syLph_ at 2022-02-26

It seems only 10 messages are saved per game, that's a bit unfortunate imo, I like to have all my conversations saved.

• jytou ★ at 2022-04-04

Just for the record, I've given up chatting in games - as many others seem to have done. Too bad. It was a nice feature that was adding to the site.

• klaashaas at 2022-04-04

Same for me… I play most of my moves on my phone… Too bad ☹️

• ghardh at 2022-04-05

I like the chat feature. It's a shame, that nearly nobody uses it (maybe because too cumbersome on the phone). I don't like to play on the phone.

• Paul Wiselius at 2022-04-05

@ghardh: it is not cumbersome, it is not there at all!! :-((

• psikonauta at 2022-04-09

Yes, please, bring back chat on mobile, the site feels much more impersonal now…

• Ragnar Wikman at 2022-05-11

I play 98% of my moves on my mobile phone, and I haven't even been able to figure out if it is even possible to activate the chat function on my (not particularly…) smartphone. The message function was easy to use, but now I am unable to say hello at the start of the game, and to say thank you after the game is finished :-(
    Could we please have the message function back!

• Harry Grafton at 2022-05-12

Try using desktop page instead

• Paul Wiselius at 2022-05-16

@19838: thanx for the tip! With Chrome I can check “Desktopsite” and then I get the normal windows layout. But it is not really handy. It seems I first have to press Chat, then enter my message and then press the check (v) on my screen keyboard, then the message is sent. Not sure if I will use it very often ;-)

• Carroll at 2022-06-01

Thanks Richard for the feature you added to allow us to remove chats, I have been waiting for this forever !
    Could you also make it so that when we play a move and then post a chat, the move is not reset ?

• Nagy Fathy at 2022-06-05

I think I will continue chatting on my games, as I have stopped it for a long time now!
    Thank you Richard, now I can send a message after playing the move, and the move does not canceled!
    I am not sure about sending the message by pressing “Send” button, but for now I can resume sending messages just by pressing Enter key, then send the move by pressing “Send” button, which is OK with me.
    I have to apologize for all the player who sent me greetings and I did not reply, as I stopped typing anything because of the odd behavior of pressing Enter!

• Carroll at 2022-06-07

Yes, thanks Richard!
    And apologies accepted Nagy ;)
    Yes enter then send works, but send alone just sends the move not the message you typed.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic