Quick variant , Scramble variant LOA forum

6 replies. Last post: 2009-03-04

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Quick variant , Scramble variant
  • Richard Malaschitz ★ at 2009-03-01

In waiting room is possible play two new variant of LOA. Difference is in start setup of stones.

[game;id:1009582;move:0]

[game;id:1009583;move:0]

• KPT at 2009-03-01

thankz !

• Carroll ★ at 2009-03-02

Great!

I hope the code was not too complex ;-) This way plenty of new games could be created!

What is your policy about these variants for Tournaments?

• wccanard at 2009-03-02

I will remark that one has to be careful with these sorts of things. If a new variant “splits” a crowd—i.e. everyone plays as much as they used to, because they play the old variant 50 percent of the time and the new variant 50 percent of the time, then having e.g. monthly cups in both variants might make them much less fun because there will be only half as many round 1s taking place, so the round 2s won't be as much of a challenge. Everyone seems to be saying what their favourite tournaments are on various boards at the minute, so let me offer my 2 cents: my favourite is monthly cup round 2 or more.

• maraca at 2009-03-02

I don't think the splitting crowd is here a problem, because compared to the original game, the first moving player has a much bigger advantage in quick loa.The scramble variant has a problem, don't know how to say it, but let's look at e1-g3, white isn't able now to play a similar move, the “following move” is a black stone, the point mirrored stone d8 is black too and a5-c7 is useless… maybe I'm wrong, but in my opinion should the first moving player having an advantage here too.

• Hjallti at 2009-03-04

@Carroll:

As I understood it at this moment there is only rated and unrated games, not ordered in tournaments

RT dissappeared, but in the near future Richard will make it possible to play 'user defined' tournaments (I suppose rated, allthough maybe it will be as well a parameter) with a number of parameters to be installed.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic