Board too big. Einstein forum

9 replies. Last post: 2006-03-13

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Board too big.
  • Abigail at 2006-03-10

I've only played a few moves so far, but IMO, the board is too big. I need to scroll to see the bottom row of the board. I don't need to scroll for GWG, and that's being played on a 5x5 board as well.

• Richard Malaschitz ★ at 2006-03-10

It is too big in fullsize mode too (press F11 in Firefox or InterentExplorer) ?

• Abigail at 2006-03-10

Perhaps the board isn't too big then, but my browser certainly will be.

• graff at 2006-03-10

I agree, the board is rather large.

Also, there doesn't seem to be a way to see what the last move was. Is this because of the dificulties associated with when the last move won the round?

• Hartmut at 2006-03-11

And the title is not implemented: “Ein Stein w?rfelt nicht” is translated something like “one figure doesn't throw a die” - according to the game it doesn't need to role the die when there is just one of your figures/stones left on the board. LG shows a die number then too, but I wouldn't blame this a bug ;-)

Great implementation, Richard :-)

(but the board is really too big)

• Abigail at 2006-03-11

But the game is called “EinStein w\“urflet nicht”, not “Ein Stein”. This is a play on words, Einstein is a famous scientists who once said “Gott w\“urflet nicht”, or “God doesn't throw dice” (when commenting Quantum Mechanics). If you'd translate the name of the game, you end up with either “Einstein doesn't throw a die”, or “One figure doesn't throw a die”. Neither does the German original justice.

• Hartmut at 2006-03-11

Hi Abigail, who doesn't know Einstein's person, his work and his famous sentence? I didn't think about the need to explain this, I just wanted to show up the other *double* meaning of the title, as the uppercase S in EinStein shows the way to this - objects are always written uppercase in german, so “Stein” with uppercase S is the word for “stone” or game figure here. Yep, it's all a game with words :-)

PS: another famous Einstein wisdom: “Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.”

• ypercube at 2006-03-12

And as all mathematicians know that there are many, many infinite objects (an infinity of them), this Einstein “wisdom” proves exactly what it says. Even a Nobel prize winner can say stupid things sometimes.

Oh, burn me in the fire for being blasphemous and writing such things for Einstein!

• Figilano at 2006-03-13

It's “wrong” from the mathematicians point of view, but it's not “stupid” as an aphorism

Return to forum

Reply to this topic