New top rated Catchup player, for the first time in years. Catchup

5 replies. Last post: 2019-05-10

Reply to this topic Return to forum

New top rated Catchup player, for the first time in years.
  • NickBentley at 2019-05-08

Just noticed Jos Dekker's years-long iron grip on the top rating has slipped.

The new top dog is eobllor. Congrats eobllor! Any tips you want to share?

(right now only 7 points separates them so who knows how long this will last).

• eobllor ★ at 2019-05-09

Thanks! Though, my overtaking Jos owes more to his recent losses than to my wins; and actually I am still behind NapoleonGolemite.

I wish I had good strategy insights to share, but I still feel (almost) like a beginner. Many games were won because the opponent misread, I think.

I can say little of value about the opening phase, except rather vague remarks: of course one has to scatter their pieces over the board, maintain a balance between centre and side strengths, and carefully decide the moment to take the lead.

After that, it is often better to have little groups that can connect (even better: having a second connexion in case threatened) than to have one big group, which may easily grant the opponent additional drops. One also has to careful, when the main group leaves a big territory behind, not to be sandwiched between two opponent groups with one of them at least the same size as the sandwiched group; that happens a lot when pressing the opponent on one side, while they have a lot of scattered pieces on the other side.

As for the endgame (or close to it), it is more straightforward: one has to count (when not inspired, using a brute-force reasoning when sufficiently close to the end is a good idea). That avoids a lot of mistakes! Also, one should mind the various tactical traps the opponent can try then (often resulting in threats forcing one to take the lead in response).

• Florian Jamain at 2019-05-09

They are both very strong players in general by the way, not only in Catchup.

• z at 2019-05-10

Congrats, eobllor! Why isn't NapoleonGolemite on the rating list?

• eobllor ★ at 2019-05-10

Thanks! I think it's because he's been inactive for too long; thus he does not appear in the top 10 on the main page, but still is present in the complete list.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic