Suggestion: hex on a 40by40 square board Hex, Havannah

13 replies. Last post: 2018-08-15

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Suggestion: hex on a 40by40 square board
  • dranba at 2018-07-08

The way to play hex on a square go like board is to have a go board with a line running through SW to NE diagonals of each square of the board representing that path of diagonal connectivity. So all directions of connectivity would be shown by lines on the board. Unlike in a go board where the diagonal connectivity of cells is not marked by lines. Playing big board hex is better on a square board because of spatial efficiency of square compared to diamond shape board.

• David J Bush ★ at 2018-07-08

What do you want us to do?

• dranba at 2018-07-08

I dont think you are in a position to do anything except maybe give me your thoughts on my idea. This suggestion is directed mainly at the devs.

• simpledeep at 2018-07-08

If you use the design scheme button you will find a board with pieces on intersections, so that would have the lines marking connectivity. But unfortunately for you it's diamond shaped… If you have any graphic design skills you could probably make the image and get it added in with the other schemes.

• ypercube at 2018-07-09

“spatial efficiency of square compared to diamond shape board”

Not really. The diamond shape is equivalent to hexagon tiled board. Looks more efficient to me.

• HappyHippo at 2018-07-09

40x40 is enormous. 19x19 already takes a very long time.

If we're going to add a new size I'd rather 15x15

• fastplayer at 2018-07-20

grid style was the one originally suggested by John Nash, perhaps inspired by go.

• ypercube at 2018-07-21

@kocbftn, @fastplayer, there are a few “design schemes” available for hex in the site. I'm not sure I understand the suggestion here.

One of the schemes is a parallelogram board with diagonals (in one diagonal direction). How does the suggestion here would differ from that - to look more square shape than diamond shape it looks like now?

• fastplayer at 2018-07-21

playing at intersections, similar to go.

• fastplayer at 2018-07-21

forget one diagonal in the previous post…

• ypercube at 2018-07-21

In my opinion, there is only one “pro” of this design vs the “diamond” shape: slightly better fit in a rectangular screen.

The con is that the distances between adjacent points / stones are not equal.

• HappyHippo at 2018-07-21

Standard patterns (like bridges) will look different in different orientations.

• lazyplayer ★ at 2018-08-15

HappyHippo, exactly, that's why this visualization is inferior.

Return to forum

Reply to this topic