Should there be more stochastic abstracts on LG? Which? Einstein forum

7 replies. Last post: 2020-07-24

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Should there be more stochastic abstracts on LG? Which?
  • add3993 at 2020-07-20

I've just discovered this game, but I really like it.  I've also been playing a lot of Backgammon.  I'm looking for other good strategic but randomized perfect-information games, and also wanted to query how people would feel having more on LG.  (My opinion: seeing that this game looks quite popular here, why not?)

• ypaul21 at 2020-07-22

As someone who is purely into combinatorial games, I personally hope that they add more non-luck-based games, but I do observe that it’s these sorts of games and word games that are most popular.

There’s also StreetSoccer that works on a similar concept, but the strategy escapes me for this one. People do seem to play this a lot too though, so it can also probably be played to quite a high level.

• Carroll at 2020-07-22

Yes I would like any form of poker on LG, Oceans'11 seems fun.

• metzgerism at 2020-07-22

IMHO, mid-game chance elements make for easier playing games here: if I can be burned by luck of the draw, I'm not quite as concerned about the interplay between move optimization and probability. Not saying it's good or bad, just a lot less brain-burning for me.

Personally, I like seeing combinatorial games with random setups, which Richard has implemented quite a few of (Catchup, DVONN, Go), sometimes skipping the early-game entirely. Imagine Catan with a trackable dice deck and modified trading.

• Rex Moore at 2020-07-24

Richard, Oceans 11 looks very interesting (especially with no wild cards, or 54 cards with the Joker). Please implement it right after you do the standard rules for Lyngk!  ;)

• add3993 at 2020-07-24

I think a common difficulty with abstracts is that their openings can feel very slow and opaque to less-skilled players, so I tend to like the idea of random openings.  They can also reduce/destroy the importance of joseki / standard opening patterns, which I like many feel is generally a plus.

However, they're still quite akin to the original games in their tactics, and don't involve the same kind of probabilistic reasoning as Backgammon or Einstein WN.  I personally would also like to see more of these games here.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic