Interesting observation about the last topic. Game of Empathy

112 replies. Last post: 2013-09-30

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Interesting observation about the last topic.
  • dgreene11235 at 2010-04-21

I've played this game for several rounds and I am always fascinated every round by something different. It seems there are always unique little oddities about each game. I'd like to see hear any observations you guys see at the ends of each round. I'll start.

• dgreene11235 at 2010-04-21

Did you notice that there was not 1 person from France in the top 10 for the topic: “What can you say in French?”

• slaapgraag at 2010-06-02

Souvenir from Holland:

3-way tie for the dutch players: #9.

• Aganju at 2010-06-02

Who would take a windmill as souvenir??? I mean how do you get it home? Those things are multiple-story buildings, and the flaps are easily 20 feet long each. Who in the world would take that as a souvenir?

• MarleysGhost at 2010-06-02

I have a 15-cm windmill that my grandparents brought back from Holland as a souvenir.

• slaapgraag at 2010-08-01

austria - hungary: 58 players! Nice!

• slaapgraag at 2010-08-01

oh no -that was for the last 7 games :-(

• somar96 at 2010-08-01

lol. an interesting observation of the last game is that I came 7th, even though I got 1 1-point answer and 1 2-point answer

• MichaeI X at 2010-08-04

3 letter body parts

Very interesting that those copying the “correct” google (yahoo) answer, only came in 4th to 9th.

Of course the censored ass is much more common than recognizing gum as a body part. (I thought they use silicone, not gum ;)

My deepest sympathy for RoRoRo. I guess, not understanding the topic his only 3 letter words were “the” and “are”, and he did not dare to enter “3”, which is not in his GWG list ;)

• MarleysGhost at 2010-08-06

I can't believe only one other player put Yoda.

Bravo to those 3 who put Sooty. I have fond memories of Sooty. (memories that failed me when I was trying to think of famous puppets, but fond now that I've been reminded)

• Phil The Hat at 2010-08-11

I put gum rather than ass, not because of any self-censorship, but because ass as a body part is an Americanism, and a slang term - The English equivalent is arse which is 4 letters. The gum is an actual proper name for a part of the body (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gums) although it would usually be used in the plural.

• somar96 at 2010-08-16

where water comes from: comets (2)

just 2???

• Phil The Hat at 2010-08-17

LOL. Better than supermarket(1)

• MichaeI X at 2010-09-01

London: The “single words are best” rule did not apply, this time.

Sure, “Big Ben”, “Buckingham Palace” or “Hyde Park” need a space in the middle.

Amazing (for me):

- “Tower of London” (12)

- “Tower Bridge” (11)

- “Tower” (7)

My Picadilly (1) would not have gained much without the typo, however :-(

• ypercube at 2010-09-01

I was always thought (too) that it was “London Tower” and not “Tower of London”.

So I got: Tower (7)

Also:

rain (3)

fog (2)

• somar96 at 2010-09-02

wembley (2), arsenal (2). no football fans?? :(

• Dionysos at 2010-09-02

It's Tower of London, not London Tower - I used to live near it!

There's also The White Tower, which is a tower within a tower, a part of Tower of London. Did anyone get that? It's where the Coronation Jewels are - or maybe a facsimile of the real thing - that I don't know.

• Dionysos at 2010-09-02

Oh yes, and the name London Bridge is often mistakenly applied to Tower Bridge, which is the next bridge downstream.

• slaapgraag at 2011-01-28

Carl Sagan? I'm sorry to say I never heard of the guy (I heard of SETI, but Carl Sagan??). How come I win this topic after 5 minutes of Wiki?

• slaapgraag at 2011-02-03

Amsterdam - I scored 8 points with the soccer team I hate most :-(

• Aganju at 2011-02-11

Outdoor Sports without a playing field:

Tennis(5). Duh. And I always thought those white lines meant something.

Basketball(3). Yeah, too.

• kingofthebesI at 2011-02-12

Playing field to me meant grass/astroturf.

Basketball Court, Tennis Court!

• KPT at 2011-02-12

interesting.

• pgadey at 2011-02-23

Whenever something comes up that seems to me to be a “series” (primes, letters of the alphabet, etc.) I'm always torn between putting the first ten terms, or the most “common” ten terms. This time (consonants) everyone chose the first ten consonants in the English alphabet… Except me, I forgot j.

• ypercube at 2011-02-24

i forgot h :)

• slaapgraag at 2011-04-20

Islands - a repeated topic. The 'repeaters (141 points) were defeated by ladymarius (150). Well done!

• MarleysGhost at 2011-04-20

Yes, congratulations to ladymarius. IIRC it's only happened once before, by FatPhil.

LOL. It took me a while, but now I get it. ypercube forgot h.

• somar96 at 2011-04-20

I didn't know about the repeat and scored only 85 points :(

How did ladymarius win? Where did those 9 points come from? I don't get it.

somar, with a little research I think you can answer your own question. First, did ladymarius get the top 10 answers? Second, which were the answers of those who played the repeat?

• MRFvR at 2011-04-20

As somar96 must have seen by now, piece of cake: ladyme did get the top 10 answers in this game. From the previous occurence of “islands” as a topic 2 words didn't repeat the top10: ocean (7 points this time) and sea (6). They were replaced by japan (worth 13 points this time) and australia (9). Obviously, (13-7)+(9-6)=9 (Q.e.d.). Curiously enough, only the 6 repeaters played sea this time. The one benefit of players decrease seems a longshot chance for non-repeaters winning.

I still don't get the logic of “Australia” as an answer for “islands”.

• Aganju at 2011-04-20

The only reason Australia is not an island in convention. Looks like one to me - water all around it = island.

Like if pluto is a planet or not.

It's something more like “Australia has a continental shelf, but Greenland doesn't,” but don't hold me to the details.

• Aganju at 2011-04-20

ok, but does New Zealand have a continental shelf or is it an island? Maybe there is a clear rule, but my point is that the rule is arbitrary, as nature did not give a clear demarcation line between island and continent; it's our interpretation.

I could get used to call Australia an 'island'. Or America.

• Duke of Prunes at 2011-04-21

In my opinion, the biggest island is “Eurasia” ;-)

• MarleysGhost at 2011-04-21

I looked it up in wikipedia, and my impression of what I learned in 8th grade does not hold up. Greenland has continental shelf after all. The boundary between the smallest continent and largest island is arbitrary.

• Dvd Avins at 2011-04-28

@DukeOfPrunes Eurassica is bigger. Australia is the third largest land mass. (And no, the Suez Canal doesn't change anything, unless you consider all other canals that connect rivers with different estuaries to do likewise.)

• Dvd Avins at 2011-04-28

But I was wrong. Antarctica is 3rd. Australia is 4th. America is 2nd.

• MarleysGhost at 2011-04-29

I was sure Enterprise would be the number one answer. There have been three Star Trek TV series each with a distinct Enterprise, plus I'm not sure how many in the Star Trek movies, plus the prototype Space Shuttle.

I had the right ships to win, but lost 14 points because I spelled Millennium with one 'n' and Endeavour without the rather British-looking 'u'. D'oh!

• slaapgraag at 2011-05-06

dog names - another repeat -but a very very old one. LADYMARIUS DID IT AGAIN! Beating repeaters! Incredible!!!

• somar96 at 2011-05-09

I won the “snooker players” game?? I hate snooker and I know nothing about it so I just went to wikpiedia, copied a few names from the top and I am a winner by myself :o

• slaapgraag at 2011-05-11

I'm glad my 'ways to misspell daughter'-suggestion finaly made it. Roro had 11 points. What was his 2-points answer?

'son' made 4 points, never tought of that one!

• somar96 at 2011-05-11

I had son and glad it got that much :)

And my topic made it for the first time (Polish Cities), let's see bith how well I go and how people will cope with the Polish speeling :D

• somar96 at 2011-05-11

spelling**

• Hjallti ★ at 2011-05-11

***please do not discuss the ongoing game, you are already ruining it! ***

• somar96 at 2011-05-11

I don't think anything I said may ruin the game but I agree best keep quiet.

• MarleysGhost at 2011-05-11

The misspelling of daughter has shown up many times as a proposed topic. Who suggested it?

• slaapgraag at 2011-05-12

Marley's - read! Just a few lines before your post I said I did… I have hardly any inspiration for other topics ;-)

Somar, Hjallti is right: the golden rule is ***never*** say ***anything*** about the ongoiing game, or you'll be cursed with a terrible headache caused by 'the blue eyes problem'. (anyone has a link?)

• KPT at 2011-05-12

The blue-eyed islanders puzzle

http://bit.ly/ir9eMv

• MarleysGhost at 2011-05-12

@slaapgraag: D'oh! Maybe I need more sleep, too.

• somar96 at 2011-05-14

And I came 13th lol. I listed the biggest cities, No idea why Lublin came so high.

• MRFvR at 2011-05-16

Maybe Lublin came that high because they're hosting SFRA this year

• Aganju at 2011-05-16

The reason is simpler - when you google 'Polish Cities', the first link is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_and_towns_in_Poland, which (of course, coincidentally) lists as the top ten cities the ones that got the highest rating in GoE. Lublin is #9 there.

Wanna win GoE? Just use Google.

• somar96 at 2011-05-17

Possibly I made a mistake by inserting both Krakow and Cracow, as well as Warsaw and Warszawa. This way, there was no place for Lublin left…

• Aganju at 2011-05-19

Units of length: 'metre'(20) - ??? I thought this game is played in English? That is the french spelling, right? Or do 20 of 36 people not know how spell meter?

and there is kilometre, etc. I'm lost…

• MRFvR at 2011-05-19

Dear Aganju,

I believe Englishmen do speak English: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/metre

• Aganju at 2011-05-19

I knew that the Brits tend to switch ending -er to -re, like in center/centre, but I never saw it with meter. I would have bet my left arm that metre is not a correct English spelling. Good I didn't…

P.S. My browsers flags it as spelling error!

• kingofthebesI at 2011-05-19

I'd like the game to recognise metre/meter as the same answer, in the same way that plural and singular are.

Was aware of the issue and would have pointed it out but knew someone would complain, that I was talking about the ongoing topic!

• slaapgraag at 2011-05-20

i entered with metre and meter as well. Wiki told me te official SI-standard is 'metre', that's why.

• Hjallti ★ at 2011-05-20

I think it is part of the game to realize that both answer will be used and to 'guess' if the logical top answer with 2 spellings will make it in one or both into the top10. I once played this with students live with 5 answers and in one topic (I used my own name) both dutch words for teacher appeared. The few pupils entering them both won the game.

So I actually would dislike the double spelling to be not considered equal. That was also the reason I got upset with somar96 comment on it with the polish cities. When I read that I already had Krakow on my entry list in 2 spellings (Later I changed to the top10 of wikipedia).

BtW I took Krakau as second spelling, which would have been bad anyway.

• Hjallti ★ at 2011-05-20

Sorry I used a wrong double negation:

I would dislike the double spelling to considered as equal! It should be double.

• slaapgraag at 2011-05-20

I think the 'plural and singular' rule is hard to implement as a rule. Like misspellings are considered as another entry, i think - like Hjalti - different spellings shouldn't be considered equal.

• somar96 at 2011-05-20

I didn't know if to choose parsec or astronomical unit. I chose AU while parsec would havegiven me shared 1st :(

• somar96 at 2011-05-20

Hjallti I can't understand your Krakow post ;/

• FatPhil at 2011-05-20

Hjallti was refering back to your comment while the game was in progress:

““”

2011-05-11 somar96

And my topic made it for the first time (Polish Cities), let's see bith how well I go and how people will cope with the Polish speeling :D

““”

You made everyone pay attention to the fact that there are alternative spellings, and therefore changed the result.

Naughty boy!

• somar96 at 2011-05-23

I didn't think it would change anything - I'm very sorry for that

• slaapgraag at 2011-06-07

my magic powers: RoRo got only 10 points - so he has only magic powers noone else hase! *lol*

• MRFvR at 2011-06-08

it's possible that RoRoRo share some of its magical powers with us, mortal beings, since he sometimes submits less than 10 answers (check: he sometimes gets less than 10 points in Empathy)

• Aganju at 2011-06-08

he is playing 'Advanced Empathy' - you enter less than ten answers, and try to still win.

• FatPhil at 2011-06-08

I have no idea what RoRoRo submitted. I'm amazed that he submitted 10 different words, as that implies he was able to parse a webpage from one of the major search engines, even if to extract 10 nonsense 'words' from it.

He may have submitted A, BR, P, H1, SPAN, FONT, META, HEAD, BODY, nbsp given his current decrepitude.

• somar96 at 2011-07-03

I came 30th, scoring less than 30% of the winner points, in my own topic :(

• slaapgraag at 2011-07-15

'SOlar system' was a repeat! How come I ended up #16? (just 4 points down). Why is neptune so popular nowadays?

• somar96 at 2011-07-23

I didn't know it was a repeat but I still guessed all best answers :)

• slaapgraag at 2011-09-07

after the 'silece' round, last 7 games of the 6 highest rated 5 only played 6 games!

• lehmanns at 2011-09-28

It was the second time I had to decide if 'state' means 'the states' or 'any other state'. I failed aigain :-( Why do so much players think about the USA only? There are so much more states in the world ;-)

• somar96 at 2011-09-28

Thay are countries, not states.

• kingofthebesI at 2011-10-19

Countries are nation states, the interpretation is reasonable. In the USA the State Department deals with foreign relations!

Hollywood is so dominant in movies exported, USA is often called “The States” it is not surprising that people thought United States. Also I suspect google would assume you meant US States and google is a safe way to get the answers that most people using google have.

• slaapgraag at 2011-11-09

'picture'. My 10th entry was 'imagine'. I had no better option. Still got me 3 points!

• slaapgraag at 2011-11-24

“chess tournaments'- I won, with only 35 points. Must be one of the all-time-lowest winning scores.

• somar96 at 2011-11-24

This was my topic, and I thought that it was goiing to be easy to name 10 strong or famous chess tournaments. It seems that most LG members have absolutely no knowledge about it…

I came 2nd which isn't bad btw

• MarleysGhost at 2011-12-12

Aquatic mammals: How did “walrus” and “Walruses” get scored separately?

• Aganju at 2011-12-12

Because - and there are probably 973 threads about it if you care to dig - LG does not know singular and plural, it just adds an 's' at the end for plural, plus a (too) short exception list.

So 'mes' is considered the plural of 'me', 'mess' the plural of 'mes', and 'messs' the plural of 'mess', etc., …

• slaapgraag at 2012-04-16

At the 'dice'game, the top 3 on the last 7 games list didn't make the top 10 (Wojtex, Elisa and SG)

• slaapgraag at 2012-04-19

We recovered immediately. At the 'blue' game both top 3's (this game, last 7 games)are the people mentioned in my last post above.

• kingofthebesI at 2012-05-13

Medical Terms
    Last place scored 1 point, how often has that happened before?
    No answer was chosen by more than 8 of the 19 players!

• ypercube at 2012-05-17

The interesting thing about the last topic (egg) is that it has been will finished tomorrow: Past games

• MarleysGhost at 2012-06-17

I'm surprised Aluminium did better than Aluminum in the “metal” topic. Usually flavor, color etc. score higher than flavour, colour, etc.

• Pinobambu at 2012-06-18

I missed “tin”. I forgot that (in my opinion) tin is much more popular in English than in Spanish. About Aluminium, I think it is more similar in other languages “aluminio” in Spanish, “aluminium” in French, etc. Actually, I entered “Aluminium”.

• MRFvR at 2012-06-28

brown: I'd expect sugar to do much better than reality…

• ypercube at 2012-06-28

Yes, 6 lousy points :(

• slaapgraag at 2012-07-11

Funny, 'why didn't you chose my topic' was immediatly chosen….

• MarleysGhost at 2012-08-22

How can it be that only 12 of 27 players for the expression “money” mentioned the Euro? It's in the news practically every day.

• Xenophon at 2012-08-23

So, are some Bangladeshis gaming the system to pick the current question on Bangladeshi politicians? I see that the number of participants has also dropped from 25+ to 14.

• Elisa Kabiljo at 2012-11-02

In balloon topic no one mentioned Felix Baumgartner or something associated with him!

• celticjim at 2012-11-20

wow 4 people got all top ten answers in “fruit”.Can't believe 'bat' wasn't in top ten

• MarleysGhost at 2012-11-20

The top 10 answers were undoubtedly from a previous use of the same topic.

• slaapgraag at 2012-11-21

'fruit'was played 3 times before! no need to think about good answers…

• celticjim at 2012-12-07

ok thats weird.I finished first and really shouldn;t have.2 of 'my' answers (blanket and bear ) I did not choose………topic was 'fuzzy'

• MarleysGhost at 2013-02-27

“bra” and “panties” were the top-scoring answers to “underwear”. Was that despite the fact that most of the players are men? Or /because/ most of the players are men?

• ypercube at 2013-02-27

No, it was because sex has been banned. Otherwise, it would be “sex” and “bra”.

• MarleysGhost at 2013-03-20

I notice that the top three players for “bird” all had the same score and are all listed as rank 1, but in “Top 10 players of last seven games”, both Elisa Kabiljo and slaapgraag have 753 points, but they're ranked 1 and 2. Is there some unspoken tiebreaker that keeps them from being both listed as rank 1?

• slaapgraag at 2013-03-21

thx for noticing! :-)

• ypercube at 2013-03-21

@Marleys: Perhaps the player_id.

• slaapgraag at 2013-03-22

I''ll never be aaslaapgraag

• slaapgraag at 2013-03-22

yper: it's not! Elisa and I have again the same number of points, but now i'm #1?

• docfarm at 2013-04-28

Topic “Single things which are pairs in English”. Must I write 10 single words or 10 pairs of words?????

• terrance806 at 2013-04-28

it would seem it is a single word…..I also found it confusing. Obviously cannot give an example, but in English you say sometimes say “a pair of …..” for a single item. I suggest a quick google might help for examples.

• slaapgraag at 2013-07-08

scarecrow: so nice to have an Irsh winner! Its the 2nd time since half february the winner's flag is not blue/white/red ony.

• celticjim at 2013-09-03

yper–how do you possibly get just thirty something points in “wh” words? Are you playing your own game (“,)serious question

• celticjim at 2013-09-03

and another thing ….“wh” words and 7 people got “how” LOL

• MarleysGhost at 2013-09-06

“tooth” and “teeth” were scored separately for “implant” on 2013-09-05.

• MarleysGhost at 2013-09-30

No one tried “Frisco” for “San Francisco” on 2013-09-29? I guess the city's campaign to stamp out that nickname has worked.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic