PACMANIAC hasn't lost any games except one draw against SOLFAREMI
    SOLFAREMI
    and
    TOPTAL

• Wolfpack at 2022-11-02

So why in game 1.e6 2.f6 3.f5 4.d6 5.e7 6.f4
    plays 7.g4 estimated as a draw
    when 7.g5 is an estimated win for black of something like +3.37

most likely reason they are using an untrained WZebra Book which has built in mistakes to catch out cheaters

P.S. Even a non random WZebra will still behave slightly random due the method cache keys are generated to minimize collisions for a subset of positions

• Wolfpack at 2022-11-02

game 2338626

• Diamante at 2022-11-03

Buenas Pedro, me parece que te equivocas con Toptal es un jugador español verificado que juega torneos de othello.
    He jugado bastante partidas con Javier y nunca ha hecho trampas en 20 años que llevo jugando al juego.

Te dejo dos páginas web para que veas que no hace trampas:

https://www.eothello.com/player/1325
    https://www.worldothello.org/ratings/player?playerID=4875

Un saludo!! :)

• Wolfpack at 2022-11-03

The first post only suggests that player 152553 aka pacmaniac is cheating
    They also suggest they have had 1 draw but also supply another name, but they have had only one draw
    My post suggests that the draw was due to them using a program such as WZebra which has a strong book with mistakes built into it to detect cheaters
    Human players are more likely to play 10x10, 12x12 if they have the time, 6x6 if in a rush, octagon (@eothello) if they need more corners, Anti (@eothello) if don't flipping want a lot

• Pinobambu at 2022-11-03

So why in game 1.e6 2.f6 3.f5 4.d6 5.e7 6.f4

plays 7.g4 estimated as a draw

when 7.g5 is an estimated win for black of something like +3.37

Not sure, but 7.G4 must be a common move when playing over the board (OTB) games. In any case, with WZebra you can load databases with hundreds of OTB tournaments and check it yourself.

What Diamante says is right, Toptal is a known Spanish player. I don't think his rating here to be higher than his actual skill.

About SOLFAREMI, I'm not sure, but a quick search tells me he might be Marc Tastet (?)

By the way, it's sad there weren't Spanish players in the last World Othello Championship: https://woc2022.worldothello.org/

• Pinobambu at 2022-11-03

The first post only suggests that player 152553 aka pacmaniac is cheating

But he's talking in plural: “a few cheaters”…

In any case, it might be what you say, you can forget my previous post : )

• ypercube at 2022-11-03

SOLFAREMI is not a cheater. He is indeed Marc, well known French Othello player.

@Pinobambu ^^

• pedropajarito at 2022-11-06

OK, sorry guys if anybody is offended. It's clear now that both SOLFAREMI and TOPTAL are genuine players, my bad.

• SOLFAREMI at 2023-02-21

I just found this discussion looking for something else. For your knowledge, pedropajarito, I've been Othello World Champion in 1992, which means I might be slightly more experienced than you in this game… If you want to play vs. me in real life, I'll play in an Othello tournament in Barcelona, March 18th and 19th 2023 and I invite you to come and play with me! Toptal might be there also. Maybe in the future, you should be more careful before accusing anyone…

• Wolfpack at 2023-02-21

Two humans could easily play “perfect” moves if they memorised some of my slim draw books (see profile), but if expecting each other of doing what they are doing would try to exit the book with a possible (like -1.20) draw maybe around move 20

• Oakmoss at 2023-02-21

I wonder if there's a name for that dubious honor–maybe we'll call it the “suspicion threshold”–the point beyond which a person is so skilled at a game that accusations of cheating jump to mind in a lot of people and even start flying from the tongue.

It's a pretty nebulous concept, but no more vaguely-defined than 99.9% of cheating accusations.

• Roel at 2023-09-12

The game 1.e6 2.f6 3.f5 4.d6 5.e7 6.f4 was mentioned.

In this position, this early in the game, it's not so much a choice of what move is best, but also what is your preference. 7. g5 is the only winning move here, but it in the old days it was considered a draw by the computers (if I'm not mistaken). Anyway, basically all responses in this position are very much playable. My personal preference is g4, because I know that opening the best and know many replies, whereas I would be out of book much sooner with g5.
    Probably someone else has g6 or c6 as a personal preference.

I can't detect a cheater in this stage of the game and even in later stages I would be very careful before accusing someone. Best is to not worry about it. If someone is a cheater, he'd be bored by it after some time, whereas players who actually love the game will still play if after twenty years.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic