2nd Tour de Little Golem General forum

74 replies. Last post: 2024-04-13

Reply to this topic Return to forum

2nd Tour de Little Golem
  • richyfourtytwo at 2022-10-23

Some of you may remember that I ran a series of tournaments under the title 'Tour de Little Golem' a couple of (or rather several) years ago. There was one tournament per month, every month a new game and points were collected across all of them. I want to repeat something similar now.

Here are the rules as I envision them atm. Details may change, but the big picture will remain the same:

1. A new stage starts every 2 weeks as a User Tournament
    2. Each stage will be run in a game (variant) that hasn't been used so far
    3. All players participating in any of the stages will automatically take part in the Tour. (No extra sign-up required.)
    4. Players can participate in as many or as few stages as they want.
    5. For each point won in a tournament the players get one point for the Tour. (If there are multiple rounds, all count. Scaled fractional points will be used for games like StreetSoccer.)
    6. Additionally each player gets 5 points for participation in a stage.
    7. The standings will be published somewhere, probably on a google sheet

The participation points mean you have a chance to compete just by participating in many rounds, even if you are not one of those highly gifted people with 2000+ ranking in multiple games. It also encourages trying out games you haven't played before.

About picking the games: Any game based on language is out. I'll try to come up with a good mixture across all the others. If this Tour should turn out to be a success, all games will be covered at some point. I'm not yet sure about how to deal with variants. Obviously not all variants will be used. But maybe we'll use more than one variant if a game is popular and has a history of using those variants (like go 19x19 and go 9x9) or when variants are popular and are really different (maybe Einstein Backwards capture?). I'm happy to listen to everyones opinion about this. But there is no rush, plenty of games to pick from even without using different variants.

For the start I am thinking to be at least partly guided by championship popularity. Currently my plan is this:

Stage 1: Go 19x19
    Stage 2: Street Soccer
    Stage 3: Connect6

Advertising: I'm considering to send invitation messages to people active in the ladder for games in upcoming stages. Also, feel free to talk you favourite opponents into this.

• richyfourtytwo at 2022-10-23

First stage is open for registration: https://www.littlegolem.net/ng/a/Ctrn.action?view=&dto.id=1256

• Sighris at 2022-10-23

Hey, cool idea! I'll consider it… but I think I'm already in too many tournaments! (I also play WeiQi on OGS)

In any event, good luck and have fun!

• richyfourtytwo at 2022-10-25

Note that you don't have to commit to all stages. You can participate in as many or as few as you wish.

• mungo at 2022-10-28

I remember the last one. Thanks for starting up the Tour again :)

• richyfourtytwo at 2022-10-30

I have opened the sign-up for stage 2 (StreetSoccer): https://www.littlegolem.net/ng/a/Ctrn.action?view=&dto.id=1257

Sign-up for stage 1 (Go 19x19) is also still open (will start in 2 weeks): https://www.littlegolem.net/ng/a/Ctrn.action?view=&dto.id=1256 We have 13 players there so far.

• richyfourtytwo at 2022-10-31

Here' a first draft for the order of stages. If Richard adds any new games, they'd be added at the end. The method I used was a mixture of intuition, trying to avoid too similar games very close to each others and trying to strat with more popular games. If anyone has suggestion about changing the order, adding or removing games, post them here.

Go 19x19
    StreetSoccer
    Connect6
    Amazons
    Chess
    Hex 13
    Reversi
    EinStein würfelt nicht!
    Breakthrough
    Havannah
    Lines of Action
    XiangQi - Chinese Chess
    Gomoku
    DVONN
    International Draughts
    WYPS numeric
    Polyomino
    Go torodial
    Twixt PP
    Catchup
    Shogi - Japanese chess
    Oceans 11
    TZAAR
    Dots and Boxes (6x6)
    Slither
    LYNGK
    Chess 960
    Four in row
    Tumbleweed
    Dameo
    ConHex
    Morelli
    Go9
    QYPS

If I didn't miscount, that's 34 stages.

• slaapgraag at 2022-11-02

If I sign up fot Streetsoccer, how many games will I play appeoximatly? And how long would the tournament take?

• richyfourtytwo at 2022-11-02

I don't know the exact algorithm for setting up user tournament groups. But it seems likely that it will be 2 rounds. So you'll most likely get between 5 and 9 games in the first round all simultaneously. If you qualify for the next round (1st and 2nd place ???) you will get additional games in the same order of magnitude. I don't know at which threshold it will become a three round thing, but I doubt we'll get that many players. Duration is hard to estimate, depends on your playing speed and that of the slowest opponent.

• slaapgraag at 2022-11-04

OK, thx, lets try one then!

• richyfourtytwo at 2022-11-04

I think I found out: A user tournament will have 3 rounds if more than 50 people sign up. We are at 21 and 24 so far for the first two stages, so if nothing surprising happens they should have 2 rounds. And indeed it seem that always the first two players in each group proceed to the next round.

• richyfourtytwo at 2022-11-10

Three days until stage 1 (Go 19x19) will start. So far we have 21 players.

Don't miss your chance and sign up now if you haven't already: https://www.littlegolem.net/ng/a/Ctrn.action?view=&dto.id=1256

• richyfourtytwo at 2022-11-12

Stage 1 will start tomorrow. 22 players so far. Registration still open: https://www.littlegolem.net/ng/a/Ctrn.action?view=&dto.id=1256

Meanwhile I have created the tournament for stage 3 (Connect6): https://www.littlegolem.net/ng/a/Ctrn.action?view=&dto.id=1258

• richyfourtytwo at 2022-11-13

Stage 1 has started. Have fun everyone!

I prepared the standings page already, though it is pretty boring atm: https://tinyurl.com/tourdelittlegolem

• richyfourtytwo at 2022-11-16

The first game has finished, so we have a leader. Have a look here:

https://tinyurl.com/tourdelittlegolem

It was myself who 'delivered' those points! :-)

• ypercube at 2022-11-16

Crelo is good, really good!

• Crelo at 2022-11-17

That is only because it started with the go tournament. The order will change soon. But thanks for your good thoughts ypercube :-D

• richyfourtytwo at 2022-11-24

3 days left for stage 2 (StreetSoccer) registration: https://www.littlegolem.net/ng/a/Ctrn.action?view=&dto.id=1257

You can also register for stage 3 (Connect 6) here: https://www.littlegolem.net/ng/a/Ctrn.action?view=&dto.id=1258

As usual current standings are here: https://tinyurl.com/tourdelittlegolem

• richyfourtytwo at 2022-11-27

Stage 2 - StreetSoccer has started. Enjoy!

Registration for stage 4 (Amazons) is open now: https://www.littlegolem.net/ng/a/Ctrn.action?view=&dto.id=1259

You can still register for stage 3 (Connect6) here: https://www.littlegolem.net/ng/a/Ctrn.action?view=&dto.id=1258

The standings page is a tad more interesting by now, though not super-exciting yet, I admit: https://tinyurl.com/tourdelittlegolem

• richyfourtytwo at 2022-12-03

Crelo is still in the lead, but we now have single players in positions 2 and 3 as well, see: https://tinyurl.com/tourdelittlegolem

• richyfourtytwo at 2022-12-08

We have a new player in the lead, check it out on https://tinyurl.com/tourdelittlegolem

Also just a few days left for Stage 3 registration: https://www.littlegolem.net/ng/a/Ctrn.action?view=&dto.id=125

• Hjallti ★ at 2022-12-09

I think there is a digit missing in the url above.

Is it possible to open up registration for later stages as well? I am afraid i will forget them later…

• richyfourtytwo at 2022-12-09

Thanks for pointing that out, here is the correct stage 3 link (I hope): https://www.littlegolem.net/ng/a/Ctrn.action?view=&dto.id=1258

Sure, I can set up more tournaments on the weekend. Should I really do them for all known games already? It has the obvious advantage that you can register now for all and forget about it. OTOH we might get more timeouts later, because people sign up now but leave the site before the later rounds start. Any opinions?

• Hjallti ★ at 2022-12-09

what about 2 months ahead (thus 4 or 5 games) i agree that putting them on all will create time outs more.

• William Fraser at 2022-12-09

I'd be inclined to add them all. I'm not too worried about no-show players, as their games nare over in 15-30 days and won't hold anything up. And they don't affect the relative standing since they'll lose all their games – except against each other.

The only downside I see is that it gives free points to everyone who plays in each tournament – further increasing the punishment for skipping a round….

• richyfourtytwo at 2022-12-09

Thanks for your input, both.

The time-outers might affect the relative standings, if they are distrubuted unevenly in the first of multiple rounds. In an extreme case one pretty weak player (say myself in Shogi) could win all games in round 1 via timeout while players of medium strength in other groups only make 1 or 2 points. But that's not very likely of course.

Also timeouts are a bit sad regardless of any impact. We are here for playing after all.

Will still wait for more opinions and probably open at least a few more stages on Sunday.

• Mojmir Hanes ★ at 2022-12-09

I personally support Hjalti's proposal (2 months ahead thus 4 or 5 games), but am fine with adding all at once as well.

Timeouts/no-shows might prolong the tournament, especially when we observe them in the last stages

• William Fraser at 2022-12-09

Ah, didn't think of multi-round. Good point that. However, I'd still favor it, but not as strongly….

• richyfourtytwo at 2022-12-11

OK, I opened a few more stages for registration, as discussed. Stage 3 - Connect6 - has just started, these are the ones open for registration now:

Stage 4 - Amazons

Stage 5 - Chess

Stage 6 - Hex 13

Stage 7 - Reversi

Stage 8 - EinStein

Hope I got all URLs right this time.

The standings have been updated too.

(I'm updating the standings sort of regularly anyway, without announcing here every time.)

• richyfourtytwo at 2022-12-14

Connect6 is a quick game, so there is a lot of movement in the standings. Check it out!

• Mojmir Hanes ★ at 2022-12-15

Thanks richyfourtytwo for organising it ;)

Would it be possible to add to the standings information when was it last updated ?

Thanks

• richyfourtytwo at 2022-12-16

Makes sense and shouldn't bee too hard to add to my semi-automated procedure.

• richyfourtytwo at 2022-12-16

OK, done. Not very elegant, but there is a timestamp in the last row now. It's from my local time zone, so CET.

• Mojmir Hanes ★ at 2022-12-16

Thanks.

If you like, you can add to the timestamp timezone (like 'Last update: 2022-12-16 16:23:15 CET') - just suggestion, I am very fine with the current solution as well ;)

• richyfourtytwo at 2022-12-23

Two day until amazons starts. Register now!

• Hjallti ★ at 2023-01-03

Next game to open user tournament would be breakthrough and Havannah. In which size will the Havannah tournament be?

• richyfourtytwo at 2023-01-03

Default size for Havannah seems to be 10 - also the variant with most infinity users, so I lean towards that.

I'll open up these 2 tomorrow (or on the weekend in case I'm more busy than expected tomorrow).

• richyfourtytwo at 2023-01-08

Stage 5 - Chess has started.

Standings are updated.

Also I have opened two more stages for registration: Breakthrough and Havannah.

• richyfourtytwo at 2023-01-22

Stage 6, Hex, has started. Standings have been updated again. (Link see above, I'm lazy today.

• richyfourtytwo at 2023-02-06

Stage 7 - Reversi has started.

Standings are updated.

Also I have opened two more stages for registration: Lines of Action and XiangQi.

• Crelo at 2023-02-06

How do I register for the new stages?

• Crelo at 2023-02-06

Ah, I missed a lot of stages. I was thinking I will be automatically registered.

• richyfourtytwo at 2023-02-06

Sorry, you'll have to follow this thread, I post new registration links about once a month. No way to automate this I fear.

• richyfourtytwo at 2023-02-20

Standings are updated.

Also I have opened two more stages for registration: Gomoku and Dvonn.

• Oakmoss at 2023-02-21

Rather than looking here or at the standings page to see what was open, I skimmed every open user tournament. I'm a big fan of doing things the hard way, apparently.

• richyfourtytwo at 2023-03-12

Standings are updated.

Also I have opened three more stages for registration: International Draughts, WYPS numeric and Polyomino.

BTW: In those stages that have more than one round, it would be helpful if someone could alert me here when the 2nd round starts. I need to add that round to the URL list my standings script works on and if I'm not qualified for round 2 myself I might miss it. (I saw now that streetsoccer has enetered round 2, so that's taken care of.)

• richyfourtytwo at 2023-03-29

Haven't updated the standings in a while, so did it now. Link is in the above post, as I'm lazy today.

• richyfourtytwo at 2023-04-16

I wanted to open a few new stages for registration today, but it looks lie the registration pages are broken atm, so I'll wait.

Standings are updated though, link is 2 posts above.

• Oakmoss at 2023-05-07

It looks like the user tournament pages are showing up properly again! I was able to leave and rejoin them with no problem.

• richyfourtytwo at 2023-05-07

Yes, thanks, I noticed that too and I am planning to open sevaral new rounds for registration now.

For now: standings are updated.

• richyfourtytwo at 2023-05-07

OK, I have now done what I argued against before: opening all remaining stages (as per the current plan) for registration already. I know it is probably not ideal, but doing all at once was very efficient and I am a bit short of time atm and in the foreseeable future. We may have to live with more timeouts in later rounds, sorry for that.

Anyway, here are the new registration links:

Stage 18, Go torodial: Register here

Stage 19, Twixt PP: Register here

Stage 20, Catchup: Register here

Stage 21, Shogi - Japanese chess: Register here

Stage 22, Oceans 11: Register here

Stage 23, TZAAR: Register here

Stage 24, Dots and Boxes (6x6): Register here

Stage 25, Slither: Register here

Stage 26, LYNGK: Register here

Stage 27, Chess 960: Register here

Stage 28, Four in row: Register here

Stage 29, Tumbleweed: Register here

Stage 30, Dameo: Register here

Stage 31, ConHex: Register here

Stage 32, Morelli: Register here

Stage 33, Go9: Register here

Stage 34, QYPS: Register here

• richyfourtytwo at 2023-05-20

Standings updated, link is 2 posts above.

• richyfourtytwo at 2023-05-28

Standings updated.

• Crelo at 2023-06-25

Today started the 17th tournament. If no new games are added we are at the middle of the tour.

• Oakmoss at 2023-06-25

Speaking on that, might Fendo get added as a Stage 35, or is the Tournament going to stand as a snapshot of the site when the 2nd Tour began? I know that could in theory make it run much longer, but I don't think Richard can add games more quickly than you can organize tournaments for them, so even adding games shouldn't make it stretch much longer.

• richyfourtytwo at 2023-06-26

Yes, I was thinking about adding Fendo. I might decide just following my mood. Also willing to listen to what you guys think of course.

• Mojmir Hanes ★ at 2023-06-26

I am fine with adding Fendo (if majority thinks we should not do it, fair enough ;) )

• Hjallti ★ at 2023-06-26

I would love to have fendo included

• richyfourtytwo at 2023-07-05

I'll add Fendo when I get around to it.

Meanwhile standings are updated.

Glad to see that finally klaashaas and gamesorry have overtaken me. I was in one of the top positions for a long time simply because I'm one of the quicker players, not because I'm any good. :-) Also I expect Crelo, who has missed a few rounds to enter the top 10 soon.

• Oakmoss at 2023-07-05

Ooh, it's close between 10th and 12th, and there I am in the middle with the only prime ordinal of the three (I've got to find some context in which I'm winning)!

• richyfourtytwo at 2023-08-12

I haven't updated the standings for a long time, sorry for that. Now you can see the current ones here.

We have a new leader: gamesorry. Also Crelo is still climbing up. I expect him to get past me eventually. Maybe even higher?

Finally I have added Fendo as stage 35. Register here.

• Crelo at 2023-08-13

Thanks richyfourtytwo for your good words. You burden me with expectations :-). I am afraid my good run is because DVONN and Toroidal Go and might not be reproduced in the future, but I will try my best.

• gamesorry ★ at 2023-08-21

Thanks richyfourtytwo for organizing and updating this! It has been quite tough for me to keep up with all the games especially with the recent double round-robin championship changes, so I might take a break after all these tournaments finished :)

• richyfourtytwo at 2023-08-21

Well, you are the one organising the title tournaments on OGS if I am not mistaken, so I am just giving back! :-)

• richyfourtytwo at 2023-09-23

Standings updated, same link as usual.

Only change in the top 10 positions is that mungo overtook me and has the 4th place now.

• richyfourtytwo at 2023-10-07

Standings updated.

Klaashaas has grabbed the 2nd spot now.

• richyfourtytwo at 2023-10-07

Ugh, I had a typo in my data that meant no points were recorded for oceans 11. I fixed that now and updated again.

• richyfourtytwo at 2023-10-23

Standings updated again, too lazy to add a link today, so look above. :-)

• richyfourtytwo at 2023-11-19

Standings updated again.

No changes in the top positions that I could spot.

• richyfourtytwo at 2023-12-04

Standings updated again.

Nagy Fathy has taken the 6th psoition now.

• richyfourtytwo at 2024-01-01

Standings updated again.

And a happy new year to everyone!

• richyfourtytwo at 2024-02-18

After a pretty long time I updated the standings again today.

Also I wanted to announce that the Fendo stage starting in 2 weeks will definitely be the last one.

Personally I'm going through a motivational low. Not so much because it's going on for so long now, more because most of my ongoing games are Morelli now, and I just can't connect to that game at all. There are other games I'm equally incompetent in, but I still enjoy playing them. Morelli? Nope!

Anyway, we are nearing the end. Although it'll be a long time until the last game has finished.

• richyfourtytwo at 2024-03-05

Last tournament has started. Standings updated, link is above.

• richyfourtytwo at 2024-04-13

Sorry for the long silence. Standings updated again today.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic