Adidas Hex Hex, Havannah

7 replies. Last post: 2019-03-13

Reply to this topic Return to forum

Adidas Hex
  • Tony at 2019-03-03

Adidas Hex is played on a soccerball with 20 hexes and 12 pentagons.

rules for Adidas Hex

The rule guide includes a comparison with Projex / Renkula.

• David J Bush ★ at 2019-03-03

Interesting concept, and it has the advantage that boards are available. Still, 32 cells make a small grid. Here's one type of (geodesic?} polyhedron which might be used:

Consider the heavy lines only; ignore the triangles. The result might not be geodesic but it is a polyhedron. The red and green cells correspond to the standard soccer ball cells. Maybe the green cells could also be colored yellow, to avoid confusion if one player is using green tokens. Around each  pentagon, 6 yellow hexagons are added. We could call this “adding one ring” arouind each pentagon. So that is 6x12 = 72 more cells, for a total of 104. I believe this process could be taken further by adding more rings of hexagons, although I'm not sure what the cell count would be. A virtual board could be represented on a flat surface with a pentagon in the center, which would correspond to yellow's first move, and the opposite pentagon would be the region surrounding the entire structure. If green chooses this outside pentagon as yellow's other goal, then the object ffor yellow is to connect the center to any of the five outside cells, or block green from connecting their goals.

Also I wouild recommend a form of the swap rule, but not immediately after yellow's first move, which is isomorphic with playing in any other pentagon. After green's initial double move (place a green goal and yellow's second goal,) then yellow decides whether to swap sides or not. After that, whoever is yellow makes a double move of choosing green's other goal and placing a yellow token, and play continues at one token per move.

Uh maybe the first player could be blue

• Tony at 2019-03-05

Thanks for your analysis, David.

Where you wrote: Around each  pentagon, 6 yellow hexagons are added. We could call this “adding one ring” arouind each pentagon.

I assume you mean 5 hexagons. Yes, this way the order of the truncated icosaeder rises one size.

Of course players can also be red and blue on a black and white adidas ball.

I like your option to add a swap rule in the middle of the two second moves that are chosen by the opponent. I would recommend to add this option only for experienced players.

As of yet I played maybe ten games on a real soccerball; I would welcome more players.

• Carroll at 2019-03-05

Yes David they are called fullerenes from the architect Richard Buckminster Fuller…

• David J Bush ★ at 2019-03-13

Tony yes I should have said a ring of five, sorry.

Carroll thanks for the info!

Return to forum

Reply to this topic