pirates Game of Empathy

4 replies. Last post: 2006-03-09

Reply to this topic Return to forum

pirates
  • Ed Collins at 2006-03-08

There were a lot of good pirate expressions listed today, many of which never occurred to me at all. I should have at least considered hook, wooden leg, and Caribbean but these three, among others, never crossed my mind.

Biggest surprise to me was seeing “skull and cross bones” receive 11 points. I thought of “skull” and I thought of “cross bones” but I wouldn't have expected to see both of them together, in that exact phrase, chosen 11 times.

My favorite pirate word, and the very first word I thought of when I saw pirate was “plunder” but I didn't choose it. I figured (correctly) it would probably be near the bottom of the list.

• Judy at 2006-03-09

There were a lot of words that instantly came to mind for me too.

I posted “skull and crossbones”, “peg leg”, and “eye patch”.

But sadly, in my case “ship” wasn't one of them. LOL

Just when I think I have a game nailed, I miss the number one word.

Too funny!

• BIG BAD WOLF at 2006-03-09

Some answers are so obvious after you hear them, you wonder how in the world you could not think of them. Happens to me all the time.

• David Scott at 2006-03-09

unfortunately picking “skull” and “crossbones” as separate picks takes up two slots. I think generally when there aren't many good words to pick, people tend to separate. If there are lots of good words, people don't like to use two slots on one idea. That is why for Chuck Norris, “Walker”, “Texas” and “Ranger” all scored well (what else has he been in lately?!?), and for pirates, “skullandcrossbones” was preferred (with so many good alternatives). I had about 25 solid words for “pirates” - it was a real struggle to whittle it down to 10.

On an unrelated note, I am enjoying this trend of having plural words as the empathy word (boys, children, pirates). It makes the game more strategic - people have to think about how other people are going to deal with the plural/singular issue instead of simply thinking of the most popular words.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic