Draughts tournament with moves already made? Draughts, Checkers

3 replies. Last post: 2023-05-02

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Draughts tournament with moves already made?
  • Oakmoss at 2023-05-01

Am I going nuts, or did this tournament start with three moves already made?

https://www.littlegolem.net/jsp/tournament/tournament.jsp?trnid=draughts.cv.ENG.11.1.1

Multiple games show three moves made, with the last move date/time the exact same as the game start date/time–game 2374140, for example, with a screemshot in case more moves happen again somehow:

A game of English Draughts between encio and Oakmoss, three moves in and showing a start and last move time of 5:48 on May 1st

Did I miss something about how this specific tournament was supposed to work, or did something go wrong in a new and exciting way? I'm almost as certain as I can be that I never touched any of these games.

• William Fraser at 2023-05-02

In high-level tournament (American) checkers, I believe that it is normal to start with 3 moves played. I'm not really a draughts or a checkers player, so I can't really say any more.

• Oakmoss at 2023-05-02

I searched a bit and it looks like you're right! I had no idea. It makes sense in retrospect, though. I have learned something today! Thanks!

What threw me even more is that I'm also in a monthly tournament that didn't do that, but Dvonn's implementation here does the same sort of thing. I don't recall the site saying on the tournament page or the LG Docs where it would be implemented, though.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic